New Specialty Uncharges - take pics of menus please!

schildiams

8 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

Wow.  You must be a joy to be around.  The argument has been whether a side is included with the Latitude voucher.  The person I quoted has SDP and is comparing with RCL and MSC dining plans not voucher programs.    

Everyone has an opinion. Everyone interprets things differently. I just tried to clarify what I meant in my posting. There is more than one thread on this subject. A lot of confusion caused by NCL. 

We both had our say, so the next time you see me on the ship, I will just walk by. Happy Cruising! 

15 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

Wow.  You must be a joy to be around.  The argument has been whether a side is included with the Latitude voucher.  The person I quoted has SDP and is comparing with RCL and MSC dining plans not voucher programs.    

You hit the nail on the head! These are two different things and it’s confusing to people not familiar. The big problem is some servers state the 1-1-1 rule to those using the specialty dining plan, which isn’t correct. Of course, if we encounter this we just ignore and order one entree and what ever else we want. Never been charged.

We’ve never had a problem getting sides when using a Plat coupon or multiple appetizers for that matter. Maybe we were just lucky?

Edited by aero777

3 minutes ago, asctony said:

Everyone has an opinion. Everyone interprets things differently. I just tried to clarify what I meant in my posting. There is more than one thread on this subject. A lot of confusion caused by NCL. 

We both had our say, so the next time you see me on the ship, I will just walk by. Happy Cruising! 

Now I am confused.  Are you posting as Oxo also?  That was my response to their post.  

Has anyone printed out the actual Terms and Conditions and brought it with them? I am tempted to just keep it in my purse. I paid the upcharge (plus 20%) for the much smaller shrimp cocktail in Cagney's in April. It was coated in oil and parsley bits, probably to perk it up from drying out. There is NO consistency between ships, waiters, managers. Everyone tells a different story. Most will back off when I tell them the restrictions are not stated in the T&C's, but the song and dance varies. One waiter last year at Cagney's backed off the limits on sides, told me he had to charge me for cappuccino (a clearly stated extra cost I have never actually paid) then told me he "comped it". Yeah, he got a tip so it worked that time. Not sure what to expect on my next cruise. I bought the dining package for 14 of the 21 nights, and I have the Platinum vouchers. Mac and cheese and tiny shrimp are not really on my list of "specialty" meals.

9 minutes ago, Zippeedee said:

Has anyone printed out the actual Terms and Conditions and brought it with them? I am tempted to just keep it in my purse. I paid the upcharge (plus 20%) for the much smaller shrimp cocktail in Cagney's in April. It was coated in oil and parsley bits, probably to perk it up from drying out. There is NO consistency between ships, waiters, managers. Everyone tells a different story. Most will back off when I tell them the restrictions are not stated in the T&C's, but the song and dance varies. One waiter last year at Cagney's backed off the limits on sides, told me he had to charge me for cappuccino (a clearly stated extra cost I have never actually paid) then told me he "comped it". Yeah, he got a tip so it worked that time. Not sure what to expect on my next cruise. I bought the dining package for 14 of the 21 nights, and I have the Platinum vouchers. Mac and cheese and tiny shrimp are not really on my list of "specialty" meals.

Oh so true! That was my main concern that there is no consistent answer to any of these questions regarding the meals. Thanks for re verifying the concerns many of us have.  

1 hour ago, Oxo said:

No, that was a friend of mine. What is the confusion? LOL

OK sure.  Well your "friend" posted the same response word for word in another thread about upcharging that didn't mention the multiple manager.  They followed it up with their experience on RCL and MSC with no upcharge and how can NCL treat their guests like this.  His post was not about what you jumped down my throat about.

I was trying to explain that if RCL feels the cost of their dining package is not profitable, they can just add a few dollars to make it up.  Since the SDP is a perk a lot of people get, NCL would need to increase the Full price SDP more than other lines if they wanted to go that route.  

