New Specialty Uncharges - take pics of menus please!

schildiams

19 hours ago, bren61 said:

I have 2 new Menus Cagneys & Ocean Blue

New Cagney menu that is being rolled out fleet wide

image.thumb.png.e90abf79ef5d8656056d0b88a30d1bc5.png

Now I am all confused.  Use to be and still on NCL's website for the Platinum dinner it states one appetizer, one entree (up to $20) and one dessert. Hmmm did I miss something somewhere (I sure hope so!) because there are no main entrees for $20 or less.

9 hours ago, GA Dave said:

However, I do not believe there would be any problem with doing Moderno, O'Sheehan's and the buffet all on the same night!

If you go to O'Sheehans or the MDR before the specialty restaurant, make sure they know that you still plan to go to the specialty one. A few times I have gone to the MDR with friends for a drink and appetizer before a later specialty reservation, and if you don't mention this the hosts may cancel your specialty reservation.

39 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

So up to $35 for the entree, what about a side? Voucher doesn't state a side, so I have to pay $6 for a baked potato?  Sorry, want to make sure I have everything right for January.

We were told no side would be included unless the entree was less than $35.  But YMMV. Who knows what manager will be on duty on your ship in that restaurant that week in January, how that manager will interpret the rules, and how your waitstaff will apply the manager’s instructions.  Heck, things had changed when we returned to the same ship just 3 weeks later; things could change three times by January😉

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

If you go to O'Sheehans or the MDR before the specialty restaurant, make sure they know that you still plan to go to the specialty one. A few times I have gone to the MDR with friends for a drink and appetizer before a later specialty reservation, and if you don't mention this the hosts may cancel your specialty reservation.

that sounds universally like a bad idea for staff to cancel someones reservation without telling them. talk about customer nightmare!. 

I just found this posting. Personally, I think this is very poor on NCL to allow something like this to happen and then be discussed on any forum. It should be embarrassing to NCL to allow guest to be treated this way. This is a company that has been in the business long enough to have clear policies/procedures to ensure that their guests get the best treatment that they paid for. We cruise other cruise lines and they all have similar Specialty Restaurant Packages. In fact we just got off of MSC and RCI the past two weeks and bought packages without any of the problems/concerns discussed here.

Yes, we will cruise NCL and be on the Encore in Feb B2B. I can only hope that the working staff has been trained and updated on the procedures to employ to ensure each guest has a exceptional dining experience. 

How does something like this happen? What is NCL doing to correct this problem/confusion?

After our Encore B2B I will post our experiences as we have the 4 meal pkg.

Happy Cruising.

• Like 1

Seriously, I got a simple solution if they dare to charge extra for sides.  It's not going to look pretty or nice.  Make a quick stop at the buffet first, potatoes, veggies & sides and bring it in.  Problem solved - no extra charges - for their convenience.  

I know they don't like to do "takeouts" but nothing about importing or bringing one's own.  It will probably be cold by the time the entrees come out ... but.  

Actually, it's so slow sometimes in SD that one has time to ride the elevator and grab things from the buffet, come back & still be waiting.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, waterjock said:

Their was no extra charge for premium sides. The lobster mac& cheese was very taste.

Thank you.  The lobster on a cruise ship by itself is normally a disappointment because it is usually unfrozen rather than cooked fresh.  They should be able to do a much better job making the lobster tasty serving it in mac and cheese.  

On our trip in less than 3 weeks on the Joy we already have reservations for Ocean Blue.  I was kind of feeling let down at first but when I saw the lobster mac and cheese as a premium side I was glad to see it.  Thanks for the first hand account and review on the lobster mac and cheese.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

So up to $35 for the entree, what about a side? Voucher doesn't state a side, so I have to pay $6 for a baked potato?  Sorry, want to make sure I have everything right for January.

You get 2 sides with a Platinum voucher. 

Hey, NCL, the fact your MOST LOYAL CUSTOMERS even have to worry about this is disgusting. This decision was clearly made by some spreadsheet reading idiot who knows nothing about hospitality. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Actually, it's so slow sometimes in SD that one has time to ride the elevator and grab things from the buffet, come back & still be waiting.  

Even the free restaurants is just as bad. On my Norwegian Dawn cruise a few weeks ago, Bamboo restaurant was soo slow that it took about 2 and half hours. It took a little over one hour for the entree to come

Edited by shof515

OMG  Thank you for posting photos. Never believe EVERYTHING you read on CC.🙈  Someone correct me if I am wrong but there clearly is shrimp cocktail available at Cagneys for no upcharge.  The giant Tiger Shrimp have the upcharge.  Also, I thought the tomato soup and grilled cheese was an appetizer but clearly its in the soup section which makes sense.

So to curtail the rumors, the typical shrimp cocktail is NOT an upcharge at Cagneys?

It does get confusing because not long ago, NCL was charging $4 upcharge for the standard shrimp cocktail.

16 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

So to curtail the rumors, the typical shrimp cocktail is NOT an upcharge at Cagneys?

yes. the typical shrimp cocktail is very small. i had it on the Norwegian dawn and it was like 4 little tiny shrimps

6 minutes ago, shof515 said:

yes. the typical shrimp cocktail is very small. i had it on the Norwegian dawn and it was like 4 little tiny shrimps

Ok good.  Yes I know its smaller than it used to be but was not NCL charging $4 for it just about a year ago?

