12 hrs in Costa Maya

Bowlersbus

I just looked on Cruisecal.com and it is showing the Liberty in Costa Maya port from 11am - 11pm.

12 hours?? Is there really enough to do in that port for 12hrs? I am hoping that is a misprint. Or maybe by my sailing March 26th they'll be back to Cozumel.

I would follow-up with Carnival if you are truly concerned. Like others have said, just go back to the ship when you are done. In reality depending upon how they tie up - Costa Maya has separated piers that have to accessed by a small boat to untie a big boat - at least if they park on the outside eastern side, and I am not sure they do that in the dark. We left right as it was getting dark in December. By March it will be light later so who knows...

I loved Costa Maya, but that is long!

That's interesting. Maybe it is a mistake. There is no night life to justify staying that late. The Liberty is to arrive late also--11:00 a.m. The webcam link on the cruisecal site should allow us to see when they arrive today. These times will effect our plans!! We are also going March 26.

That's a hell of a lot of cocktails at the Pez Quadro Beach Break Party... $25 per person through Island Marketing:D

I concur, 11 hours is a long time in port for that location, but I also concur with others that if you stay on the ship, who cares?

(Be happy it isn't the Caymans, where a piece of gum costs about $8 (USD) blah blah blah!)

That's a hell of a lot of cocktails at the Pez Quadro Beach Break Party... $25 per person through Island Marketing:D

I concur, 11 hours is a long time in port for that location, but I also concur with others that if you stay on the ship, who cares?

(Be happy it isn't the Caymans, where a piece of gum costs about $8 (USD) blah blah blah!)

That's what I was thinking!! LOL! There are worse places to be stuck :p But why did I think that Costa Maya was one of those ports you had to be out of right after sunset?? Hmm... either way, I wouldn't be worried about it... just stay on the ship and enjoy the ship. I really can't see them staying there til 11... It might be a mistake, since the ship was to be in Cozumel until 11.

Of course I'd consider staying on the ship when everyone else is gone.

Looked this am and now its says 10am-6pm. Looked at the webcam and those look like some bouncy waves........It will be fine. Any port can be good or bad, Just depends on how you make it.

I wish Carnival had better webcams.

Wish we had 11 hrs. there we took the Kohunlich tour of the Mayan Ruins.. they were the absolute best I have seen..(been to Tulum in cozumel).

The ship tour there took 7 1/2 hrs.. so we never got to shop.. at all. Would have loved an hr. or so to browse...

....first half of the 11 hours ...I would taxi over to the little village..

soak up the sun and enjoy incredible bar and food service at very low prices.

Water sports also offered at very low prices.

the last few hours I would hit the day resort that you will be "parked" at.

The house band they have is better than any band I've heard on a

ship. They play great covers of rock classics. There is also a nice large

fresh water pool with a swimup bar...bungee cord....even local "cultural"

performances. Not spectacular, but a nice diversion. The shopping in

the cruise resort is nice, fairly varied...perhaps a little pricey.

It's not Cozumel, but then again..Cozumel won't be Cozumel for awhile. They

are still in rough shape from the hurricane, with maddening tendering from the ship.

I really liked Costa Maya myself, and would be glad for the long stay.

Mitch

TONYA - that sounds like you had a bad experience?

It just wasn't my cup of tea. We went to Chacchoben and I really enjoyed the tour and our guide was awesome, but that hour was the only hour out of the day that I enjoyed the port. I was very disappointed with the tour I set up through Island Marketing because the cab driver they set us up with did not speak English....the 45 minute drive to and from the Ruins was dead silent and boring. The vendors in Majahual were absolutely relentless and I was VERY uncomfortable when one here or there would physically grab my arm and lead me into his shop. There were other, minor things that bothered me about the place, but are relatively unimportant. I never want to go there ever again!

dromMom, you thought the Kohunlich tour was better than Tulum? I haven't been to Tulum, but did Chacchoben ruins with David & Ivan in January with my DD. Am on the Liberty March 26 with DH and DS's and could do the Chaccoben ruins again which allows shopping/eating/drinking time. I would like to do the Kohunlich tour but I don't think the rest of my family would like using up the whole time. Did you do the Carnival tour? Was there narration during the whole bus ride? Were there a lot of people? Thanks

dromMom, you thought the Kohunlich tour was better than Tulum? I haven't been to Tulum, but did Chacchoben ruins with David & Ivan in January with my DD. Am on the Liberty March 26 with DH and DS's and could do the Chaccoben ruins again which allows shopping/eating/drinking time. I would like to do the Kohunlich tour but I don't think the rest of my family would like using up the whole time. Did you do the Carnival tour? Was there narration during the whole bus ride? Were there a lot of people? Thanks

I loved this tour. Tulum no longer allows you to climb the ruins. But here you can climb all the way up. It is spectacular. There is so much more to see at Kohunlich. The ruins here have all been excavated. It is deeper in the JUNGLE than Chacchoben. Now I have heard some say the ship might be there from 11 to 11.. that would give time to shop. They count on the ships business and will keep the stores open while the ships are in port.

The Carnvial tour guides for this tour were wonderful. Ours spent the first hour of our ride talking about the history. He had a binder full of pictures etc. for us to look at. He made the time go by quickly. To become a liscensed tour guide they have to go to school.. It is a prize possesion to acquire their badge.

We rode a beautiful comfortable airconditioned bus.. This site has no stores like you will find a Tulum.. It has not been commercialized yet.

We got a snack to eat with fresh water on the way back.

We found this to be the the reason to come to Costa Maya.

The beach here is nothing special. The stores basically repetitive.

We want our trip to be an adventure.

David and Ivan are the best bet if you want a NON Cruise..tour. No one else is recommended for private tours. WeatherGEEK sorry you did not have a quaified tour guide. The tour guide worked so hard and was wonderful and even took us to a couple of places not even officially on the tour.

oyuc.jpg

I am traveling on the Liberty 3/12 and on our reservation it says we are going to be there from 10-6. We went there a few years ago and absolutely loved it. It's all what you want to make of it. We have fun anywhere we go. We love to see new places and meet new people and see the different cultures. We took the tour to Uvero Beach through the ship the last time (Jungle Beach Break). It was beautiful and we had the best time. They had activities with staff and we went out in the paddleboats and kayaks. The water was so beautiful and the beach wasn't overcrowded. We also loved the area right off the pier.

Archived