Tulum Mayan Ruins or Chichen Itza Ruins - trying to decide

pink845

Will be on the Sky Princess in December and stopping in Cozumel as well as Costa Maya.   My husband would like to see some Mayan Ruins (already seen pyramids in Egypt (however, would like to see different architecture of the Mayan people.)  I am not overly interested in hours on bus and ferry.  Any advice from people who have done both of these ruins on a cruise ship tour.   Looks like either spot, tour would be 8 hours long.    Weather in December am I thinking 90 degrees at these places as well.  I see there is also smaller ruins Chacchoben (4 hours tour) 1 hour away from cruise port in Costa Maya (but people say very small).  Oh, suggestions please from anyone who has done these tours.  Thanks.  

At both Tulum and Chichen Itza, your time is limited.  Not as much of an issue at Tulum as it is relatively small and you can't climb on the temples.  But you really need 4+ hours at Chichen Itza to get a good sense of the place.

Do one of Native Choice's Maya Immersion excursions. Good guides, small group.  good transportation and not a long ride.  Plus there's often time to hit the beach at Mahahual when you get back to port.

Have been to both Chichen Itza and Tulum - both are nice and interesting... Tulum being smaller. With the tours from the cruise terminals both are a long drive. We are doing the Native Choice Chochoban next week in Costa Maya with the kids - they haven't seen any ruins and I liked that the ride is only about 45 minutes and its a half day tour.

Any excursion from Cozumel to see the ruins will involve a ferry ride to Play del Carmen, then a bus to the ruins and then reverse the transport to get back to the ship.  😥

I would focus on Costa Maya for ruins tours and spend your other port visit at one of Cozumel's great beach clubs.