Recent pictures of main dining room menus

Dreams42Day

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

That essentially means that you are not representative the contemporary Demographic that NCL is targeting. You are in the demographic that will cruise with any menu. 

There was an outcry when chicken fingers were pulled from the menu. And, of course, the absence of three cheese ziti on the Haven menu. 

The chocolate buffet was axed when fewer and fewer showed up to participate. 10,000 pounds of chocolate was ground and tossed overboard weekly. The contemporary cruiser is more interested in howling at the moon versus ooohing and ahhhing at a chocolate fountain.  

Not sure what "demographic" I am, and I highly doubt you do either since you don't know me and are basing your judgment on a single post of mine not being impressed by several specific menues that were posted. But I know a boring menu when I see one! Chocolate fountains do nothing for me, by the way. I like a wide variety of food. I just was not wowed by the ones I saw. The 3-cheese ziti looked good, though! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greenpea2 said:

Not sure what "demographic" I am, and I highly doubt you do either since you don't know me and are basing your judgment on a single post of mine not being impressed by several specific menues that were posted. But I know a boring menu when I see one! Chocolate fountains do nothing for me, by the way. I like a wide variety of food. I just was not wowed by the ones I saw. The 3-cheese ziti looked good, though! 

Well said, contemporary demographic...what a bunch of nonsense. Like we need two kinds of chicken on the menu each day and the same fish being repeated over and over again.  Accordingly to this false theory, the passengers want veal, shrimp, and lobster in the specialty restaurants but that same group doesn't want them in the main dining room. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, blcruising said:

Well said, contemporary demographic...what a bunch of nonsense. Like we need two kinds of chicken on the menu each day and the same fish being repeated over and over again.  Accordingly to this false theory, the passengers want veal, shrimp, and lobster in the specialty restaurants but that same group doesn't want them in the main dining room. 

Well said back atcha, blcruising. 😉

11 hours ago, Greenpea2 said:

Wow. Not one item on any of those drew me in.  I used to really enjoy several dinners in the MDR. But it’s been a few years and change has come. Sad. 

I had the potato gnocchi, it was delish.  If you get this menu, I'd highly recommend it.

23 minutes ago, hfweather said:

I had the potato gnocchi, it was delish.  If you get this menu, I'd highly recommend it.

I crack up whenever I see gnocchi on a cruise lines MDR dinner, we eat that about once a week.  Never thought it would be on a ship.  Great if homemade gnocchi's not so great if generic vacuum packed.

1 hour ago, ready2cruzagain said:

I crack up whenever I see gnocchi on a cruise lines MDR dinner, we eat that about once a week.  Never thought it would be on a ship.  Great if homemade gnocchi's not so great if generic vacuum packed.

There is a lot on the menu I have made before and also eat regularly that I can find on the ship.  The difference is I don't need to spend the time at the grocery, the time cooking it, and then cleaning up after.  I make a great sweet potato gnocchi but all in you are looking at 2 hours spent before even sitting down to eat.  

25 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

There is a lot on the menu I have made before and also eat regularly that I can find on the ship.  The difference is I don't need to spend the time at the grocery, the time cooking it, and then cleaning up after.  I make a great sweet potato gnocchi but all in you are looking at 2 hours spent before even sitting down to eat.  

What you said is very true for many but I enjoy cooking and find it to be more of a hobby for me.  Don't get me wrong though, I will enjoy doing NOTHING on our 3 week Seaside cruise starting next week.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cloudsail said:

Pictures from the MDR menus as well as some of the dishes during a five day cruise from early this month:

Thank you for this!!!! I was finally able to figure out what Walleye Cod Fillet is!  It looks like they take Walleye and Cod and mix them to make a Fish Cake.  So technically it should not say fillet which was confusing me.  Will have to try it for sure now.

2 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Thank you for this!!!! I was finally able to figure out what Walleye Cod Fillet is!  It looks like they take Walleye and Cod and mix them to make a Fish Cake.  So technically it should not say fillet which was confusing me.  Will have to try it for sure now.

What do you see that makes you believe they mix the two fishes together to make a fish cake?

4 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Oh, I think what looks like fish cake is actually the mashed potatoes :). It was a very small piece of fish so in the picture it was probably mostly covered by the garnish on top. 

31 minutes ago, cloudsail said:

Oh, I think what looks like fish cake is actually the mashed potatoes :). It was a very small piece of fish so in the picture it was probably mostly covered by the garnish on top. 

Well, shoot, I thought it looked like a fish cake.😂 Back to the question of what in the world is walleye cod fillet.

I just went on a cruise at the end of October on the Gem.  We ate once in the MDR (had pork- tasted good, but the portion was TINY).  We also ate at Magenta's, where I had the lamb and that was amazing.  Also tried O'Sheerans (spelling?) twice, and the food was pretty good.  It was bar-style, nothing fancy.  But we weren't looking for anything fancy.  Otherwise, mostly ate at the buffet because I never knew what I wanted and knew I could pick and choose what to get there.  Plus, I LOVED eating out on the back deck in the open.

Maybe I have an easier time with food selection, but every time I ate at one of the sit-down restaurants, I had a hard time deciding what I wanted.  There were always at least two options that I had to pick between.  It may not have been 5-star quality, but it was certainly edible and I enjoyed not having to cook.  And I don't eat any kind of seafood, so that narrowed it down by several selections.

9 minutes ago, gatorchinsky said:

I will definitely try.  I have gotten so much helpful information from CC that I like to give back.

Great - please get the MDR lunch menu as well as that of O'Sheehans ... knowing that, sometimes, these changes are gradually rolled out, ship-by-ship, that some variations & exceptions prevail, LOL.

The Fettucini Alfredo entree used to come with shrimps, not anymore - that's one of the subtle changes I've noticed ... making it vegetarian friendly ??  (see, I am "attempting" to give cover to NCL, "not" really)

We are going to be on another NCL ship in less than 3 weeks, so this is going to be helpful ... not that we will go hungry or starve.  But, it is nice to plan & know ahead, and evaluate our "options".  

Thanks !

21 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Great - please get the MDR lunch menu as well as that of O'Sheehans ... knowing that, sometimes, these changes are gradually rolled out, ship-by-ship, that some variations & exceptions prevail, LOL.

The Fettucini Alfredo entree used to come with shrimps, not anymore - that's one of the subtle changes I've noticed ... making it vegetarian friendly ??  (see, I am "attempting" to give cover to NCL, "not" really)

We are going to be on another NCL ship in less than 3 weeks, so this is going to be helpful ... not that we will go hungry or starve.  But, it is nice to plan & know ahead, and evaluate our "options".  

Thanks !

Here is the MDR Lunch menu from Escape that I’m on right now.  I will post O’Sheehans a little later.

4D324FA8-385F-4830-B95C-0F4EFA10431E.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Reading some of these comments makes me laugh. If you can't find something you like to eat on a cruise ship, you're pretty picky, IMO. The ONE thing that is important to me is that I am not the one making it. That's it. Put my hiney on a cruise ship, give me my balcony, and I could eat PB&J for the week and I would still be happy. I am just counting my blessings that I am ABLE to take such a trip!

• Thanks 1