MONKEY/SLOTH "ZOOS COMPARISON - We've visited all 3!

#1TravelMom

You can use Ronytours.com or Daniel's tour service.  We have used Rony for years.     We schedule the freestyle private tour with him because we like the freedom to do everything exactly at the times we would like. If we see something along the way that we'd like to stop and see or photograph, we just ask him to stop. If we want to the stay longer at the beach, etc. we do not have to meet a schedule. LFK Is expensive, so we don't like to go with a tour that cuts the day short.

If budget is the main concern, you can schedule with Daniel or Rony and potentially be with a group that has a set schedule, but a slightly cheaper rate.

Yes, we have done the horseback ride at LFK.  Don't expect anything spectacular. You walk slowly down a small area of beach and then they make a big circle out into the ocean and back while walking with you.   It is fun if you've never done it. If you are an avid horseback rider, you will probably not be impressed.  

What a timely thread.  Leaning towards MANAWAKIE PARK.

Since you have been to all three, we are looking at Sloths and probably as much time holding them as possible.  Followed a close second to some snorkeling.  I have seen some of the prices and it seems like some have pickup/dropoff service and sloths and snorkeling.

Looking for best price / best experience / best snorkeling for a group of 8.  Thanks so much for any opinions.  🙂

Monkey Business(Victor's) is the closest.  Manawakie is nicer if you want a little "education".    I'd highly recommend booking with Ronystours.com.  The drivers all offer basically the same prices, but we just think Rony is the best.  If he meets you immediately and you go straight to Victor's, you'd probably beat the crowds. Most likely, Manawakie would be less crowded no matter when you go.  We love snorkeling at West Bay.  If budget is an issue - you can easily throw your towel in the sand for free and enjoy fabulous snorkeling there.  You definitely do not need to pay for a boat snorkel tour - just walk right on to a fabulous reef.  Have and underwater camera to get great pics.  

• Like 1

Not really a budget thing, more of a yay everything is real close and if someone wanted to stay with monkeys vs go to the beach its not a big deal.

I think Ronys and heading to Manawakie.

Thank you so much, I really just need to go to Roatan for a week.  🙂

We love ronystours.com

Rony and all of the other guides that you can reserve in advance all have the same pricing. We just know Rony has nice vehicles and is very reliable. We've always had a great time with him!

If your kids have never seen tropical fish,  bring goggles for them. Even if they are not snorkelers, they can easily walk in and put their face in the water and see amazing fish on the reef in Wesr Bay.

PS. Victor's and West Bay=perfect day!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2019 at 7:41 AM, #1TravelMom said:

We recently returned from Roatan.  We visited Manawakie this time.  Since we have visited all three "Monkey/Sloth Parks", I thought I'd write a brief comparison.  

First, do not expect any of these to be a "Zoo" as we think of it.  They are all small, independently owned places with relatively few animals.  The main difference, and best reason to visit, is the rare opportunity to interact with and hold the animals.  We live near the Pittsburgh Zoo.  They offer a "Sloth Encounter".  You are not even guaranteed to be able to hold a sloth, but will be able to touch one.  WHAT - $150?!?!

One of the deciding factors would be - where else are you going?

DANIEL JOHNSON'S MONKEY AND SLOTH HANGOUT

If you are planning on Pirates of the Caribbean Zipline or spending the day at Little French Key, Daniel's will be the closest.

From Coxen Hole, Daniel's is about 25-30 minutes.  Pirates Zipline is 25-30 minutes, then just 5 minutes+/- to Little French Key.  Or, direct from Coxen Hole, Little French Key is 25-30 minutes.

Daniel's - Main attraction - Sloths and monkeys.  We have visited 3 or 4 times and have always been able to have plenty of time holding a sloth, interacting with the monkeys and holding large birds.  They have had several other small animals in cages just to view.  Daniel also offers a mangrove tour and snorkeling, but we have not tried them yet.  I would say 30 minutes is plenty of time for this stop.  Mobility:  Level, dirt/mud(depending on the rain).  Small, so those who can only walk short distances would be fine.

