Cambodia Point of Entry for Visa?

kayakcove

Cambodia Point of Entry for Visa?

Traveling with AMA on Charms of the Mekong with land extensions in February 2020.  Looking at Cambodian Visa application and it asked for “Point of Entry”. They list different locations in their FAQ section, but they don’t seem to match up with entry on Mekong River.  They refer to water entry on the  river perhaps being in Phnom Penh. 

Anyone know the correct answer?

You cannot apply for an electronic visa for Cambodia if you are entering on the river. (we were on Avalon; our Purser's office sent someone to get the visas we needed - we provided passport photos, our passports, and cash (USD). My dad and his wife did the same thing earlier in the summer (can't remember what boat they were on; was not Avalon or Scenic). We were both traveling northbound. (on the Vietnam visa application, the port is "Song Tien" and Chau Doc is the town, I think.)

AMA is recommending that we obtain visa's in advance as they cannot guarantee that on-site visa's will always be available. You can obtain a visa directly from the embassy, but it does require submitting your passport. The fee is $30, which I think is the same as I have seen people mention when getting one as you did.  

AMA recommends VisaCentral to coordinate obtaining Visas for both Cambodia and Vietnam.  Their fee structure is higher than it should be for the work being done.  If you took all of their services including filling out forms and a concierge service, you could spend $600 plus per person. 

I may just indicate arrival from Vietnam on the Mekong and ship name. 

I will see if I get anymore feedback here. 

There are times when I stop trying to justify a charge because the alternative to paying it can turn out to be far more costly.  Reminds me of the joke about the furnace repair guy who got the heat back on by kicking the furnace.  When he submitted a charge of $100, the homeowner demanded an itemized bill.  "Kicking furnace - $5; Knowing where to kick - $95"  

If AMA recommends VisaCentral, it may be because they have seen examples of DIY customers ending up unable to travel.  "Cost of getting visa - $30; Being sure you have the right visa - $570"

Just something to think about.

2 hours ago, kayakcove said:

AMA is recommending that we obtain visa's in advance as they cannot guarantee that on-site visa's will always be available. You can obtain a visa directly from the embassy, but it does require submitting your passport. The fee is $30, which I think is the same as I have seen people mention when getting one as you did.  

AMA recommends VisaCentral to coordinate obtaining Visas for both Cambodia and Vietnam.  Their fee structure is higher than it should be for the work being done.  If you took all of their services including filling out forms and a concierge service, you could spend $600 plus per person. 

I may just indicate arrival from Vietnam on the Mekong and ship name. 

I will see if I get anymore feedback here. 

I would do my Vietnam visa directly with the Embassy. You have 2 choices that both get you a paper visa to put into your passport (see numbers 2 and 3)

http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/content/visa-application-process

Make sure that you select the right validity of visa; do you need a single entry or a multiple entry. (I went north to south, so I flew into Hanoi, and then flew to Siem Reap, then entered Vietnam again along the Mekong. I needed a multiple entry visa.)

Because I went in the opposite direction, we entered Cambodia by air, and the guide looked after our visas at the airport. Therefore, I can't comment on crossing into Cambodia on  the river.

11 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I would do my Vietnam visa directly with the Embassy. You have 2 choices that both get you a paper visa to put into your passport (see numbers 2 and 3)

OP asked about a Cambodia visa, however, not Vietnam.

[FYI, I did my Vietnam visa online - NOT the evisa as I needed multiple entry and the evisa is only good for single entry - still did all over email and received a looseleaf visa for my passport within a week - but it cost more than the $25 evisa does]

Also, I will ALWAYS DIY for visas when I have a viable route to do so. I only use a visa service when the passport must be brought to the consulate and cannot be done via mail or online. I know how to read and complete forms 😉 But also, I adore travel planning and I prefer to maintain control when possible. I know others have different priorities.

Edited by Hoyaheel

2 minutes ago, Hoyaheel said:

OP asked about a Cambodia visa, however, not Vietnam.

[FYI, I did my Vietnam visa online - NOT the evisa as I needed multiple entry and the evisa is only good for single entry - still did all over email and received a looseleaf visa for my passport within a week - but it cost more than the $25 evisa does]

I know that. I was however, responding to this comment from the OP

" AMA recommends VisaCentral to coordinate obtaining Visas for both Cambodia and Vietnam. " I pointed out that Vietnam visa is really simple and doesn't require a visa service.

Neither points 2 or 3 that I referred to on the embassy website were for evisa, both of them provide loose leaf visa. (However, depending on the OPs route, he/she may not need a multiple entry visa; could be flying home from Siem Reap which would make an eVisa practical.)

1 hour ago, kayakcove said:

I will need mult entry visa for Vietnam and was planning on obtaining the loose leaf version.

When I did mine I didn't have an online option with PayPal payment, just the email option with signed credit card authorization. I had no idea what the cost would be of the visa until I saw it on my credit card site. I would have much preferred the PayPal option, so I could see exactly what the cost would be upfront.

33 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

When I did mine I didn't have an online option with PayPal payment, just the email option with signed credit card authorization. I had no idea what the cost would be of the visa until I saw it on my credit card site. I would have much preferred the PayPal option, so I could see exactly what the cost would be upfront.

The way mine was done (August 2019) is that the consulate emailed me the cost after I submitted the forms & pdfs & photos via email. Once I accepted the fee & replied, THEN my credit card was charged and the visas were completed & sent. I was hesitant as well, but in the end, I think it worked out well as I did have the opportunity to cancel if I wanted.

