Buying Arctic Clothes in Buenos Aires??

LocoLoco1

Doing a 48-day 'round' South America with 1 carry-on and $Free Laundry$ aboard. Q:Perhaps I buy Tees & shorts in FLL Wal-Mart, and Cold-weather gear in Buenos Aires?? Then give the Parka/Sweater away in..say, Santiago, Chile?? Anybody dun it...??

Answer: March-May 2020  on HAL from Florida to Vancouver, BC via Cape Horn. I'm asking: Is it reasonable to find Cold Weather gear in Buenos Aires or Montevideo  ? I don't intend to lug my Arctic gear from Minnesota, USA in suitcases if I can find suitable clothes prior to rounding Cape Horn. I'm used to -40/F weather...but I prefer to travel very light if I can to $save$ brutal luggage charges and my back. Anybody dun it??

I leave for a Santiago to Buenos Aires cruise in a month but also spending a lot of time both pre and post cruise in Chili and Argentina. I will experience a variety of weather from cold in the Andes to hot & humid at Iguazu Falls.Therefore I’m finding packing challenging because I also travel light with one roll aboard bag, one tote bag, and the heaviest outerwear I will need for that trip. Can’t answer your specific questions, but personally, I would prefer spending the money checking my bag, which I have done occasionally, over spending precious time & money shopping for cold weather gear that apparently you already own. Just a thought. 

11 hours ago, SrCruizer said:

I would prefer spending the money checking my bag, which I have done occasionally, over spending precious time & money shopping for cold weather gear that apparently you already own.

I agree. What are we talking about to check a bag?  $30? $50 even/ Nothing compared to buying things there of quality to actually keep you warm. And as you say missing the important 'stuff.'

And check to see what kinda temps you should expect. We used to live in snow country - NOTHING like you - and we tolerate temps that many aren't willing to.  As you already know, layers. A cap and glove and socks. We were on a Norwegian coastal cruise in March and I took a knee-length down North Face jacket/coat. When not needed I used a compression bag which made the jacket insignificant in size.  You could use the same with other outer wear. Have a GREAT time.

I have a unique 'Itinerary' that precludes me hauling any suitcases from Minnesota, as I Fly into FLL thence to Quito, Ecuador etc etc THEN back to Florida to meet my wife for the 48-day cruise, disembarking in Canada. Luggage is not gonna happen, IMHO. So...I suspect I will grab a Taxi in Montevideo and ask for a ride to a Goodwill Store if need be. Was just curious if anyone had a handle on Argentine, or Urug. cold weather clothing availability. Yes, it's a weird question, but....

15 hours ago, LocoLoco1 said:

I have a unique 'Itinerary' that precludes me hauling any suitcases from Minnesota, as I Fly into FLL thence to Quito, Ecuador etc etc THEN back to Florida to meet my wife for the 48-day cruise, disembarking in Canada. Luggage is not gonna happen, IMHO. So...I suspect I will grab a Taxi in Montevideo and ask for a ride to a Goodwill Store if need be. Was just curious if anyone had a handle on Argentine, or Urug. cold weather clothing availability. Yes, it's a weird question, but....

What about if your wife brought what you're going to need for the cruise. Pay excess baggage charges. Goodwill in Montevideo?  I'm guessing you don't really mean Goodwill. But do you speak Spanish well enough to communicate what yuo want?

We spent several days during the New Year in the antarctic waters on a HAL cruise. Found out that the freezing temperatures did not materialize and that we overpacked. A few comments:

--Where are you going to find Goodwill stores in BA or Montevideo? You sure they even exist.

--Unless you have language skills that I don't, you will waste time and get frustrated.

What we do in these kinds of situations is to wear our outerwear on the plane. Admittedly we fly from point A to point B, without intermediate stops in other places. But taking along the heavy clothing (ie what you would wear in Canadian winter) seems advisable. Unless you know the shopping scene, you will be wasting money.

Then there is the question of sizes which may or may not be the same, or the availability of a particular size. Which is the reason I increasingly buy off-the-rack stuff in the U.S. on the Internet because I don't want to go to physical stores only to find out they don't have what I want.

Your vacations should be stress free. 

Edited by barante

Si, hablo Espanol. I got it covered folks.. (pun intended). A Montevideo source reports good Hiking/Outerwear store is close to the Cruise Terminal. Done. Thankful... another nice cruise with nary a suitcase. I love HAL's $Free$ laundry. LocoLoco1 TOM

• Like 1