Pet Peeves In Luminae and Elsewhere

Plato123

7 minutes ago, SeaPete said:

My pet peeve was when the Captain Club host asked us to move from our seats at the bar (15 minutes into happy hour)at the Sky Observation Lounge because we were sitting in the seats that zenith people usually sat at.  Silly me thought there was no saving seats, especially around a bar! 

That's more than a pet peeve. 

My pet peeve was when the Captain Club host asked us to move from our seats at the bar (15 minutes into happy hour)at the Sky Observation Lounge because we were sitting in the seats that zenith people usually sat at.  Silly me thought there was no saving seats, especially around a bar! 

So I guess saving seats is my pet peeve!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, SeaPete said:

Wow, I would have been absolutely livid had this happened to me.  I would have brought it to the attention of Guest Relations, asking who the manager that host reports to so I could speak to him/her.  After the cruise I would have written to Celebrity about this.  That is totally unacceptable on so, so many levels.  I recently sailed in a suite (a rare occasion due to the prices these days) and I was honestly embarrassed at how much I was catered to.  I have no issue with people who pay more receiving more, I truly don't, but Celebrity's elevation of suite passengers to levels just short of royalty is revolting to me.  Usually sailing in AQ I could really see the difference.  But this example goes beyond all common courtesy and customer service.  I know people get frustrated and threaten to sail other lines due to many of the recent changes on Celebrity, but I think if this ever happened to me it would honestly be the absolute last time I would sail with Celebrity.

• Like 7

I have to disagree with you about hats in the dining room. Let people come as they are. Can’t see why if someone wore a hat that it would bother anyone same with shorts. The more casual the better.  I am bothered when I see someone in a tux because it seems so pretentious.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Brad1185 said:

I have to disagree with you about hats in the dining room. Let people come as they are. Can’t see why if someone wore a hat that it would bother anyone same with shorts. The more casual the better.  I am bothered when I see someone in a tux because it seems so pretentious.  

Gee.  Why have any rules at all?

/s

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Brad1185 said:

....... The more casual the better.  I am bothered when I see someone in a tux because it seems so pretentious.  

Don't take a cruise out of Southampton then... You would hate it. 

3 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

My Parents taught me when I was growing up in the 50s that it was crude, rude and socially unacceptable to wear a hat, sitting at a table at a restaurant.  Times have surely changed. 

Interesting at some things were considered crude and rude back then but in the 50's black people could not eat in white restaurants...thank goodness things change  

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

Interesting at some things were considered crude and rude back then but in the 50's black people could not eat in white restaurants...thank goodness things change  

Did you really just equate not liking hats to racism???

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Brad1185 said:

Pretentious?  The definition of pretentious is "attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed."  My thinking is that those wearing a tux on a cruise actually DO possess/display classiness and culture.  I've seen some guys looking a bit bent out of shape when others wear tuxes, but it's usually because it catches the approving glances of their other half.  LOVE to see guys in tuxes!  (Or put 'em in a kilt and a Prince Charlie jacket and... WOW!!!)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Last cruise on one night only in Luminae there was a family with a noisy child.  The father wore a baseball hat.  The latter is a pet peeve of mine too.  There is no place for a baseball hat at dinner.  I appreciate that this is much more of an American culture thing, but it looks awful.  Yes, he should have been asked to remove it, but obviously wasn’t or had an excuse.

Phil

It's not all Americans--I can't stand seeing baseball caps in a restaurant.  I understand most restaurants don't have rules against it, and I accept that.  When there is a restriction, such as in the cruise ship dining rooms, I want to see it enforced.  I was very surprised when on Azamara one evening a table was seated that included a young man in shorts and a ball cap.  Perhaps because of his age, they let it slide, but I thought the rules should have been enforced.

