Cagney's Lobster upcharge to the dining package is back?

fstuff1

16 minutes ago, blcruising said:

Yes, we usually do the long haul 14 day cruises out of NYC in January. MSC Meraviglia might be worth a shot out of MIA as a B2B. I've heard good and bad so it would be nice to find out first hand. Might actually find a new favorite cruiseline. Pricing is attractive.

I've sailed on Divina (Yacht Club) and Seaside ( Balcony). Had great experiences on both ships. Sailed Haven on Getaway. Divina Yacht Club was as good and most times better than Getaway Haven. Seemed the staff on Divina knew what I wanted before I asked for it. That is outstanding guest service. Oh, MSC Yacht Club is less expensive than NCL Haven.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blcruising said:

Just fight it like I did. I looked the waiter in the eye and said I am not paying a surcharge plus a 20% gratuity for a crab cake. You can get your boss, you can get the hotel director, you can get the captain, but I assure you one way or the other my onboard bill at the end of the cruise will not include this charge. I was not charged.

Some thing are a matter of principle to me. And two can play at this silly game....if you nickel and dime me long enough, I might just nickel and dime you back. 

Good Lord.  If I ever have the "pleasure" of sharing a dining room with you, I'll gladly pay the $6 to not have to watch you berate crew until they let you get away with theft.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Phaedrus78 said:

Good Lord.  If I ever have the "pleasure" of sharing a dining room with you, I'll gladly pay the $6 to not have to watch you berate crew until they let you get away with theft.

I didn't use the word berate, did you? In fact, I made it less about my waiter and more about ridiculous corporate policies. And the waiters just nod their head and roll their eyes. They routinely use their hard working crew as pawns while the bean counters hide under their desks in Miami.

And, as I've said before, there is always someone somewhere that will pay whatever fee or surcharge NCL decides to assess without question....which is one reason why we keep seeing new fees and surcharges.

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 1

I spoke to a customer service rep today. She denied there were any up-charges to the dining package at any specialty restaurant. When I assured her there was, she said that I would have to talk to the people on the ship, despite the fact that it appears to be fleet-wide. Of course it would do no good to talk to anyone on the ship if it is rolled out fleet-wide, it is corporate. Of course this CSR also said that there was no new drink package, that the super plus plus package (sorry, whatever it is called) had been around as long as the UBP. I really dislike speaking with reps that have no idea what their company is doing. Just to take it one step further, when I said that I would appreciate it if she passed along that I did not like my amenities being erroded after I bought the cruise under certain terms and conditions, she retorted that I was getting all of these benes for free, so I shouldn't complain. Silly girl.

4 hours ago, littlelulu01 said:

The surf and turf was fantastic.  The 8oz filet is too big a serving even for sharing imo.  

The 8 oz steak is too big?  I have had it multiple times and it is not really that big at all.  The lobster is also tiny.  2-3 bites total. Unless you are a very petite adult or a child I do not know how a person can claim the 8 oz filet is 'too big'.

42 minutes ago, Gypsygirl100% said:

I spoke to a customer service rep today. She denied there were any up-charges to the dining package at any specialty restaurant. When I assured her there was, she said that I would have to talk to the people on the ship, despite the fact that it appears to be fleet-wide. Of course it would do no good to talk to anyone on the ship if it is rolled out fleet-wide, it is corporate. Of course this CSR also said that there was no new drink package, that the super plus plus package (sorry, whatever it is called) had been around as long as the UBP. I really dislike speaking with reps that have no idea what their company is doing. Just to take it one step further, when I said that I would appreciate it if she passed along that I did not like my amenities being erroded after I bought the cruise under certain terms and conditions, she retorted that I was getting all of these benes for free, so I shouldn't complain. Silly girl.

Your first mistake was believing anything a phone rep tells you.  Most are clueless and will say anything to get you off the phone.

1 hour ago, blcruising said:

I didn't use the word berate, did you? In fact, I made it less about my waiter and more about ridiculous corporate policies. And the waiters just nod their head and roll their eyes. They routinely use their hard working crew as pawns while the bean counters hide under their desks in Miami.

