VIFP Question....

FLASHINGLIGHTS83

1 hour ago, FLASHINGLIGHTS83 said:

I have been on one Carnival cruise, and do not know too much about the VIFP program.   I know you earn one point per night sailing.   Is there anyway to earn 2 points per night?   For example if you stay in a suite, or a certain category cabin?   Thanks in advance!

Greg

A perfectly legitimate question, but unfortunately one that will bring on commentary. Some other lines do give bonus points  for booking suites; as noted, Carnival does not. There are folks who would like to see that happen, others who will defend to the death the way things are! As a newbie, you had no way of knowing that; sorry about the response you got. Me, I'd love to see the bonus points; meanwhile I happily travel on multiple lines and earn my perks where I can! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, panoramaofthepast said:

A perfectly legitimate question, but unfortunately one that will bring on commentary. Some other lines do give bonus points  for booking suites; as noted, Carnival does not. There are folks who would like to see that happen, others who will defend to the death the way things are! As a newbie, you had no way of knowing that; sorry about the response you got. Me, I'd love to see the bonus points; meanwhile I happily travel on multiple lines and earn my perks where I can! 

Yes....Royal offers double points for Junior Suites and higher I believe....that is the only one I know about.   

1 minute ago, FLASHINGLIGHTS83 said:

Yes....Royal offers double points for Junior Suites and higher I believe....that is the only one I know about.   

The other perk that goes along with the bonus points on RCI is reciprocal status with Celebrity, so my D status on one = Elite on the other. I would love to see reciprocal status among Carnival, Princess and Holland America! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, panoramaofthepast said:

The other perk that goes along with the bonus points on RCI is reciprocal status with Celebrity, so my D status on one = Elite on the other. I would love to see reciprocal status among Carnival, Princess and Holland America! 

I recently found out that MSC cruises matches a host of other cruise lines status.......even though there is no affiliation.   Kind of interesting.  

Going somewhat off the the OP question, but I have reading several boards just like these. Do you think that  it's one of those business moves due to Carnival maybe taking away passengers so the other cruise lines offers sweet membership points.  Carnival knows people are going to come back, so they don't change their point value system. I personally don't think it is a very good move and maybe they will change in the future. It's obvious they can maintain their base of passengers, but how do they keep the newbies long enough to become loyal customers? A rumor I have also been reading that Carnival may change their point system (of course to make it harder to reach Gold/Plat. Cruising a particular line is a personal preference. There are a lot of post that does indicate they would rather cruise Carnival than some of the other lines. AND I am sure vise versa.  This is  a new hobby for us, so we are learning.   Happy Cruising. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FLASHINGLIGHTS83 said:

I recently found out that MSC cruises matches a host of other cruise lines status.......even though there is no affiliation.   Kind of interesting.  

I think they do this to help gain market share.  I expect that once they gain a large enough US following the status matching would disappear. 

3 hours ago, grantbob said:

If you decide to join the VIFP club you can get the points from your first cruise even though you were not VIFP at the time.

Actually, as soon as you book a cruise, you are automatically assigned a VIFP number. Everyone who sails gets points.  There is no opting in necessary.

18 hours ago, panoramaofthepast said:

A perfectly legitimate question, but unfortunately one that will bring on commentary. Some other lines do give bonus points  for booking suites; as noted, Carnival does not. There are folks who would like to see that happen, others who will defend to the death the way things are! 

But to be fair   those other cruise lines charge an arm and a leg for suites    so yea  I can see two points for those.  But Carnival suites are not prices like that    That is not comparing apples to apples.