MANAWAKIE PARK

If you are planning on South Shore Canopy Zipline and/or spending the day at West Bay, Manawakie would work.  It is 15-20 minutes from Coxen Hole.  Then, to reach South Shore/West Bay, you would backtrack towards Coxen Hole and continue to West Bay, approximately 30 minutes total from Manawakie.

Manawakie - Monkeys and sloths.  This is the newest "zoo".  They have rabbits,, agouti, and hummingbirds, as well as a few other animals.  I anticipate they will add additional animals as revenue increases.  This is by far the most "educational".  If you aren't planning on going to any other sights, this is a good choice.  You would probably spend 1 hour here.  They will speed up in case you are not interested in something, if you ask politely.  You will learn about the plants, foods, medicines, culture, and animals.  The guides are very good and keep it interesting, letting you touch and smell things as you go.  My family generally doesn't want to learn while on vacation, but we really liked this place.  Mobility:  Some gravel, Dirt/mud(depending on the rain)  Small inclines and steps.  This is not a good location for anyone who has severe mobility issues. Steps are sturdy and well built.  The entire area is small, so if you can climb 6-10 steps, you will be fine.  I consider this the best sight if you want to visit animals and learn something about the port you are visiting.

VICTOR'S MONKEY BUSINESS

If you are planning on South Shore Canopy Zipline and/or spending the day at West Bay, Victor's would be the closest.  It is about 15 minutes from Coxen Hole.  Then, to reach South Shore/West Bay, you would continue South 15 minutes +/-.

Victor's.  Main attractions are the Monkeys and Sloths.  They have large birds, deer and a few other animals.  This "zoo" is the most crowded.  We have been her many times.  While we like it, we definitely can tell we are being gently hurried along.  Your time holding the sloths and interacting with monkeys can be very brief if there is a crowd waiting.  On port days, it can be quite busy.  I don't want to discourage a visit here, but just know that you may be asked keep moving.  I like to get lots of photos of my family with the animals, so this sight is not the best.  The monkeys are very unpredictable, so it may or may not be easy to get good pics.   Mobility:  Level, some gravel, Dirt/mus(depending on the rain).  This is not a large "zoo", so if you can walk short distances, you should be fine here.  

We like all of the parks for different reasons.  I think you get the most for your money at Manawakie.  If I just want some quick photos, Victor's is close.  If we are going to Little French Key for the day, Daniel's is super convenient.  Also, we may try the mangrove canoe tour next time.

You will have a guide at all of the above.  Please tip them generously.  They are working for tips and rely on them.  Our guide at Manawakie was a public school teacher who takes the bus here to earn extra income as teaching doesn't pay well.     

Just a side note,  the snorkeling and beaches here are absolutely fabulous.  Make the most of your day and make time for the beach.  So sad when I hear people say that they are not leaving the port area.

I highly recommend Rony's Tours.  He has been our guide for 10+ trips and has become a friend.  His vehicles are nice with a/c.  He can accommodate 2 people or large groups.  He has friendly drivers that work with him.  He has a great option for a private tour.  Just $25 per person for a driver for your group for the entire day.  Then, pay as you go for the sights you'd like to see.   He also has other tours if you don't mind joining a group.  We have always felt safe and have many wonderful memories of Roatan.  I'm sure you will have a great day with Rony!

This is great! I am looking a booking private tour for me and my two kids with Rony's...a little pricy to do it this way but we have some specific things we want to do and they do have these in a prepackaged tour. 

With their options for monkeys and sloths I see Mayan Jungle and Daniels. Do you know what the Mayan Jungle one is? 

There are three zip line options (South Shore, Mayan Jungle, and Pirates of Caribbean), any particular one you recommend? 

We are also thinking of doing the Eco Walk Suspension bridges. Have you done this? 

Thanks!!

I think Mayan Jungle is the name of the zipline at Victor's.    We like South Shore canopy zipline.  It isn't far from Victor's monkeys and it is very close to beautiful West Bay with fabulous snorkeling right from shore.   Daniel's would be and the other direction.