If someone wants to wear shorts and a ball cap,  they can eat in the buffet--no restrictions there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It’s always going to be different strokes for different folks.   Personally I LOVE seeing my husband in a tux though he rarely takes it with him on a cruise anymore.  And he is about the least pretentious person you would ever meet!  I think too many assumptions are made just on the the clothing one wears.   Having said that, people should be aware of what the dress code is prior to booking a cruise.  If they don’t like the dress code, then, simple, choose another cruise line.   Each cruise line should make it’s best attempt to seeing that the stated dress codes are adhered to, IMHO.   I’m sure it is simply the way I was raised (and how my 20-something daughter thinks too) but I detest seeing ball caps on men in the main dining room and Luminae (even at lunch).  Wear the ball cap by the pool, in Oceanview...   However, I’ll certainly not make judgements of you, if you do.  We sometimes cruise with a wonderful friend who has been known to occasionally flaunt the dress code.  

We generally cruise in a suite, and only once while in a royal suite, did we get “over the top” service.   Most definitely we have never been treated to anything close to resembling royalty (and have no desire for it either).  We will see how the service is on the Edge in February.  

2 hours ago, Dr. Pam said:

Impressive!  But I will assume this is a typo! 😉

For the record, I  do agree with all the above posts that it is nice to provide a dining experience with decorum!

Pam, Sorry about the typo, yes that is a nasty typo.

1 hour ago, Tulsacoker said:

It is true that not every thing about the good old days were good.  Not sure that I see how racial segregation relates to dress?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

Gee.  Why have any rules at all?

X the rules I say... sorry, that line has been used before...

Then a guy I really respect:  Bum Phillips:

" Although the cowboy hat is Phillips' trademark, he never wore one when coaching a game indoors (such as when he coach the Houston Oilers in the Astrodome or the New Orleans Saints in the Superdome). When asked about this, Phillips replied he'd been taught that it was disrespectful to wear a hat indoors.

Edited by Argo.
  • Like 5

34 minutes ago, Argo. said:

X the rules I say... sorry, that line has been used before...

Then a guy I really respect:  Bum Phillips:

" Although the cowboy hat is Phillips' trademark, he never wore one when coaching a game indoors (such as when he coach the Houston Oilers in the Astrodome or the New Orleans Saints in the Superdome). When asked about this, Phillips replied he'd been taught that it was disrespectful to wear a hat indoors.

It was the same with Bear Bryant.

4 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Wow, I would have been absolutely livid had this happened to me.  I would have brought it to the attention of Guest Relations, asking who the manager that host reports to so I could speak to him/her.  After the cruise I would have written to Celebrity about this.  That is totally unacceptable on so, so many levels.  I recently sailed in a suite (a rare occasion due to the prices these days) and I was honestly embarrassed at how much I was catered to.  I have no issue with people who pay more receiving more, I truly don't, but Celebrity's elevation of suite passengers to levels just short of royalty is revolting to me.  Usually sailing in AQ I could really see the difference.  But this example goes beyond all common courtesy and customer service.  I know people get frustrated and threaten to sail other lines due to many of the recent changes on Celebrity, but I think if this ever happened to me it would honestly be the absolute last time I would sail with Celebrity.

I'm diamond plus, we were in an aqua suite, and did complain while on the cruise.  I was offered a dinner in Tuscan restaurant and declined it.  I wrote about the incident in my cruise survey and never heard back. I haven't cruised with Celebrity since this happened earlier this year, been sailing other lines.  But friends want to sail Edge next year so thought we'd go and try again.  This happened on the Reflection in May.

• Like 1

C-Dragons

Yes, sometimes men wear hats indoors for religious reasons. You may be referring to gentlemen of the Jewish Orthodox faith that do this.

However, I do not think these gentlemen would be wearing baseball caps,but rather black,felt brimmed hats. They most likely would be wearing a black suit and a white business shirt as well. 

7 hours ago, JFontaine said:

Example please? 

Prefer not to spend my time justifying my statements.  Let's just say there was a huge difference in how we were treated as a suite passenger versus how we are usually treated as an Aqua Class passenger.  Don't want to hijack this thread going back and forth with details.  I was thinking of starting another thread about my experience.  I may yet do that.

Those that bring a animal on board claiming it for support or therapy just because they are too cheap or don’t want to leave it at home.

Everyone who owns a dog or other pet  could claim that as it could  cause grief or stress leaving it in a kennel if they had to. 

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, SeaPete said:

So I guess saving seats is my pet peeve!

It’s funny speculating on what would have happened if you had said no.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1