Semi-live + Recap: Thanksgiving cruise on Adventure, 23 November to 1 December 2019

FionaMG

8 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

Yeah, I think high was 3Mbps on Navigator and if it fell under 1, you're kind SOL. 

Not really, Surf is limited to .5Mbps and that works fine for most uses - and it functions quite well on O3B equipped ships. Speed is not really the issue, ping is.

Just now, Biker19 said:

Not really, Surf is limited to .5Mbps and that works fine for most uses - and it functions quite well on O3B equipped ships. Speed is not really the issue, ping is.

I've never actually gotten the surf only.  Its only been recently that they've started offering surf only for pre-cruise.  I was just rereading our live thread to see the speeds I posted. I always thought at this low level, even speed means something because everything just buffers and takes forever to download simple things.  

Hey @FionaMG, is this your first cruise since our live one last year?  If so, congrats on making diamond.  I read the post that you hit diamond threshold on Navigator on our live thread.

8 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

I've never actually gotten the surf only. 

For most uses, it's good enough. In terms of perceived performance, Surf on an O3B ship is better for many things, than Stream on a non-O3B ship, like Adventure. Ping is king.

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

For most uses, it's good enough. In terms of perceived performance, Surf on an O3B ship is better for many things, than Stream on a non-O3B ship, like Adventure. Ping is king.

I was able to stream on Navigator fortunately.  I think that's the only way I survived my sickness and quarantine.

I don't know how to do a speed test but it's a moot point anyway.

Long lines at the voom desk. Turns out there is a server out of action. They are offering people the option of cancelling their package with a full refund, or for those who want to hang on, a partial refund. I will be getting the cost of today refunded and tomorrow as well if they can't get it fixed before then.

They are also not taking bookings for new packages on board until it's fixed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rogueperson said:

Hey @FionaMG, is this your first cruise since our live one last year?  If so, congrats on making diamond.  I read the post that you hit diamond threshold on Navigator on our live thread.

Yes! First diamond cruise. We are taking advantage of the benefits. Free coffee and happy hour drinks have effectively reduced our onboard spend to zero! 😁

• Like 3

The ship is currently sailing with 4000 guests, way more than on the last couple of cruises.

Tonight this impacted dinner service in the MDR with guests having long waits for the duck entree because not enough was cooked in time!

10 hours ago, FionaMG said:

The ship is currently sailing with 4000 guests, way more than on the last couple of cruises.

Tonight this impacted dinner service in the MDR with guests having long waits for the duck entree because not enough was cooked in time!

Wow, that's over 100%!!  If your ship is booked capacity+, , i wonder what the other ships are like.  Its going to be a zoo when you disembark.  They said 100% is 3807.

The 3 and 4 occupancy cabins must be full. There are kids and teens everywhere. Tonight is the top tier event so I will get the C&A numbers, if I can.

Gorgeous day in Labadee today. I got a great pic of the ship from the viewpoint that lets you see her front on.

20191125_143020.thumb.jpg.72fd0667f769a841056851a5c6964cc8.jpg

That was kind of a test. Took ages to upload but at least it didn't throw me out. Maybe they've fixed something. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, FionaMG said:

That was kind of a test. Took ages to upload but at least it didn't throw me out. Maybe they've fixed something. Fingers crossed. 

When I was on Ruby Princess, it was slow too.  What I would do is turn off sleep function on my phone and let it upload the photos first.  If my phone went to sleep, it would disrupt the upload of the photos.  What's worse, if i minimized the browser, it would also screw up the upload, so it kind of sucked.  Some days, it would take more than 30 minutes to upload 😞 Hopefully, Allure wont' be as bad as it has the new O3B.  5 days to go for me 😄

8 hours ago, EDiamond22 said:

just caught up, will be following along 🙂 
booked adventure 8 night Jan 4th doing the ABC islands. first time on adventure so looking forward to reading about it ahead of time. HAVE FUN!

You will have an amazing time!

The internet is working better at the moment but I think it's because we're in port and a lot of people have got off.

I will definitely do a recap review with pics when I get home. 

2 hours ago, Rogueperson said:

When I was on Ruby Princess, it was slow too.  What I would do is turn off sleep function on my phone and let it upload the photos first.  If my phone went to sleep, it would disrupt the upload of the photos.  What's worse, if i minimized the browser, it would also screw up the upload, so it kind of sucked.  Some days, it would take more than 30 minutes to upload 😞 Hopefully, Allure wont' be as bad as it has the new O3B.  5 days to go for me 😄

Good tips. 

I need you on here - I keep forgetting to take pictures of stuff! 😂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FionaMG said:

You will have an amazing time!

The internet is working better at the moment but I think it's because we're in port and a lot of people have got off.

I will definitely do a recap review with pics when I get home. 

awesome! we normally don't get the internet but since we are now pet owners and my girlfriends mom is watching our kitten she wants to be able to check in with her mom. i was going to do a review after but now with the internet i may do a live one ? could be fun to just end the day posting while everything is fresh