On another note, no wonder the UDP went up in price looking at these prices. If you plan to eat at specialty restaurants, its probably a good bet to buy a package.  In the good ole days, the price of one entrée today would have given 2 customers a 3 course meal each.

• Like 1

We had the shrimp cocktail in the Haven (same as Cagneu’s from what I recall) and it was 3 or 4 large shrimp.  The way it sounds now “little tiny shrimps” is making me wonder if the “free” shrimp cocktail is a much smaller, lower quality offering than previously, and the upcharge one is the original one, renamed and upcharged even more?

40 minutes ago, erdoran said:

We had the shrimp cocktail in the Haven (same as Cagneu’s from what I recall) and it was 3 or 4 large shrimp.  The way it sounds now “little tiny shrimps” is making me wonder if the “free” shrimp cocktail is a much smaller, lower quality offering than previously, and the upcharge one is the original one, renamed and upcharged even more?

The shrimp has been getting smaller over the years 🤭  I remember my first Cagneys in 2009 and I was shocked how big the shrimp were because I never saw them that size before.  In 2013 I remember the shrimp being the small standard size.  I am not picky about the size.   I am a bit relieved NCL is not upcharging for the shrimp many cruise lines give for free in the MDR. I don't think that was the case about a year ago.   And for the lobster (which I don't really care for), NCL used to always charge extra for a lobster tail in Cagneys even in the old days.  It was $10 extra.

12 hours ago, asctony said:

I just found this posting. Personally, I think this is very poor on NCL to allow something like this to happen and then be discussed on any forum. It should be embarrassing to NCL to allow guest to be treated this way. This is a company that has been in the business long enough to have clear policies/procedures to ensure that their guests get the best treatment that they paid for. We cruise other cruise lines and they all have similar Specialty Restaurant Packages. In fact we just got off of MSC and RCI the past two weeks and bought packages without any of the problems/concerns discussed here.

Yes, we will cruise NCL and be on the Encore in Feb B2B. I can only hope that the working staff has been trained and updated on the procedures to employ to ensure each guest has a exceptional dining experience. 

How does something like this happen? What is NCL doing to correct this problem/confusion?

After our Encore B2B I will post our experiences as we have the 4 meal pkg.

Happy Cruising.

What is there to rectify?  NCL at times adds surcharges to the menu for people on the dining plan if they determine it not to be profitable based on their cost at the time.  Most guests receive the dining package as one of the perks rather than paying full price so when costs on items like lobster increases, they could either eat the cost, stop selling it entirely, or add a surcharge.  They are already eating increases on these items that we do not see.  They just have a cost point that they are not willing to eat now.  If they take it off the menu, there will be just as many people complaining that its not their now.  I would rather have the option to add lobster for a cost than not have it at all.    

I know RCL does not give their dining package as a perk.  I do not know if MSC does but its not a perk at this time.  Those lines can just increase their package prices if their cost increases.  

I don't know what training of staff needed or confusion you see here.  They added a surcharge and some people are upset.  If they feel the perk is not worth it because the lobster and crab cakes are not free, they can not take the perk or have that perk taken off.  

On 11/19/2019 at 9:16 AM, ready2cruzagain said:

What if you have the Loyalty Rewards Platinum Dinner, it states one entree, one main and one dessert.  if I were to pick a steak would I not be able to have a side with it unless I pay $7 extra?

I think it depends on the ship or the maitre’d of the restaurant.  I’ve had my Platinum SD with no restrictions.  Never tried more than on entre, but have ordered as many sides as my heart desired.

1 hour ago, Liljo22 said:

What is there to rectify?  

I don't know what training of staff needed or confusion you see here.  

If you have to ask, apparently you have no idea of what people are posting about on this subject. 

So, let me try to help you understand the concern. 

Each ship,  restaurant manager, waiter had a different idea of what is allowed, provided our what comes with the meal. That is a problem, that is the problem!

There should be ONE (1) answer regardless of ship/ staff. 

Not what one server thinks. 

Read all the feedback and you should be able to see the confusion reported. 

17 minutes ago, Oxo said:

If you have to ask, apparently you have no idea of what people are posting about on this subject. 

So, let me try to help you understand the concern. 

Each ship,  restaurant manager, waiter had a different idea of what is allowed, provided our what comes with the meal. That is a problem, that is the problem!

There should be ONE (1) answer regardless of ship/ staff. 

Not what one server thinks. 

Read all the feedback and you should be able to see the confusion reported. 

Wow.  You must be a joy to be around.  The argument has been whether a side is included with the Latitude voucher.  The person I quoted has SDP and is comparing with RCL and MSC dining plans not voucher programs.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

I think it depends on the ship or the maitre’d of the restaurant.  I’ve had my Platinum SD with no restrictions.  Never tried more than on entre, but have ordered as many sides as my heart desired.

Every single time I've used a voucher the waiter has practically told me the restrictions before saying "Welcome to Cagney's." 

It's so obvious NCL hates giving these benefits. It's like they're complying with a court order or something. 

Hey NCL, why don't you just rescind the entire voucher program and tell us to all go pound sand if we don't like it. We know that's what you want to do. After all, according to Frank Del Rio there are unlimited selfie-taking, Instagram loving millennials to take our place...