I'm not sure which suspension bridge  you are speaking of. There is one at South Shore Zipline and 1 at Gumbalimba. I'm not sure if there is another or not.   

You can email Rony with questions as well. He will be glad to answer them for you. He will make sure you have a great day!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 6:54 AM, #1TravelMom said:

I'm not sure which suspension bridge  you are speaking of. There is one at South Shore Zipline and 1 at Gumbalimba. I'm not sure if there is another or not.   

I don't think Rony can get into Gumbalinda with cruise passengers.  They only allow cruise ship excursions there.

So South Shore along with the zip line would be best bet via Rony.

12 hours ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

Anyone heard of 

AJ'S Monkeys and Sloth?

I believe AJ is a tour provider.  Supposedly has a good rep.  Haven't used him.  But Monkeys and Sloths is most likely his tour to either Daniels or Manawakie.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

Anyone heard of 

AJ'S Monkeys and Sloth?

My family and I visited AJ's at the beginning of January with Roatan Getaway Tours. This is a small operation, basically a house with animals kept around it. It felt very personal though, we were not rushed at all, took as many pictures as we wanted etc. We first held the sloths, then interacted with parrots, then the monkeys. The handlers all seem to us to care very much about the animals.

I hear many others recommend to get to the sloth / monkey places before the tour busses.  I don't see how tour busses could get to this place. It is located in the French Cay area, right next to where we met the boat for the private snorkel tour with Roatan Getaway.

AJ's currently has 62 reviews on TripAdvisor with a 5 star average. They also have a Facebook page for more info. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JustThinking23 said:

My family and I visited AJ's at the beginning of January with Roatan Getaway Tours. This is a small operation, basically a house with animals kept around it. It felt very personal though, we were not rushed at all, took as many pictures as we wanted etc. We first held the sloths, then interacted with parrots, then the monkeys. The handlers all seem to us to care very much about the animals.

I hear many others recommend to get to the sloth / monkey places before the tour busses.  I don't see how tour busses could get to this place. It is located in the French Cay area, right next to where we met the boat for the private snorkel tour with Roatan Getaway.

AJ's currently has 62 reviews on TripAdvisor with a 5 star average. They also have a Facebook page for more info. 

Thank you

The 1 star rating on trip advisor actually made me interested in them. 

I'm hoping by going with a smaller place I will have more contact time with the animals.

• 4 weeks later...

Which place is closer to Mahogany  Bay and how long would it take to get there?  I've been to Roatan a bunch of times but I'm going with newbies this time who want to hold monkeys/sloths.  So ideally, I would like to go first thing in the morning and then be back to Mahogany Bay beach within 2 hours.  Is this possible?  

• 1 month later...

I always recommend Rony.  I'm not sure if you can find a cheaper way to get there, but we trust him.  We've used him many times - he's an awesome guy.

Yes, we've done the horseback riding at LFK.  It's okay - nothing amazing.  They lead you the entire time.  You just make a big oval out into the ocean.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

When you say interact with monkeys does that mean you get to hold them or have them sitting on your shoulders?  Which is the best place to hold sloths and monkeys long enough to get nice photos of our group of 7?  Also is it totally normal to book excursions independently of the cruise company. We are going to be first time RCI cruisers. I think we'll dock in Coxen hole.  Thanks for advice!

On 7/27/2021 at 12:18 PM, tborntreger said:

When you say interact with monkeys does that mean you get to hold them or have them sitting on your shoulders?  Which is the best place to hold sloths and monkeys long enough to get nice photos of our group of 7?  Also is it totally normal to book excursions independently of the cruise company. We are going to be first time RCI cruisers. I think we'll dock in Coxen hole.  Thanks for advice!

All three of them allow you to hold them and get pictures.  We prefer Bodden's Monkey Business because it is on the way to our favorite beach in the Caribbean - West Bay Beach.   Yes, you can book tours independently.  We always do.  My top three suggestions - Rony Tours, Justin Roatan, and Bodden.  Private tours are the way to go there.

• Like 1