LIVE – Explorer Transatlantic – 11/23 – 12/7/2019

Travelcat2

I wasn’t planning on posting until we got onboard but want to thank posters from Roll Call who are keeping us up to date (you guys are great - please post from the ship as well - you an see from this thread that two people can have different experiences and both are real and valid.)

Currently at Heathrow - next flight in on TAP Portugal so I’ll have a review of that as well.  Our last Regent cruise was in February (2019) and was extremely difficult in terms of getting out of Vancouver and to the port in Chile.  Thankfully, our travels this time have been without incident.  Air Canada is very proud of the awards they have won (I believe one was for the best airline in North America........ and I agree with that).  The lounge in Vancouver was lovely  and the Premium Plus Lounge at Heathrow is better than we have seen previously.  We arrived at terminal 1 and transferred to terminal 2 (easy transfer).  Then we learned that the Air Canada Lounge was in terminal 1 which would have meant going through security and passport control again.  So, the Premium Plus Lounge was an easy solution.

I would be remiss if I didn’t also thank the other CC’ers that will be following our journey.  Since I’m not on CC as much anymore, I don’t get to “see” you (except through email which is great).  Anxious to get the party started!p

P.S. Just read that do to the the movement of the sea, shower door are slamming, etc.  This i why we always pack a small roll of duct tape.  Works like a charm.  May have a little extra if anyone needs some once we are onboard

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jackie, great to see your thread, looking forward to virtually cruising with you and Dennis.  Annemarie and I are still looking closely at Japan in 2021 so we can maybe change that virtual to reality!  Hope you guys have a great trip, safe travels and smooth seas.

6 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Welcome to Europe Jackie and Dennis!!  Glad you are here and that AC was so good.

"TAP = try another airline" - is great!  Reminded me of TWA = Try Walking Across !!

Jackie:  good to see that you made it across the pond. Also, glad to being able to read your posts.  You’ve been a great source of info here for so many of us including me.  Please make sure you carry the flag for the Bloody Mary and Margarita Society with the usual 1100 meeting. 

El Salvador had an airline called TACA- Take A Chance Airline. 

Z and TB

12 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Zqueeze1 - can Ken and I join the BMMS when we are on our 14 march Splendor cruise ??   We love either...

Absolutely, as long as you adhere to our protocols and standards. You must promise not to spill your drink, not to fall off the bar stool, and to make sure you have one more after you think you had enough. 

Z and TB

So hoping that the BMMS is in good hands.....We tried our best on the little Navigator with Maya at the pool bar supervising. Must admit, I tried one of her specialties.....something I was not familiar with (for shame!)...a Mitchelada (sp?). OMG....She made two versions for us....one with tequila and Tiger and the other with mezcal and Peroni....must admit, although both were fabulous, I prefered the mezcal version. Oh, so little time and so many different treats to try out!

Have fun, kids.....

J&L

1 hour ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Absolutely, as long as you adhere to our protocols and standards. You must promise not to spill your drink, not to fall off the bar stool, and to make sure you have one more after you think you had enough. 

Z and TB

Well, I’d be out of luck.  Falling off barstools is my specialty.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

TAP has a Business class but I am not sure how good it is.  Their fares tend to be lower than most airlines so I would really like to get some first-hand info (and comparisons to other airlines if possible)

We took a TAP business flight 6 weeks ago: Miami - Lisbon - Rome.  Flight and comfort were perfectly fine. Similar to Air Canada, Edelweiss, Lufthansa etc. Air New Zealand was better. Emirates is better in their larger planes but not in the smaller one they use from Orlando.

TAP wait space in Lisbon was too small, but we did not have enough time to go to a lounge. I have no recollection of the flight from Lisbon to Rome, must have been ok enough. (jetlag)

Posting from Four Seasons Ritz Hotel.  Beautiful hotel, lovely breakfast in the ballroom.  Would recommend this hotel.

First I’d like to give our experience on TAP. The flight was 2-3 hours late. The excuses given did not match up with what we have seen.  We were told that it was a weather issue in Lisbon.  The weather here is beautiful but there had been some winds around the time that we were suppose to take off so maybe that was it!?

We feel that that British Airways Business Class (intra-European) was far superior to TAP.  Couldn’t even drink enough to make the time go by.  Had one small glass of Port but they said that they ran out so we could not have a second  glass (note:  the steward did find one more tiny bottle so we did get a small amount).  

You guys crack me up about BMMS club.  The club is nothing without Mudhen, Z, etc.  One couple, IMHO, does not make it.  Must say that our cruise with this group had me drinking dramatically more than on other cruises.  It seems that Z has one sentence in his vocabulary......... “just one more”.  🤣

Bill, love that you are considering the Japan cruise.  That would be fun.  Lately, I’ve been trying to get you on that cruise and Mudhen on another (they are waitlisted).  It is fun to cruise with people that you know (virtually or otherwise).  There is one friend that will be on our cruise (leaving today) but will not disclose who it is without permission.  We have sailed together about 4 times and always look forward to seeing her.

Going upstairs to repack and will be picked up from the hotel at 11:00 a.m. for our private transfer to the ship.  So, the next post will be truly “Live from the Explorer”.

Bon Voyage Travelcat.

Your experiences on TAP do not surprise me. It is worth saying that some airlines are better long haul than short haul. British Airways is imho certainly like that, especially for business class. Club Europe is little more than slightly more comfortable cattle class with rather horrid food. Long haul in business class is much better, at least based on my last flight to Cape Town, admittedly some years ago. A lot of people say that all BA is terrible now but  I suggest variable is perhaps a better word.

Looking forward to lots more posts, in particular re Funchal, one of our fave Euro sunshine holiday venues. 

Not at all surprised about TAP either (what did surprise me was that you were flying them but I suppose BA is just as bad these days...) .   Anyway port or no port you got to LIS safely which is what counts and this morning you will be IN (the) port!!  sorry - couldn't resist...

Hope the transfer to the ship goes smoothly...  if you had breakfast in the ballroom there must be an awful lot of Regent people staying at the Four Seasons!!

13 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Z and TB

Oh dear!  I don't think we will be accepted.  Ken is known to spill drinks and I have been known to fall off bar stools.  Having one more though?  - now there is something we excel at!!

Gerry

• Like 2

Onboard and dining in La Veranda.  First thing I did was take a picture of the carpeting (will post later).  It no longer looks like a cat vomited on it.  It is actually quite lovely!

Lots of new faces onboard.  The Executive Concierge (forgot his name for the moment) welcomed us and will be on Splendor for our San Diego to Miami itinerary.

As usual, if I see anything “different” on Explorer, I’ll post the photo.  So far she looks great.  It is quite a shame that La Veranda on the other ships is not as open and wonderful as Explorer (yes - I know - I’m quite obsessed with Explorer).

Very excited to be onboard and to see everyone (have not seen Andreas yet but it will happen).  

More later.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Oh dear!  I don't think we will be accepted.  Ken is known to spill drinks and I have been known to fall off bar stools.  Having one more though?  - now there is something we excel at!!

Gerry

Hammie:  

That’s ok. Jackie is authorized to issue waivers for new BMMS members. 

Z and TB

Hi everyone,

We are also on Explorer today. It’s our second trans-Atlantic on this lovely ship. We missed the sign up for the meet and mingle. Can someone please share the details when they are available?

thanks!