Experience with Chase Saphhire Preferred Card

wesport

I know many of us have the Chase Sapphire card that offers the trip cancellation. $10,000 pp

Here is my story.

We put a deposit on a Seabourn cruise in January of 2019 for November 2019.

My partner had NHL which had been in remission for many years.

Final payment for the November 2019 cruise was at the end of July. Made final payment . 

In October of 2019, his NHL reappeared to our chagrin.

We cancelled in the 50% refund period just a day after his doctor prescribed treatment that eliminated our travel plans.

Seabourn refunded the 50% four weeks after we cancelled. Not sure why it takes so long, but they credited our card. Hated to lose all those points. 

We filled out the forms online with the Chase Sapphire card online with the following items. Scanned in the forms on the Ipad. 

1. A detailed two page form that was filled out by his oncologist. He or she has to state patient was healthy when the deposit was made.

2. Cancellation policy from Seabourn.

3.Proof that you cancelled the cruise from Seabourn.  You must cancel within 5 days after you are told not to travel.

4.Credit card statement. 

5. Itinerary of the cruise.

6 weeks after we filled out the form I got an email to provide routing number and account number for our checking. Remaining fifty percent will be refunded in 48 hours.

Two big takeaways. 

Must be healthy when deposit is made. Doctor must state this.

Does not cover preexisting conditions. 60 day lookback from the deposit date.

Trip must be cancelled within 5 days of the doctors recommendation.

Patience is a virtue.

My biggest concern was the preexisting clause. I thought they might decline it , but that was not the case. 

Long post , but I went through much angst with this process. Thought this might answer any questions. 

Out of commission for 4 to 5 months, but have our eyes on several cruises in mid 2020

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wesport said:

I know many of us have the Chase Sapphire card that offers the trip cancellation. $10,000 pp

Here is my story.

We put a deposit on a Seabourn cruise in January of 2019 for November 2019.

My partner had NHL which had been in remission for many years.

Final payment for the November 2019 cruise was at the end of July. Made final payment . 

In October of 2019, his NHL reappeared to our chagrin.

We cancelled in the 50% refund period just a day after his doctor prescribed treatment that eliminated our travel plans.

Seabourn refunded the 50% four weeks after we cancelled. Not sure why it takes so long, but they credited our card. Hated to lose all those points. 

We filled out the forms online with the Chase Sapphire card online with the following items. Scanned in the forms on the Ipad. 

1. A detailed two page form that was filled out by his oncologist. He or she has to state patient was healthy when the deposit was made.

2. Cancellation policy from Seabourn.

3.Proof that you cancelled the cruise from Seabourn.  You must cancel within 5 days after you are told not to travel.

4.Credit card statement. 

5. Itinerary of the cruise.

6 weeks after we filled out the form I got an email to provide routing number and account number for our checking. Remaining fifty percent will be refunded in 48 hours.

Two big takeaways. 

Must be healthy when deposit is made. Doctor must state this.

Does not cover preexisting conditions. 60 day lookback from the deposit date.

Trip must be cancelled within 5 days of the doctors recommendation.

Patience is a virtue.

My biggest concern was the preexisting clause. I thought they might decline it , but that was not the case. 

Long post , but I went through much angst with this process. Thought this might answer any questions. 

Out of commission for 4 to 5 months, but have our eyes on several cruises in mid 2020

Thanks for this post.  Hopefully 2020 will be better for you.

Edited by fudgbug
Addition

Credit card insurance is not the best. Pre-existing conditions are not covered by Chase SP, Amex Platinum, etc.. I always have private insurance to cover me.  

Take care,

Mike

Edited by MMastell

Thank you for that detailed account.  We opened the credit card a few months ago and am happy to hear that although a lengthy process, Chase did refund your cruise fare.  I hope 2020 will bring good health and more cruising!

Edited by texswamper

My biggest concern was that having a cancer in remission would be a preexisting condition, but that is not the case. If your doctor says you were healthy when you made the initial deposit, and something creaped up later, it appears you are covered. I was pleased with the outcome, and that was the purpose of my post. Have one Seabourn and one HAL later in 2020. A blip in the radar . 

Edited by wesport