1 hour ago, PortFees45 said:

Every single time I've used a voucher the waiter has practically told me the restrictions before saying "Welcome to Cagney's." 

It's so obvious NCL hates giving these benefits. It's like they're complying with a court order or something. 

Hey NCL, why don't you just rescind the entire voucher program and tell us to all go pound sand if we don't like it. We know that's what you want to do. After all, according to Frank Del Rio there are unlimited selfie-taking, Instagram loving millennials to take our place...

I do not dispute that each cruiseline has the right to change their loyalty program if they wish (Of course, frequent cruisers also have the right to switch their loyalties as they wish, as I am sure NCL knows). The vouchers have been a very long standing loyalty benefit, so anybody who has ever looked at the NCL loyalty program has seen that these meals are one of the major loyalty benefits offered to upper tier members...even those selfie-taking, Instagram loving millennials expect to receive this benefit when they reach the appropriate point level.  I’d submit that there will be a greater social media backlash if they take the benefit away just as those folks hit Platinum status in bulk.  So, if he takes the  vouchers away, all I can say is ...please pass the popcorn 🍿 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

What is there to rectify?  NCL at times adds surcharges to the menu for people on the dining plan if they determine it not to be profitable based on their cost at the time.  Most guests receive the dining package as one of the perks rather than paying full price so when costs on items like lobster increases, they could either eat the cost, stop selling it entirely, or add a surcharge.  They are already eating increases on these items that we do not see.  They just have a cost point that they are not willing to eat now.  If they take it off the menu, there will be just as many people complaining that its not their now.  I would rather have the option to add lobster for a cost than not have it at all.    

I know RCL does not give their dining package as a perk.  I do not know if MSC does but its not a perk at this time.  Those lines can just increase their package prices if their cost increases.  

I don't know what training of staff needed or confusion you see here.  They added a surcharge and some people are upset.  If they feel the perk is not worth it because the lobster and crab cakes are not free, they can not take the perk or have that perk taken off.  

I purchased the package and would appreciate transparency since we paid $250 plus 20% for meals over and above the  meals already paid for in the fare. Don't want to be charged even more now. At what point does this end? Extra charges for hot tubs on higher decks? Supplements for pool towels? A charge to ride the elevators on busiest days?

BTW NCL supervisor Annette has not called me back as promised. She was "looking into it," but seemed genuinely surprised that there were any specific supplements on the menu. I'll update when/if I hear back. Her first reply was to tell me to just wait and see what happens once I get on the ship. No thanks.

Edited by schildiams

3 minutes ago, schildiams said:

I purchased the package and would appreciate transparency since we paid $250 plus 20% for meals over and above the  meals already paid for in the fare. Don't want to be charged even more now. At what point does this end? Extra charges for hot tubs on higher decks? Supplements for pool towels? A charge to ride the elevators on busiest days?

Understood and you have every right to be mad if you paid full price and were expecting Lobster to be included.  I am just explaining why its done.  NCL has added and taken off surcharges for lobster and shrimp several times over the years.  I think NCL is in a no win situation though.  If they just take it off the menu, people will complain.  If they increase the price of the full package people will complain. 

They are one of the only main lines that offer the SDP as a perk so we can't really compare how other lines handle it.  

I ate at ocean blue on my second cruise, because I was only going to that specialty restaurant I opted against the SDP as buying the package would cost more than paying a la carte. 
I did get the dining package as a promo for my last cruise and my next, but on the one after I opted for the internet package instead.  
It comes down to personal preference, knowing the menus and the a la carte pricing could help decide whether you want to take the dining plan or not.

• Like 1

Maybe it is just me, but the simple solution is if you disagree with the upcharges on items, don't order them.  If enough passengers don't order them they will go away, but I do remember when they had lobster at an upcharge in the MDR and when they got rid of it, folks complained about them being gone.  Darned if they do, darned if they don't.

