Are cruise passengers going to Cabo affected by Mexico's new tourist tax?

farjar

Apparently Mexico recently implemented a new $18.50 per person tax for tourists flying into Cabo and other Baja cities collected at the airports.  Any idea if they will try to collect the tax from cruise passengers when they tender in or get off the ship in port?  Our upcoming Oosterdam cruise stops at Cabo, Mazatlán and Puerto Vallarta and we don't want to be hit with any unexpected fees.

My understanding is that it is not a Mexican tax, but rather a state tax by the state of Baja Sur.  That would include Cabo, La Paz, etc.  It does not appear to include Ixtapa, PV, Huatulco, etc.  Apparently if it is not collected at airports or seaports it will be collected at hotels.

Have to wonder if if will have any impact.   We plan to avoid Cancun/Puerto Morales this year because of the the sargassum problem.  Wonder if the sargassum issue in the Yucatan will will push people over to Baja, and more specifically Cabo ..   Wonder if other states will do the same and implement a tax. We are headed down to Huatulco for a month, maybe two months in mid Jan and then heading up the coast.   Don't want a situation where every state levies a tax and we have to pay.   There are lots of states...just under 30 I believe.

Edited by iancal

1 hour ago, farjar said:

Apparently Mexico recently implemented a new $18.50 per person tax for tourists flying into Cabo and other Baja cities collected at the airports.  Any idea if they will try to collect the tax from cruise passengers when they tender in or get off the ship in port?  Our upcoming Oosterdam cruise stops at Cabo, Mazatlán and Puerto Vallarta and we don't want to be hit with any unexpected fees.

Seems to me, if it affects cruise ships, then it would be part of the "port taxes & fees" already used for paying for cruises.  Typically, cruise lines over estimate what those taxes & fees are going to be (since most cruises are fairly far out when the prices come out) and, if the taxes & fees go down, you receive a refund, but if the taxes & fees go up, the cruise line eats the increase.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

I remember back in 2002 (I think) when the US turned over the Panama Canal to Panama.  We were already on the ship when everyone got a letter from the captain that each person would be charged a Panama fee -- around $12 -- charged automatically to your shipboard account.

When we did our first cruise - Panama Canal, about a month out, the canal imposed a $100 per person additional cost.  The cruise line (not HAL) sent us all letters telling us we were going to have a $100 charge on our onboard account.  Yeah, that went over well.  Due to the backlash, they rescinded that decision and just ate the cost.

Now, I'm not sure how HAL handles increased/decreased port fees & taxes, but on at least one other line, if they go down, you get it back (either as a credit on your credit card before the cruise, or an OBC).  If they go up, there's no additional charge.

1 hour ago, redhot1 said:

According to an article in the LA Times from Cabo, last week, the tax was to  be voluntary and was to be collected at the airport. There was no mention of people arriving by any other means.

People are going to volunteer to pay a tax?

You already pay a tax to go to Mexico. It is included in the price of your plane ticket. App $30 in Q Roo depending on the exchange rate. That does not include cruise ships. We had to pay that tax when we disembarked in Cozumel a couple years ago. I am only posting this as many people who travel by plane do not realize the charge is included in the ticket price, 

On 11/21/2019 at 8:36 PM, TiogaCruiser said:

There was an additional tax on a privately arranged shorex in La Paz on our upcoming cruise.

Please tell me about your private shorex?  What company did you arrange with?  Do you have an email address?  We are interested in a private tour and are unable to locate a reliable tour company for La Paz

Thanks