And, as I've said before, there is always someone somewhere that will pay whatever fee or surcharge NCL decides to assess without question....which is one reason why we keep seeing new fees and surcharges.

That's my fault, I apologize.  I'm sure it was a very civil interaction.  Most demands that reference higher levels of management usually are.  

I do wonder if you recommend this same strategy if one of my local restaurants has to raise their menu prices.  Ordering and eating the meal then refusing to pay the full amount of the bill seems a bold move but hey, maybe they'll allow it just to not have one of their customers raising a stink in their dining room over a few bucks.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Love my butler said:

Your first mistake was believing anything a phone rep tells you.  Most are clueless and will say anything to get you off the phone.

Typical large organization, changes are made but don't get communicated. Surcharges are alive and well.

2 minutes ago, Phaedrus78 said:

That's my fault, I apologize.  I'm sure it was a very civil interaction.  Most demands that reference higher levels of management usually are.  

I do wonder if you recommend this same strategy if one of my local restaurants has to raise their menu prices.  Ordering and eating the meal then refusing to pay the full amount of the bill seems a bold move but hey, maybe they'll allow it just to not have one of their customers raising a stink in their dining room over a few bucks. 

Apology accepted.

My issue is with surcharges and service charges on top of surcharges. The problem I have is that this doesn't appear to be cost or inflation related. Surcharges are implemented, then taken away, then re-implemented. And the surcharge is like 30% of the menu price. Oh, plus I have to pay an additional 20% service charge on the surcharge? .And why is that? I guess it costs more to bring me shrimp versus a salad or a bowl of soup. Really?

Oh,  I already pay a $15 daily charge which presumably includes dining staff somewhere on the ship, and they can't afford to serve me shrimp or crab because I have a platinum voucher? So I can get fatty bacon, soup or salad. So much for the steakhouse experience.

Look, NCL has tremendous purchasing power due to its size. Price the menu items at whatever you need to price it at, but get rid of these stupid surcharges. I think the three shrimp cocktail appetizer is already at $13. If someone thinks it needs to be $18, then make it $18. But don't make it $13 if you are dining a la carte and $13 plus $6 if you have a dining package. 

I don't know of any land based restaurants that operate in this manner, so to answer your specific question, it's never been an issue.

38 minutes ago, Love my butler said:

I learned not to even bother after an access desk rep assured me the bathtubs in mini-suites had sides no more than 3-4 inches high.  They really need to train people by having them at least spend a day on an actual ship.

LOL and my phone rep from NCL said the Haven butler & concierge are both covered by DSC and there is no need to tip them extra, and that Jade Haven has a bar in the Haven “no, it’s not on the deck plan but I KNOW it’s there!”.  Yeah, right?

(for newbies - Butler & concierge are NOT DSC and DO need to be tipped based on services rendered).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gypsygirl100% said:

I spoke to a supervisor after a rep also gave bad info. The supervisor in the executive office seems to be as clueless. I had to call back once for the first explanation after she called the Bliss - and she told me that "things can change all the time, nothing is etched in stone with dining."But when I noted that there are terms and conditions that need to be followed and that there is no mention of specific entree/app surcharges in those t&cs, and no mention of "nothing being etched" in the terms, she promised again to get back to me, but has not. I called Annette back again this morning but was sent to voicemail. I'm not giving up that easy. I at least expect an explanation.

Edited by schildiams

17 hours ago, Phaedrus78 said:

The difference here is that the SDP meal has been prepaid in full, with no surcharges in effect, and no mention anywhere in the SDP terms that surcharges on specific menu items are even a possibility, or that things might change in the future. So to your question about the local restaurant, if I pre-purchased a meal to cover any entree, and unlimited apps of my choice with none excluded in the terms of the purchase, but then when I got to the restaurant, the waiter said "We've decided to charge you both an additional $19 pus $5 plus $5 and 20% more on top of that for our great service, despite that it violates our own terms and conditions," who is wrong? The restaurant who arbitrarily changed the agreed upon deal, or the customer who questions this improper (and quite possible illegal) practice? Holding a business to their own terms in not "making a stink." If NCL want to surcharge, then account for that in the terms and conditions and FAQs. Otherwise, what use are terms in the first place?

