iMessage home on NCL?

sardam

I haven't been on NCL in a few years.  I've been on a few other lines in the meantime.  Some lines and ships have an app and because of the limited amount of wifi let through to connect to the app you are able to access imessaging without any internet plan on board.  Does this leak of wifi happen on NCL as well with their app?  I would like to be able to contact my kids at home while I'm on board.  Thanks

22 minutes ago, erdoran said:

Depending on your carrier, you can do email to text -for example 3022345678@vtext.com for the email address.  Give it a try from home or check with your carrier.  That will work.  

This is completely different to the OP's question....... in the past (before NCL upgraded their wireless infrastructure) people with iPhones were able to IMessage other iPhones without needing to purchase a wireless package.  NCL has since turned of that port (capability) and iMessages require a wireless package.

My family uses WhatsApp when we travel..... we have an assortment of phones (Android and Apple) so this is a great solution. It does require the Social Media Package though. 

47 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

interesting thread. is this why. 3 years ago. i had internet off but id get notifications that someone played my words with friends games. i never understood it, nor cared to. but it was almost like there was some secret internet on my phone. 

Notifications were allowed through by NCL without a wireless package howvere I am not sure they still do that. You couldn't respond to the notifications or see further details. 

1 hour ago, luckyinpa said:

interesting thread. is this why. 3 years ago. i had internet off but id get notifications that someone played my words with friends games. i never understood it, nor cared to. but it was almost like there was some secret internet on my phone. 

NCL might be blocking certain traffic.  Although that seems wrong if you are paying for internet. 

One method to avoid blocking of ports is to use a VPN that creates a "tunnel" to a land based connection that isn't blocked.  It's also more secure for certain things.  Many free VPN apps available.

8 minutes ago, Russ_MT said:

NCL might be blocking certain traffic.  Although that seems wrong if you are paying for internet. 

One method to avoid blocking of ports is to use a VPN that creates a "tunnel" to a land based connection that isn't blocked.  It's also more secure for certain things.  Many free VPN apps available.

Yes. But VPNs require the premium unlimited Wi-Fi plan. The OP is asking a simple question about Wi-Fi leaks allowing iMessage specifically. The answer is “no”. Any leaks were plugged about 3 years ago. 

7 minutes ago, Russ_MT said:

The question was asked concerning notifications when no internet package was bought so there was no blocking of a paid service

Just an FYI, a VPN does not open "blocked ports" that an internet provider blocks at the firewall, etc. A blocked port is a blocked port.

But using a VPN when using public internet is always the best way to go for security. 

12 minutes ago, Russ_MT said:

Good OP.   I believe iMessage used to work without Internet package.   That was years ago when we were on Escape.   The IT depts on these lines are getting smarter.

It's not that IT departments are getting smaller that iMessage doesn't work it's that security conscious internet providers (NCL in this case) are tightening things up...... not to mention the accounting dept loves the added revenue to capture those iMessage users. 

Edited by esm54687

4 hours ago, esm54687 said:

My family uses WhatsApp when we travel..... we have an assortment of phones (Android and Apple) so this is a great solution. It does require the Social Media Package though. 

I have been told that WhatsApp is the best way to communicate onboard. Eliminates excess phone charges.

2 hours ago, esm54687 said:

Notifications were allowed through by NCL without a wireless package howvere I am not sure they still do that. You couldn't respond to the notifications or see further details. 

I used to get the notifications while on a NCL cruise. But I haven't for the ones I've been on this year. And probably last year, but I can't be sure I'm recalling right.

I'm coming in at the middle of a post that went the wrong direction but it is now where I'm needing to be...VPNs.  I need to do business while on the ship and it should be accessed securely.  I am not accessing a "company" website but various banking websites so the privacy is imperative. I'm trying to research how to do this (with a VPN?) and I'd prefer to do it on the ship if possible so I don't waste port days. DH is good with this stuff but we have no experience with VPNs. I will have a laptop. Can anyone recommend a secure way for me to do a few hours of work/week on the ship securely. We have the unlimited plan but not the premium plan.  Thanks in advance!

28 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

Thanks for that info. I’ve seen the packages described before, but obviously wasn’t paying attention to VPN.

I do enjoy cruising with NCL, but some of their pricing is just over the top greedy. 

Jumping in and changing the subject a little but I do have an internet question. I have the 250 minutes of anytime use. Does this mean I could call my husband from the ship through facebook messenger using that? Do you receive a message once you have reached your 250 minutes?

Edited by Mrs. Ram

22 minutes ago, Mrs. Ram said:

Do you receive a message once you have reached your 250 minutes?

As you log in/log out you get a page showing what your usage so far is and what your remaining time is.  You want to be sure to visit logout.com to send your session when you're done or your time will be consumed in 5-6 hours.

I didn't try using Facebook Messenger since I don't use that app so I can't speak to that part...

• Like 1