Actually timing of Traditional Dining?

canadarocks

Although the two choices for Traditional Dining are listed as 5pm and 7:15pm for our upcoming Caribbean Crown Princess cruise.... what are the ACTUAL times? This past year the early traditional was indeed at 5pm, which was too early for us. On a recent Caribbean Regal Princess cruise the actual dining times were 5:30pm and 7:45pm.

That half hour could make a huge difference to us, just because of the scheduling of evening activities. The variability is incredibly frustrating..... Why does Princess do this?!?

• Like 2

When we were doing it a couple of years ago, prior to boarding it was supposed to be a 6 pm, once on board it was 5:30, they are making it earlier and earlier.  They told us if we were late we would expected to by out before 7.  
Last year we did Anytime dining, they started to open at 4:45 because the line up was getting too long.

CROWN was 5:00pm and 7:15pm, but there may be opportunities for some flexibility, depending on the MD and table location.  The first two nights in my experience, they want you close to the time due to crowds (assuming the second night is first formal).

BTW, I was quite surprised at the amount of what I would call formal wear (suits, or at least jackets, plus long dresses or similar "dressiness") on both formal nights just this past cruise.  Seemed highest I recall for Caribbean zone in recent years.  Friends said not that formal during actual winter season.  Interesting.  I did dress pants, LS dress shirt and tie.  So did my friend.  

8 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

CROWN was 5:00pm and 7:15pm, but there may be opportunities for some flexibility, depending on the MD and table location.  The first two nights in my experience, they want you close to the time due to crowds (assuming the second night is first formal).

When was this please?

Yes, I completely agree. Does anyone know who decides on the traditional dining times on each ship? I understand that different factors (like itinerary) can affect the early and late dining times on any given cruise but I wish the dining choices on our cruise personalizer is more accurate. It really makes a difference in planning. For example, if early is 5:15PM and late is 7:15PM, I would choose late dining. However, if early is 5:45PM and late is 7:45PM, I would choose early dining.

Does anyone know the actual traditional dining times for Caribbean Princess (for Caribbean sailings)? 

6 hours ago, canadarocks said:

Exactly my point jujuyu211. I am fine to accept the timing of the traditional dining.. but when we've actually booked and paid for a cruise, why on earth can they not tell us what the actual times are??????

Probably because the actual time has not been 100% determined.

I just consider the early/late requests just to be a place holder, not a specific time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jujuyu211 said:

Does anyone know the actual traditional dining times for Caribbean Princess (for Caribbean sailings)? 

Here were the dining time on the CB last Nov, 2018. They might be similar this year, who knows?

image.png.c0c8e094e457ddc7afeeb3d76de9a137.png

I agree that this is my main concern at this point in the cruise process, Dining times.  5:00pm is too early and 7:15pm is too late.  To top it off, time changes on the second morning of the cruise.  So the 5:00pm EDT dinner time becomes 4:00pm, way too early. However, the showtimes in the evening are affecting our dinner time selection also.  Ugh, first world problems.

15 hours ago, canadarocks said:

That half hour could make a huge difference to us, just because of the scheduling of evening activities. The variability is incredibly frustrating..... Why does Princess do this?!?

How do you schedule your "evening activities" before you get on the ship and see what/when they occur?

13 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

We always  book late dining & expect 7:15 to 7 :30 PM  ,table for 2 

13 hours ago, jujuyu211 said:

Yes, I completely agree. Does anyone know who decides on the traditional dining times on each ship? I understand that different factors (like itinerary) can affect the early and late dining times on any given cruise but I wish the dining choices on our cruise personalizer is more accurate. It really makes a difference in planning. For example, if early is 5:15PM and late is 7:15PM, I would choose late dining. However, if early is 5:45PM and late is 7:45PM, I would choose early dining.

13 hours ago, canadarocks said:

Exactly my point jujuyu211. I am fine to accept the timing of the traditional dining.. but when we've actually booked and paid for a cruise, why on earth can they not tell us what the actual times are??????

6 hours ago, caribill said:

Probably because the actual time has not been 100% determined.

I just consider the early/late requests just to be a place holder, not a specific time.

47 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

How do you schedule your "evening activities" before you get on the ship and see what/when they occur?

IMO, the offered times in Princess booking engine (5:00pm & 7:15pm) are pretty much the standard now.  Might see some variation by only 15 minutes.  Previously, when we had three times offered (two early and one late), the times were place-holders and things would vary by ship and MD.  Now, it seems things are pretty standard since things have settled down from Princess setting new earlier dining times.  We have stuck with the early dining since we prefer to catch early shows as well.  I do find there is some flexibility in arrival time (after first night and excepting first formal night), depending on MD and specific dining location.  I prefer to be in a mid-ship DR and have ATD following at our table.  The MD still has discretion AFAIK, so I don't think actual times can be provided in the Cruise Personalizer even now.

As for scheduling, I wouldn't worry about that as main evening events are scheduled with the dining times in mind - just as they were before.  That means shows are also starting a little earlier.  As we all know the daily Patter is published in the dinner time period for the following day, so there is plenty of time to think about the evening plan.

Edited by steelers36

As of the end of the Europe season and last year South America were these times generally accurate for fixed dining?

I had read previously that destinations outside North America were still considerably later.

We always take late traditional and 7:15 isn’t really very late particularly after a full day shorex.

24 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Looking at Crown Princess next year we dont eat until 8pm -8.30pm normally so i guess ATD will be best for us but will we be frowned on for dining so late?

Not at all and there are no lines at all at that time of night. 

We normally stop by for after dinner coffee & dessert around that time after seeing the show. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/17/2019 at 8:26 PM, jujuyu211 said:

We are in a similar position . We booked late seating that is supposed to be at 7:15 . That's what our booking and the Princess site say . However we have read reports of 7:45 in both reviews and other booking sites . We are hoping and expecting the time to be as Princess confirmed . 

3 hours ago, MauiLvrs said:

In Caribbean Princess it has been reported to be 15-30 Minutes later than scheduled on the website at between 7:30&7:45

On a recent CB cruise, early fixed was at 5:15 and 5:30. Late seating was at 7:45. This according to Patters posted.

• Like 1