Are these medals going to be colored ?

pink845

Yes, the Medallions are color coded (just like the cards).  We always smile at the large number of cruisers who prefer to wear their cards (or Medallions) around their neck (and often make sure the color is pointed out).  We even see folks wearing this stuff when ashore (in some ports it will help guarantee you are given the highest prices).  In the cruise port where we live during the winter months it is pretty common for taxi drivers to charge higher prices to cruisers...and seeing those cruise cards/medallions is very helpful :).  We have also heard of shop keepers also taking advantage of cruisers who are often the most naïve when it comes to prices (and the quality) of what they purchase.

When we had to use Medallions (Caribbean Princess) the cruise line only provided free neck lanyards (you could purchase other type carriers).  I usually kept mine in a pocket and DW would sometimes wear her lanyard (if she had no pockets) but keep it under her top.

Hank

45 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Yes, the Medallions are color coded (just like the cards).  We always smile at the large number of cruisers who prefer to wear their cards (or Medallions) around their neck (and often make sure the color is pointed out).  We even see folks wearing this stuff when ashore (in some ports it will help guarantee you are given the highest prices).  In the cruise port where we live during the winter months it is pretty common for taxi drivers to charge higher prices to cruisers...and seeing those cruise cards/medallions is very helpful :).  We have also heard of shop keepers also taking advantage of cruisers who are often the most naïve when it comes to prices (and the quality) of what they purchase.

When we had to use Medallions (Caribbean Princess) the cruise line only provided free neck lanyards (you could purchase other type carriers).  I usually kept mine in a pocket and DW would sometimes wear her lanyard (if she had no pockets) but keep it under her top.

Hank

Seems to me that noticing the color of a cruise card or medallion on a lanyard says more about the person noticing it (jealousy?) than the person wearing it. Me, I don’t care for lanyards, but my wife usually wears a lanyard because she often doesn’t have pockets. Heck, it took us multiple cruises to even notice they offered different colored cards/lanyards. Again, I have to ask, why would anyone care what color you have?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pablo222 said:

I often have people ask me how many cruises I have been up, apparently trying to one-up me.

So have we. It’s all part of conversation starting when you meet new people on board, where we all have something in common - cruising.  I just don’t get how that is trying to one-up anyone. It’s nice to see where people have been, & share experiences, & helps in making new friends. 

• Like 2

I use a clip-on device (that I used to keep my work badge on) that can clip to my clothing...top or bottom...or just be dropped into my pocket or purse. I actually didn't mind the medallion but it either seemed to open my cabin door when I was fairly far away or it wouldn't open it at all while I stood right in front of the door...guess it's not really developed properly yet.  But I still needed a regular "key card" to get into the Concierge Lounge as I was in a suite...kind of a pain to have to carry both.

Edited by Go-Bucks!

40 minutes ago, richsea said:

So have we. It’s all part of conversation starting when you meet new people on board, where we all have something in common - cruising.  I just don’t get how that is trying to one-up anyone. It’s nice to see where people have been, & share experiences, & helps in making new friends. 

One question we ask table mates at dinner and at lunch in the MDR is what was their favorite cruise. We get some great info and find cruises to put on our bucket list as well as find people we may have cruised with before.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, richsea said:

I just don’t get how that is trying to one-up anyone. It’s nice to see where people have been, & share experiences, & helps in making new friends. 

Based on the asking person's demeanor:

"I've been on sixty cruises and am very important; how few have you been on?"

...kind of thing.

I don't think it's at all unusual to encounter the self-important on cruises.

And, of course, it is also normal shipboard conversation as well.

What was your favorite cruise, etc.

On Disney, they give you a color coded lanyard when you check in at the terminal. Prior to my first Disney cruise, a relative gave me her Elite equivalent lanyard. I wore it the first couple days on board, and after one too many staff commented on my Elite status (Platinum I think on Disney) I stopped wearing it. I was a newbie to cruising in general, and wanted to be able to ask questions and not feel stupid for not knowing something.

1 hour ago, pablo222 said:

Based on the asking person's demeanor:

"I've been on sixty cruises and am very important; how few have you been on?"

...kind of thing.

I don't think it's at all unusual to encounter the self-important on cruises.

And, of course, it is also normal shipboard conversation as well.

What was your favorite cruise, etc.

Guess I’ll consider myself lucky to have not met anyone that boorish. Yikes!😳

• Like 1

18 hours ago, pablo222 said:

I often have people ask me how many cruises I have been up, apparently trying to one-up me.

I don't see the harm in asking but I always low-ball the number to let them feel better if they do ask. It must make them feel better knowing their level is higher.