New to Royal, please explain their drink packages?

LongHill44

Never cruised on Royal as we are looking at a few of their ships for next Spring.

Do they have drink packages?    What are they or can you share a link to explore them further?

If two people in a room are over 21, do they have to both get the drink package if one decides to?

How strict is Royal on sharing your drinks?

Just trying to figure all this out before making our final plans.

Thanks in advance...…….

11 minutes ago, LongHill44 said:

Never cruised on Royal as we are looking at a few of their ships for next Spring.

Do they have drink packages?    What are they or can you share a link to explore them further?

If two people in a room are over 21, do they have to both get the drink package if one decides to?

Thanks in advance...…….

Royal does have a drink package.  The price will vary depending on what sale may be in place.  Technically each person in the cabin over 21 is supposed to buy the drink package, but I have heard of them allowing the other person to by the Refreshment package....but you would have to call them to make this arrangement.

As far as sharing....Royal is VERY strict about it.  Knew of a gentleman who got caught sharing on the cruise....they cancelled his package (with no refund) and charged him back for drinks he shared.  

Edited by GTO-Girl

13 minutes ago, LongHill44 said:

Thanks in advance...…….

Yes they have a drink package... here is the link to their info.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/booked/beverage-packages

However, you will probably get more info by searching the threads here on CC than from Royals promotional information.

Yes each person over 21 in a cabin needs to purchase it but as was mentioned previously if you call you can get by with one purchasing the DBP and the other the RP.  

They are very strict on sharing

Packages aren't meant to be "shared"...that's why they require both to get it....they didn't used to require that, but apparently  too many were "working the system".

That said, if you only drink a couple drinks a day, you're better off buying what you want.   Beverages that are INCLUDED in your fare is: Ice water, coffee, tea (iced or hot), lemonade, milk and juice at breakfast.

Deluxe drink package included alcoholic drinks up to a certain dollar value.  The exact amount varies by ship, but it covers pretty much anything other than a few high end spirits and a good number of wines by the glass.

It also includes bottled water, fresh squeezed OJ at breakfast, specialty coffees (espresso, latte, cappuccino, etc).  Also sodas.

Drinks that are free to everyone is  water, iced tea, hot tea, coffee, and flavored waters.  Juice from concentrate for breakfast.

Shots and simple mixed drinks are around $9.  Frozen drinks around $12.  

The packages go on sale.  IGNORE the "sale" and look at the bottom line price per person, per day.  A great price is in the mid to low $40s.  But it may stay above $50.

It is possible for one person to get the Deluxe and the other person the Refreshment package (everything except alcohol).  You have to call, and the INTENT is for those who do not drink for what ever reason (medical, recovering, non-drinker).  Not that they don't drink that much.

I'll just add 2 things...

First, If you purchase the Drink Package before the cruise, and then the price drops, you can cancel and re-purchase at the lower price, so don't pass up a sale in hopes of a better one.

Second, if you have a Drink Package and you want a drink that is MORE expensive than the allowance, you only pay the DIFFERENCE.  So if your limit is $14 and you buy a $16 drink, you only pay the additional  $2. 

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 2

I like the drink package for the bottled water as well as the alcohol.  I'm watching the cruise planner now for packages - they have a buy one get one 50% off on one of my cruises but it's still about $100 more than the buy one get one I booked a few months ago on this years cruise.  I'm also going to check out Black Friday in case there is a deal. 

Note that the deluxe beverage package and the refreshment package both include premium coffees.  This includes espresso, latte, etc at the Café Promenade (and I think also after dinner coffees in the main dining room but not sure about that).  It does not include Starbucks coffee.  If you enjoy a double espresso in the morning like I do, this helps "justify" the price, i.e. fewer alcoholic drinks needed to break even vs pay as you go.