• Like 2

Folks, lets not forget that this is the same cruise line that touts their "unlimited" drink package that LIMITS you to drinks that cost less than $15. Anything over that you have to pay for including the 20% gratuity. Last time I checked, unlimited, meant NO LIMITS! Just food for thought!

2 hours ago, FitchburgWIFamily said:

Wow.  There is a lot of vitriol here about a crab cake and a baked potato.

It shows shoes the importance of having forums like this.  Not that we can share information, because we are not.  We are sharing speculation, anecdotal experiences, and some vitriol about selfie-taking millenials [OK, boomer, you know who you are]).   

It is important because it gives me an insight into just  how passionate people are about something that other people just do not care about.

For all you platinum people who think people are going to leave NCL in droves because they can't get two baked potatoes, you are ignoring the fact that there are probably just as many other platinum members like myself who would either never ask for more than one side (because quite frankly, after an app, with an entree and before a dessert I neither need nor want another side); or if they did ask for two sides and were told no, they would just accept it because that is how every restaurant that is not completely a la cart works.  You get soup or salad.  You get your choice of side.   The only time I have eaten someplace where sides were unlimited, it was either a Ponderosa Buffet or a restaurant where they charged you for every single side.

People are so indignant that a restaurant would dare to offer something at a higher price.   It is like they have never paid extra for premium anything.   You can have allllllllllll  these options at no charge or these few for a couple extra dollars and people are clutching their pearls and gasping they just can't take it.

I am sailing next week on the Joy.  I have the SDP and am Platinum.   I am going to go to Cagneys.  I might want a crab cake. I'll look at the menu and decide...hm..crab cake $4.00...other things not.  Is it worth $4.00 to me?  Binary choice.  No indignation or sense of persecution needed.

I agree, I never get the posts complaining about possibly not getting multiple sides.  How much can these people eat?  I can hardly even attempt dessert with what is included, never mind more on top of it.

• Like 1

Looks like the $49 Surf & Turf at Cagney's now has an upcharge for tge SDP?

This does make sense to me. On the Oct. 20th Escape sailing, we both ordered Surf & Turf and were surprised they listed it at $49. We would not have ordered it with any upcharge. As it was, we both left most of the filet uneaten. After the apps and the lobster, there just was not room ( have to save some for dessert) and the meat lacked flavor. The upcharge will prevent a lot of wasted filet, I am sure.

On 11/19/2019 at 10:21 AM, Starry Eyes said:

At Cagney’s  on Sun with the Platinum voucher, we were told could only have a side if the entree was below the $35 limit.  I’m not sure if it had to be $6 below or some other amount.  So, at Cagney’s you’d be presented a big plate holding just your lonely 8 oz filet with no sauce or sides or garnish at all.

In contrast, if you took your voucher across the lobby to LeBistro, your filet would be perfectly prepared, and presented with potatoes, veggies and sauce, unless otherwise specified.   I’m really not sure what NCL is thinking.  Does anybody pay $6 for a baked potato on a cruise ship?

NCL shoreside doesn't think. They just manage in a very haphazard, careless manner. The only direction seems to be, how can we squeeze every penny out of our passengers. And that methodology changes every other month. So much so that the staff onboard can't even keep up with the changes. They didnt even bother putting any of the menus on the interactive TVs on Gem. When I asked, they said the menus change every other month and they only get a day or two notice at times. 

I think this is why you have all different types of confusion as far as paying upcharges, getting sides, not getting sides etc. It starts at the top and the management is inconsistent and haphazard, at best.

13 hours ago, Shidah said:

I agree, I never get the posts complaining about possibly not getting multiple sides.  How much can these people eat?  I can hardly even attempt dessert with what is included, never mind more on top of it.

