HOW TO : Improv Ceiling Fan In Your Cabin

Icon901

Are you used to sleeping with a cool breeze of a fan blowing down on your face, or perhaps like the soft audible hum of a fan? 

WHAT YOU NEED: 
Strong Magnetic Hook (What I used
Small but Efficient USB Powered Fan w/ rotating arm (What I used)
USB Power Supply 4000mah or larger (What I used)

HOW IT WORKS: 

1. Place a magnet hook on the ceiling over your heads
  2. Open stand/arm of fan and hang from hook, adjusting so fan points at desired angle
  3. Place battery in overhead storage and plug in fan (if no overhead storage, use magnet or gaffer's tape to affix battery to ceiling/wall)
  4. Turn fan on or off using button on fan

That fan provided a great breeze each night and a soft hum of white noise. That battery pack probably provided ~50hrs of use... an easy half dozen evenings of sleep. Take it down to recharge during the day as needed. Worked much better than just setting on a bedside stand. 

I swore I took a picture of the setup but apparently I didn't. It's fairly unobtrusive and very effective. Our steward even commented on it being a good idea. 

Cheers 🙂 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 3:26 PM, Icon901 said:

1. Place a magnet hook on the ceiling over your heads
  2. Place battery in overhead storage and plug in fan (if no overhead storage, use magnet or gaffer's tape to affix battery to ceiling/wall)

For first timers, just make sure none of the materials used to affix this are attached to the sprinkler heads or other wall or ceiling fixtures and that the tape does not leave a residue when removed.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Do you  have recommended headgear if this fan comes lose while  you're in bed?

That's exactly what I was thinking!  LOL   I think I'd just bring a fan to set on the desk or nightstand.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂 🙂🙂

We got one of these and looking forward to checking it out. I am NEVER cold and run the ceiling fan in our bedroom at night year round. And that's with the heat turned down to 50 when we go to bed. So thanks for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2019 at 1:14 PM, clo said:

We got one of these and looking forward to checking it out. I am NEVER cold and run the ceiling fan in our bedroom at night year round. And that's with the heat turned down to 50 when we go to bed. So thanks for sharing.

I LOVE IT! Not hanging from the ceiling although we were prepared to do that. It's on the nightstand and has made me so much more comfortable. Thanks a mil.

On 11/26/2019 at 7:10 PM, Icon901 said:

It’s VERY firmly attached. The ship would  sink before this shook loose 😉 

That's why I would get a waterproof one!  🤣   (oh boy, that was bad)

Edited by ldubs

Oh, I'm so glad this thread showed up! We got this but decided it wouldn't help ME - who is always too hot - hanging from the ceiling. So I have it by the bed and LOVE it. It's SO quiet and keeps me nice and cool. I'm thinking about buying them for our daughter in Seattle and her family. Typical of SEA their older home has no AC. I think they'd like it. Thanks so much for sharing.

On 11/26/2019 at 10:18 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Still a lot easier to just use your A/C control.

The AC works but often doesn't get the room cool enough in caribbean cruises. Also many like the cool breeze and sound that a fan provides and the AC doesn't, necessarily. 🙂

On 12/11/2019 at 3:07 PM, clo said:

I LOVE IT! Not hanging from the ceiling although we were prepared to do that. It's on the nightstand and has made me so much more comfortable. Thanks a mil.

On 12/14/2019 at 2:14 PM, clo said:

Oh, I'm so glad this thread showed up! We got this but decided it wouldn't help ME - who is always too hot - hanging from the ceiling. So I have it by the bed and LOVE it. It's SO quiet and keeps me nice and cool. I'm thinking about buying them for our daughter in Seattle and her family. Typical of SEA their older home has no AC. I think they'd like it. Thanks so much for sharing.

So Glad you enjoy!

I've used the fan in many places. On a trip to Cuenca, Ecuador the fan helped me sleep at altitude (increased air in face at night), and also was invaluable during our Smoked BBQ Rib presentation on stage at a grilling festival. It was difficult to get fires hot enough at altitude, but the little fan aimed at the firebox vent stoked the fire and provided enough oxygen to run appropriate temperatures. 🙂  

One of the advantages to hanging it was it blew on both of us, and you felt it even if you rolled over... much like an overhead fan. 

Edited by Icon901

• 3 weeks later...

I find the air flow from the AC vent is often minimal, i attached magnet hooks to the metal vent cover & hung the fan from them.  My travel alarm has a thermometer it was avg 5 degrees cooler than when the fan was on the night stand. I didn't hang a battery pack just recharged the fan the next day.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, imescaping said:

I find the air flow from the AC vent is often minimal, i attached magnet hooks to the metal vent cover & hung the fan from them.  My travel alarm has a thermometer it was avg 5 degrees cooler than when the fan was on the night stand. I didn't hang a battery pack just recharged the fan the next day.

Nice Idea!  

Hang at the vent to Draw more of the cool AC air from the vent if you're looking to actually decrease the temp in the room.

Hang over bed if you're looking more for the ceilingfan-like downward breeze / white noise effect. 

Edited by Icon901