16 minutes ago, Hoyaheel said:

The way mine was done (August 2019) is that the consulate emailed me the cost after I submitted the forms & pdfs & photos via email. Once I accepted the fee & replied, THEN my credit card was charged and the visas were completed & sent. I was hesitant as well, but in the end, I think it worked out well as I did have the opportunity to cancel if I wanted.

I didn't like having to email a signed credit card authorization, which is the way it worked in 2017 when I did it. (I was, of course, not dealing with the embassy in Washington, but rather the one in Ottawa which might make a difference too.)

I plan on using PayPal option.  On one of my Chase cards, I get an extra 5% bonus on points this quarter to use on the next trip. I did send my question to the Cambodian Embassy contact email on correct answer for point of entry.  I like the fact that the application says "point" of entry vs. "Port" of entry. I will post any response I get. 

THE ANSWER IS:  I just received the following response from the Cambodian Embassy:

Hello, You can put Kaoam Samnor, Kandal Province as Port of Entry, . 

Thank you,
Consular office

This was in response to my email: 

Looking forward to traveling to Cambodia in February 2020.  What would be correct response on Tourist Visa Application “Point of Entry”.  Will be arriving on Mekong River cruise from Vietnam.  Do I just indicate that or is there a specific Port of Entry I should indicate.  Traveling on tour with AMA Waterways, on RV AMADARA.

We are taking the AMA Riches of the Mekong (Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City)  with eight nights land extra. We Leave  LAX Jan 5th 2020 for Jan 7th first night in hotel. 

I used both Vietnam and Cambodia site to get my visas.  The Vietnam you get back by overnight fed ex and the Cambodia you get a PDF by email to print at home.   You don't need to send in your passport.  You do need to scan in a current passport size photo and your passport.  You need to make sure they are the correct size and mega bits.  The Camboida visa is good for only 90 days so order accordingly.

https://evisa.gov.kh/application_new $37 dollars for visa. 

http://visa.vietnamembassy-usa.org/  $158 dollars for two entry visa

Edited by Donray

I would love to see any comments or recommendations after you return.  On visa's there is a difference between "Riches" vs "Charms", you will arrive in Cambodia by plane into Siem Reap.  Coming in from the south on the river, evisa's are not accepted. I have forms ready, just need to get updated photos. 

• 2 weeks later...

We will be cruising on the Princess Sapphire stopping in Sihanoukville . On the E-Visa application in the port of entry box they have as an option " Sihanoukville International Airport (Not Cruising Ships)" . No port . Not sure what to do . Hate to spend the extra $30 PP on board but Host Jazzbeau 's warning is wise . 

On 11/19/2019 at 4:56 PM, kayakcove said:

I plan on using PayPal option.  On one of my Chase cards, I get an extra 5% bonus on points this quarter to use on the next trip. I did send my question to the Cambodian Embassy contact email on correct answer for point of entry.  I like the fact that the application says "point" of entry vs. "Port" of entry. I will post any response I get. 

I sent them a query and am waiting for a response . 

I sent our Cambodian applications in yesterday and have gotten USPS confirmation they were delivered this afternoon.  Site says they may take up to 7 work days to process.  On cost, I will point out the expense of USPS Priority Express totaled $50 to cover delivery and prepaid return envelope. What does Princess say about Visas?  I would think for a ship that size something would be in place.  I plan on traveling in the Baltic in July on Holland America and found that visas for Russia are included in excursion cost and also the primary independent tour providers do so as well.  

I also did my application for Vietnam loose leaf visa online yesterday with pictures i took myself and a jpeg scan of info page from our passports, I got a confirmation text within a couple of hours and directions for Paypal payment which was easy. FedEx return is included in their fees (3 working days). 

1 hour ago, kayakcove said:

On cost, I will point out the expense of USPS Priority Express totaled $50 to cover delivery and prepaid return envelope. What does Princess say about Visas?  I would think for a ship that size something would be in place. 

Princess charges $55 plus photo , so probably not worth the effort . 

2 hours ago, kayakcove said:

I plan on traveling in the Baltic in July on Holland America and found that visas for Russia are included in excursion cost and also the primary independent tour providers do so as well.  

Just a note that visas for Russia are not included in your excursions. There is a visa waiver program in Russia if you are on an organized tour with a recognized tour company.

Note that this is not applicable to river cruising in Russia, because you are entering the country by plane and not by ship, among other reasons. For river cruising you need an actual Russian visa.

Edited by gnome12

On 12/6/2019 at 10:37 PM, gnome12 said:

Just a note that visas for Russia are not included in your excursions. There is a visa waiver program in Russia if you are on an organized tour with a recognized tour company.

Note that this is not applicable to river cruising in Russia, because you are entering the country by plane and not by ship, among other reasons. For river cruising you need an actual Russian visa.

Thanks for the adding this additional information.  Cruise Critic is a good spot for information, as long as it is right and up to date. 

On 11/22/2019 at 1:34 PM, Donray said:

We are taking the AMA Riches of the Mekong (Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City)  with eight nights land extra. We Leave  LAX Jan 5th 2020 for Jan 7th first night in hotel. 

I used both Vietnam and Cambodia site to get my visas.  The Vietnam you get back by overnight fed ex and the Cambodia you get a PDF by email to print at home.   You don't need to send in your passport.  You do need to scan in a current passport size photo and your passport.  You need to make sure they are the correct size and mega bits.  The Camboida visa is good for only 90 days so order accordingly.

https://evisa.gov.kh/application_new $37 dollars for visa. 

http://visa.vietnamembassy-usa.org/  $158 dollars for two entry visa

We are taking this trip in January 2021, staring in Hanoi and doing the pre and post cruise land extensions and the Thailand extension post cruise.

Would love to hear back from you after your trip.