Edited by schildiams

12 minutes ago, schildiams said:

The difference here is that the SDP meal has been prepaid in full, with no surcharges in effect, and no mention anywhere in the SDP terms that surcharges on specific menu items are even a possibility, or that things might change in the future. So to your question about the local restaurant, if I pre-purchased a meal to cover any entree, and unlimited apps of my choice with none excluded in the terms of the purchase, but then when I got to the restaurant, the waiter said "We've decided to charge you both an additional $19 pus $5 plus $5 and 20% more on top of that for our great service, despite that it violates our own terms and conditions," who is wrong? The restaurant who arbitrarily changed the agreed upon deal, or the customer who questions this improper (and quite possible illegal) practice? Holding a business to their own terms in not "making a stink." If NCL want to surcharge, then account for that in the terms and conditions and FAQs. Otherwise, what use are terms in the first place?

464312510_ScreenShot2019-11-22at10_31_00AM.png.e9f601b9ec2fd2ae3a303ca4300d6dfc.png

https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

14 minutes ago, schildiams said:

Though it doesn't address surcharges, it also doesn't stipulate that you can order any app, or any entree, nor does it say that you can order multiple apps or entrees.  So they aren't violating by limiting because there is no promise of not limiting.  I agree they should be clearer in the rules.

Just now, Phaedrus78 said:

EXACTLY! NCL clearly states on their website that every single item on their menu, EXCEPT THE SEAFOOD PLATTER IN RAW BAR, in INCLUDED in the SDP. That is the point! How can they advertise this on their website but then once on the ship, after you have paid inf full for the SDP say that other items are not included and that you will be charges extra for them? 

Seriously, why all the hand wringing about Cagney’s?  In all honesty, just go to one of the other specialty restaurants like LeBistro, Tepanyaki, LaCucina, etc.  They were excellent on my last cruise on the Breakaway.  Didn’t miss dining in Cagney’s at all.  And, you won’t have to worry about upcharges, if your lobster is big enough, the size of your shrimp, etc.  If you’re sailing one of the newer ships, try something like the Food Republic....also, excellent.  

Problem solved!

6 minutes ago, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

Though it doesn't address surcharges, it also doesn't stipulate that you can order any app, or any entree, nor does it say that you can order multiple apps or entrees.  So they aren't violating by limiting because there is no promise of not limiting.  I agree they should be clearer in the rules.

It actually does address all of this. It tells you that the only menu item not included in the pack is the Seafood Platter in the raw bar, and that additional entree charges may apply (first entree is included but second one might be charged). See above paste from their website FAQs.

Edited by schildiams

1 minute ago, schildiams said:

EXACTLY! NCL clearly states on their website that every single item on their menu, EXCEPT THE SEAFOOD PLATTER IN RAW BAR, in INCLUDED in the SDP. That is the point! How can they advertise this on their website but then once on the ship, after you have paid inf full for the SDP say that other items are not included and that you will be charges extra for them? 

Because additional entree charges may apply.

4 minutes ago, blcruising said:

Boy this seems contradictory. All menu items are included but additional charges may apply.

This means that all menu items except the seafood platter are INCLUDED in the SDP; no charges for additional appetizers/desserts, but additional entree charges may apply (if you order more than one entree, you may be charged for the second.)

3 minutes ago, Phaedrus78 said:

Because additional entree charges may apply.

Yes - thanks for reiterating this point! If you order more than one entree, you may be charged for the "additional entree." Note that there are no charges for additional appetizers/desserts - they are unlimited.

When sailing solo, I usually use my Platinum vouchers at Cagney's and La Cucina.  This time I am doing La Cucina and Le Bistro. 

The last 2 times, I was very disappointed in Cagney's.  Service , while pleasant was very slow.   Steak NOT up to par at all, cold  small sides, and I did feel sick afterwards...the lobster bisque probably the culprit...did have an "off" odor...my fault for eating it.

