Cruising out of Miami port, but question about hotel

beshears

We will be flying in late to Miami, FL.  We will only be staying overnight for just a few hours, and then headed for our cruise the next day.  I see Hotels.com has many hotels, etc. to choose from.  If you have ever booked a flight/room with them, was everything legit, or did you have any problems with the company?

32 minutes ago, beshears said:

We will be flying in late to Miami, FL.  We will only be staying overnight for just a few hours, and then headed for our cruise the next day.  I see Hotels.com has many hotels, etc. to choose from.  If you have ever booked a flight/room with them, was everything legit, or did you have any problems with the company?

why not book with the hotel directly

I have used Hotels dot com in the past without issue - good for finding non-chain properties.  If you are looking for something within the  Hilton or Marriott brands you are usually better off booking directly.

If you are taking a red-eye flight and looking to use the hotel room only from about 7:00 AM to noon or so I would book directly with the hotel to remove one layer of possible confusion.  Let the hotel front desk - not the 800 number - know that you will not be arriving until about 6:30 - 7:00; when you check in ask for a late check out - then shower, nap, maybe enjoy a dip in the pool, grab lunch and head tot he port about 12:30-1:00

I've booked rooms from Hotels.com numerous time and I have no complaints. Prices are often similar across the different booking sites since most are owned by the same two companies anyway. With Hotels.com, you can often get an additional 10% discount on the room rate if you search for a discount/coupon code, but you won't collect any "points" in their rewards program.

Compare the rates with the hotel directly, sometimes it's cheaper, other times not. 

31 minutes ago, beshears said:

Thank you ALL for your answers.  I'm sorry I did not say that I will be booking a room and flight, so that was what I wanted to know, especially to make sure it was a legitimate website to use?

We use bookings also. For a quick nights stay check the Blue Lagoon area. It’s adjacent to MIA and many cruisers recommend it.

1 hour ago, beshears said:

Thank you ALL for your answers.  I'm sorry I did not say that I will be booking a room and flight, so that was what I wanted to know, especially to make sure it was a legitimate website to use?

book the flight direct  with the airline

if anything should go  pear shaped it is better to deal direct  with the carrier

JMO

I've been using hotels.com for 5-years now for almost all my bookings, all over the U.S. and world, Pacific, Asia, Europe etc.. Never once had a problem, their best price guarantee is fantastic and they will give me a credit for any price difference I find within days. 

Their rewards program is pretty good too with every 10-days getting one-night free based off of 10-nights average stay. So basically a 10% cash back program. But the rewards expire if you don't book with them. 

Of course you could just book directly with the hotels too. Usually prices are the same. 

As for the airline, always book with the airline directly. I've never booked it any other way. 

Edited by Flymia

LHT28, BlueHerons and Flymia, yes my d-i-l showed me ALL the restrictions that Hotel.com has and I believe you are right, and the more I thought about it, I'm thinking it may be more money, but at least if something goes wrong with the flight, I can work it out with them, which I have in the past. I may still use Hotel.com for the overnight room as I probably would not have as many problems than a flight might have through them.