Cruise Critic Community
VTcruisenut

Half Moon Cay 2020 Cancelled?

We just received notification that our stop in Half Moon Cay for our February 5th cruise on the Veendam has been cancelled.  I am seeing on FB that other dates are getting cancellations as well.  Is this change due to the construction of the new pier?    Another Sea Day even with the offered on board credit is not what I had in mind................

OH NO, what a shame, I always find that to be the highlight of my cruise.  If were cruising next year I would be upset....

7 minutes ago, SanDiego Single said:

Did they give any explanation?

No, none.  just offered an on board credit for the sea day inconvenience.  I hope they plan some extra activities.  We will be in port 3 days right in a row then those 2 sea days..........Half Moon Cay is my favorite port!   I assume it is the construction, but why let people book cruises and not inform them that there will be construction?   Or find another port to replace it with?

Goodness. And yet I just checked and they are still selling this cruise on their website with HMC listed as a port of call. It would be nice if they could for once get all their ducks in a row before making changes. It's like no departments actually communicate with each other at HAL. We sail at the beginning of January but haven't gotten any emails... yet. Hoping we don't. I would very much miss stopping at HMC. 

4 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

Goodness. And yet I just checked and they are still selling this cruise on their website with HMC listed as a port of call. It would be nice if they could for once get all their ducks in a row before making changes. It's like no departments actually communicate with each other at HAL. We sail at the beginning of January but haven't gotten any emails... yet. Hoping we don't. I would very much miss stopping at HMC. 

Well I just saw a post on FB that said that it could be because the Veendam cruises were re-routed there due to the cancellation of the Cuba ports.  So I guess the Veendam gets 2nd dibs and if there are large Carnival ships already scheduled for HMC, we get bumped.  

And yes, I checked, and they are still selling the cruise listing HMC.

VTCruisenut, I just posted this on our roll call for the Veendam Feb. 5th cruise. The email said "due to operational changes", whatever that means. I just checked our Jan. 2nd Koningsdam cruise and it still lists HMC on the itinerary.

I imagine all the cruise lines who had Cuba on their roster are struggling with logistics.  Sorry to hear you will miss HMC.  You can be looking right at it but have it cancelled due to waves and tendering concerns.  They will put on extra activities for the missed port.  Enjoy your cruise!

Did call our PCC at HAL and he could not give any specific details for the Veendam’s Feb. 11th and Feb. 25th HMC cancellations.....other than “operational reasons”. 

Both are replaced with sea days......very disappointing......

So far, Veendam’s Feb. 4th and Feb. 18th scheduled calls to HMC are still intact......we are on those sailings and have not rec’d notice of changes.......

Could it be that there are already 2 HAL ships scheduled the day the Veendam is scheduled to be in HMC? No more than two HAL Ships can be in HMC at the same time.  When HAL Ships are in the area no Carnival ships can stop there.

1 hour ago, squeezles1 said:

So far, Veendam’s Feb. 4th and Feb. 18th scheduled calls to HMC are still intact......we are on those sailings and have not rec’d notice of changes.......

So far Feb 4th still shows Oosterdam and Veendam scheduled for HMC.

On Feb 18th only the Veendam is scheduled for HMC.

Carnival Magic is scheduled to be at HMC on 2/11 and 2/25.

A quick Google search took 2 minutes to get this info. Unfortunately the schedulers in Seattle neglected to check for port conflicts before publishing Veendam's revised schedule.  

That's inexcusable, and to then tell passengers it is for "operational reasons" without further explanation shows the utter lack of customer care that HAL is becoming noted for.

Sorry for those who are disappointed but  CRuise ships' contracts  allow for cancellation of ports for any reason or no reason given.   It has to b e that way.  For all we know the ship needs an unscheduled/ un expected    repair .  We can guess all day long but   the point is we just do not know.

The cruise lines have to be able to change

ports for any number of reasons.

image.png.ca531bde22234415cde5d2498db10a83.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

FWIW a major makeover to HMC was announced earlier this year by CCL.  I could not find when construction was supposed to start.

On 11/21/2019 at 7:23 AM, Himself said:

Could it be that there are already 2 HAL ships scheduled the day the Veendam is scheduled to be in HMC? No more than two HAL Ships can be in HMC at the same time.  When HAL Ships are in the area no Carnival ships can stop there.

Only 2 ships were scheduled -  Carnival Magic and HAL Veendam.

It appears that Carnival and HAL do not “mix” with regards to HMC and the Veendam has been uninvited to the party.

Edited by squeezles1

9 hours ago, Crew News said:

FWIW a major makeover to HMC was announced earlier this year by CCL.  I could not find when construction was supposed to start.

22 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

So far Feb 4th still shows Oosterdam and Veendam scheduled for HMC.

On Feb 18th only the Veendam is scheduled for HMC.

Not quite accurate......on Feb 18th the Carnival Sensation  (according to the Crew Center web HMC port calendar) is also scheduled to visit HMC which is the same day as the Veendam.

The Veendam might be in for a third HMC “bump” on Feb 18th 2020 due to “operational reasons”.  She has already been bumped from HMC for Feb 11th and Feb 25th

Will wait and see......

Edited by squeezles1

23 minutes ago, squeezles1 said:

Not quite accurate......on Feb 18th the Carnival Sensation  (according to the Crew Center web HMC port calendar) is also scheduled to visit HMC which is the same day as the Veendam.

The Veendam might be in for a third HMC “bump” on Feb 18th 2020 due to “operational reasons”.  She has already been bumped from HMC for Feb 11th and Feb 25th

Will wait and see......

I Just checked out Carnival Sensation’s schedule on the Carnival website and they are scheduled to go to Princess Key....?.....on Feb 18th......here’s hoping......as you mentioned Veendam may have HMC to herself on Feb 18th! 
Which website to believe?

Edited by squeezles1

10 hours ago, Crew News said:

Yes, I did read that Carnival announcement (unable to post the link), and as you mentioned, zero start or completion date of the project has been given.

Edited by squeezles1

23 hours ago, squeezles1 said:

Here is the Cruise Critic link....about the new pier project at HMC.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/4514  (this link does mention a "mid 2020 start" of the HMC new pier)

It looks as thought the pier will be put in while the HAL ships are in Europe, Eastern Canada and Alaska.

30 minutes ago, Himself said:

It looks as thought the pier will be put in while the HAL ships are in Europe, Eastern Canada and Alaska.

Although HAL does not use HMC during the summer, Carnival does.  I did a quick check of July 2020 Carnival cruises and there are many that are scheduled  for a stop at HMC.

If the pier is under construction at that time, either Carnival will cancel the stop and antagonize tens of thousands of passengers or will have some type of temporary tender pier arrangement to get passengers on the island and that is assuming that pier construction will interfere with normal tender operations. 

HMC is very popular with Carnival cruisers and many passengers book itineraries specifically for that port so I'd guess cancelling would not be in Carnival's best interest.

I always had the impression that it was HAL's private island that HAL allowed Carnival to use when HAL ships were elsewhere..

23 minutes ago, Himself said:

I always had the impression that it was HAL's private island that HAL allowed Carnival to use when HAL ships were elsewhere..

That has always been my understanding, too.