1 minute ago, schildiams said:

Yes - thanks for reiterating this point! If you order more than one entree, you may be charged for the "additional entree." Note that there are no charges for additional appetizers/desserts - they are unlimited.

I feel like you might be misunderstanding "additional entree charges may apply".

If you order the surf and turf it is included in your SDP, but the $19 is an additional entree charge.  If it wasn't included in the SDP at all, they'd charge you the flat $49.  

37 minutes ago, Phaedrus78 said:

I feel like you might be misunderstanding "additional entree charges may apply".

If you order the surf and turf it is included in your SDP, but the $19 is an additional entree charge.  If it wasn't included in the SDP at all, they'd charge you the flat $49.  

Nope,  you are the one who is misunderstanding the terms. The terms both currently, and in the past, have addressed changes for "additional entrees." In the past, before the recent rise in menu prices at the SRs, the charge for an "additional entree" was a flat $10. If the terms meant what you mistakenly think that they mean, the terms would also say "additional appetizer charges may apply," since they are surcharging for apps, too. Again, you have helped to make another point - that the terms not only need to be followed, but that they also need to be super clear, so that even Homer Simpson can understand them 🙂 PS you clearly don't mind being taken advantage of, and will "gladly" pay any surcharge rather than intelligently question it. Not everyone feels the same. If in fact you are so chill, I don't quite understand why you care so much about defending an unethical (and possibly illegal) business practice. Feel free to pay whatever NCL throws your way, despite contradictory terms and conditions. It won't bother me at all. But please don't try to shame me and other customers into doing the same.

Here's another expiation for "additional entree" charges on NCL in case you're still not convinced:

Terms & Conditions SDPs are personal and non-transferable. SDP does not include any beverages and additional main courses will incur charges. An SDP meal in Food Republic, Pincho, Sushi and Wasabi includes 4 menu items. A 20% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price.

Finally if you STILL need convincing, here are the Free at se terms regarding the SDP from NCL:

Specialty Dining Package

Sail Length # Of Dining
Package Meals
Retail Value 20% Gratuities
3-4 Nights 1 $44.95 per person $8.99 per package
5-6 Nights 2 $79 per person $15.80 per package
7-8 Nights 3 $99 per person $19.80 per package
9-10 Nights 4 $114 per person $22.80 per package
11+ Nights 5 $129 per person $25.80 per package

Package prices are subject to change.
Guest is responsible for 20% gratuities on the retail value of the Specialty Dining Package prior to cruise.
Packages are based on a per meal basis.
Applicable to guests 1-2 on the reservation.
Dining package is applicable to guest ages 2 and older.
Any Harvest Caye bars, restaurants, or venues, The Bake Shop, Ice Cream Bar, Gelato, specialty items in the Asian restaurant, Special Occasion/Holiday menus (New Year's, Christmas, etc.), Jazz Brunch, Wine Lovers and Murder Mystery lunches, and beverages are not included as part of the Specialty Dining Packages. 
You may choose to dine in the following venues as part of your Specialty Dining Package for the corresponding upcharges: Cabaret ($15), For the Record ($15), and Cirque Dreams ($10 regular seats/$15 premium seats/$35 VIP seating on Breakaway).
Specialty Dining Packages include one main course per person at Cagney's and Le Bistro restaurants. Additional main courses will be charged at the a la carte price listed on the menu.

Ok one last thing, for anyone wondening about Platinum dinners:  

Home > Cruise Faq > What Do Specialty Dinner Benefits Cover

What do the specialty dinner benefits cover?

This benefit offers two dinners for two at a specialty restaurant for Platinum, Platinum Plus and Ambassador guests. Each stateroom will receive a voucher in their Welcome Back card on embarkation day for:

• - One dinner for two at Cagney’s or Le Bistro with a bottle of wine
  • - One dinner for two at Moderno or La Cucina

This benefit is no longer delivered per guest but now delivered per stateroom. Service charges are included in this benefit. Guest to present voucher to their server before ordering. Benefit entitles each guest to one appetizer, one entrée and one dessert of your choice. 

This says limit of $20 for the entree but my experience recently is that the limit is actually $35 since the new menu price increases were implemented.

Edited by schildiams