Seriously? A baked potato and a tiny bowl of broccoli or some sautéed mushrooms is hardly a groaning board feast. Especially if one enjoys the three tiny shrimp  for an appetizer. No soup, no salad, I'd like something vegetable-like with my not exactly high quality steak.

talking about sizes reminds me of easter. it was my 1st one at my aunts retirement community and i went for dinner. my cousin said dont be shy about ordering a few sides. they are really small. (cause we all know old folks cant eat a lot of food i guess). well sure enough i'm glad i ordered 3. they were indeed small. 1st holiday meal i didnt have to unbutton my pants..figuratively of course. i was just happy for the meal with people i enjoyed.

obviously this mentality cannot ever happen on a cruise ship but i can still have the good memories.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, salty dingo said:

Looks like the $49 Surf & Turf at Cagney's now has an upcharge for tge SDP?

This does make sense to me. On the Oct. 20th Escape sailing, we both ordered Surf & Turf and were surprised they listed it at $49. We would not have ordered it with any upcharge. As it was, we both left most of the filet uneaten. After the apps and the lobster, there just was not room ( have to save some for dessert) and the meat lacked flavor. The upcharge will prevent a lot of wasted filet, I am sure.

I can assure you that NCL is not including upcharges because they want to prevent waste.  The only reason they have the upcharges is to make more money and because people will put up with it.

• Like 1

So, here are some entree-only prices for you to contemplate:

Seared Sea Scallops - $34.00

8 oz. Filet Mignon - $46.00

16 oz. Boneless Rib Eye - $59.00

12 oz. NY Strip - $48.00

20 oz. Bone In Pork Chop - $30.00

Sounds outrageous, right?  Well, these are from a restaurant in the historic district of Savannah, where all the tourists stay.  And this is about the average for downtown Savannah.

Anywhere that is popular with tourists is going to be outrageous.  Want more proof?  Check out the restaurants at Disney Springs within WDW.  Cannot get a decent sit down dinner for anything less than $50 pp.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GA Dave said:

So, here are some entree-only prices for you to contemplate:

Seared Sea Scallops - $34.00

8 oz. Filet Mignon - $46.00

16 oz. Boneless Rib Eye - $59.00

12 oz. NY Strip - $48.00

20 oz. Bone In Pork Chop - $30.00

Sounds outrageous, right?  Well, these are from a restaurant in the historic district of Savannah, where all the tourists stay.  And this is about the average for downtown Savannah.

Anywhere that is popular with tourists is going to be outrageous.  Want more proof?  Check out the restaurants at Disney Springs within WDW.  Cannot get a decent sit down dinner for anything less than $50 pp.

As

Actually those prices are not that bad because one hasn't already paid for meals in the initial cost of the vacation.  On cruises you already paid for your food and now you are paying prices like the ones above for "specialty" food.  And not one of the specialty restaurants on NCL comes even close to the quality at WDW.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, blcruising said:

NCL shoreside doesn't think. They just manage in a very haphazard, careless manner. The only direction seems to be, how can we squeeze every penny out of our passengers. And that methodology changes every other month. So much so that the staff onboard can't even keep up with the changes. They didnt even bother putting any of the menus on the interactive TVs on Gem. When I asked, they said the menus change every other month and they only get a day or two notice at times. 

I think this is why you have all different types of confusion as far as paying upcharges, getting sides, not getting sides etc. It starts at the top and the management is inconsistent and haphazard, at best.

Maybe, but IMO a 'direction' given to cut costs relayed to staff.  Ship management job descriptions include plenty of language about controlling costs.

21 hours ago, Zippeedee said:

Seriously? A baked potato and a tiny bowl of broccoli or some sautéed mushrooms is hardly a groaning board feast. Especially if one enjoys the three tiny shrimp  for an appetizer. No soup, no salad, I'd like something vegetable-like with my not exactly high quality steak.

I was thinking same thing.  Just because one person thinks it is too much imposes that thought on everyone?

I don't waste food, at least not try to.  I don't get surprised by quantities much where I can't eat what I ordered.

Plus if we are family of four, we might share a thing or two.