Cruise Critic Community

only the social package is daily and is really a messaging platform, no internet surfing

In buying the internet plan, they charge each person in the cabin for the plan and then it says that it can only be accessed one at a time.  Does that mean my husband and i cannot be on the internet at the same time?

38 minutes ago, coevan said:

only the social package is daily and is really a messaging platform, no internet surfing

That's incorrect. You CAN go on various different social media platforms, via your browser, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.

54 minutes ago, coevan said:

I don’t think this is correct. On my recent Splendor TP, after we sailed from Guam, I looked at plans and the Social was not available daily, only for remainder of cruise.

Only the Value and Premium were available for a daily price. 

I also found this:

NOTE: As of November 2, 2018, Carnival raised the price of its basic internet plan by 60%. The new price for the "social media package" is USD 8 per day ($6,80 per day if pre-purchased prior departure). Day plans for this package are not available - must be purchased cruise-long package. The old price for the social media package was USD 5 per day ($4 per day if pre-purchased).

Edited by crzndeb

16 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

That's incorrect. You CAN go on various different social media platforms, via your browser, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.

the first 3 are messaging platforms, YouTube is not and you will not be able to stream anything. I know what is on Carnival's website, but I do remember only being able to buy for the week, a discount is offered if you buy pre cruise

I buy one plan, the middle one, and last cruise we shared it between 4 people. It became a game, of kick dad off the net. The account is tied to the purchaser's folio number.  As others have posted, you can surf most of the social media sights with it. Another trick is finding the best spots for a good signal. Our balcony wasn't a strong spot.

21 hours ago, coevan said:

Actually the social package is only available for the entire length of the cruise (which it looks like you state later).   The two higher level plans are available for a daily purchase once onboard (did not appear to be able to do daily pre-purchase), but it is at a higher daily rate.  If you only need to check things one day though it can be the most cost effective and should be better speed to get the mid level plan for that one day.

21 hours ago, TexasCruiser5522 said:

In buying the internet plan, they charge each person in the cabin for the plan and then it says that it can only be accessed one at a time.  Does that mean my husband and i cannot be on the internet at the same time?

They charge each folio number that purchases a plan.  The plan/folio number can only be accessed by one device at a time.  If you and your husband each purchase you can each be on your own device, if you share a plan you need to take turns.

4 hours ago, coevan said:

the first 3 are messaging platforms, YouTube is not and you will not be able to stream anything. I know what is on Carnival's website, but I do remember only being able to buy for the week, a discount is offered if you buy pre cruise

Edited by pacruise804

5 hours ago, coevan said:

the first 3 are messaging platforms

I guess you haven't been on Instagram lately.

or ever, talking about watching videos on Youtube specifically

The Social plan is more than just a messaging plan. Twitter, facebook, and instagram are social media platforms, not messaging platforms. Facebook has its own, separate messaging service. It also includes Pinterest, LinkedIn, and airline websites. Plus the messaging services. It's the only plan that cannot be purchased on a 24-hour basis.

On 11/17/2019 at 7:02 PM, jaymarycruisers said:

can you buy by the day or do you have to have a weekly package

The price is listed as 'per day', but you can only purchase it for the entire cruise.  To verify that I just did a phantom purchase for my upcoming cruise, it was only possible to get it for all 5 days at x dollars per day.

44 minutes ago, groundloop said:

The price is listed as 'per day', but you can only purchase it for the entire cruise.  To verify that I just did a phantom purchase for my upcoming cruise, it was only possible to get it for all 5 days at x dollars per day.

Just to clarify and avoid any possible confusion, since the OP didn't specify a plan, only the Social plan has to be purchased for the entire cruise. The Value and Premium plans can be purchased on a 24-hour basis.

10 hours ago, groundloop said:

You are sort of right.  You can only pre-purchase all three plans for the entire cruise.  Once on board, you can purchase the Value and Premium services by the day.  The Social Media plan is only available for the entire cruise no matter when you purchase it.