LIVE – Explorer Transatlantic – 11/23 – 12/7/2019

Travelcat2

4 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Actually, the excursion that we love and will repeat tomorrow is the Madeira Culinary Immersion & Hilltop Lunch.  This is a limited excursion and is very good.  Hope that the description shows below.

seaknots - cannot believe the price that you brought up.  Wow - what an increase.  

For those of you that are retired (like us - it has been 17 1/2 years), the price increases for most things have skyrocketed.  When we have to pay $6 for a beer during happy hour in a city of 80,000 that has 12 breweries seems over the top to us.  We are friends with some restaurant owners that say that they either cut portions or lower the quality.  Many restaurants are going out of business.

This reminds me of our Australian cruise 6 years ago when sandwiches in Sydney were around $18 and coffee was close to $9.  They had a $15/hour minimum wage which is the direction that Washington state is going.  Okay - I am wildly off topic on my own thread.  Thanks to all of you that have contributed with kindness and understanding.  It does make a difference.  If everyone was so kind, I would not be leaving CC. However, this is not the case and I cannot deal with the negativity any longer.  I will leave it to others to  do research and to come up with responses to newbies.  

Dinner with the Head Engineer was a lot of fun.  Finally found the crew that we know and it was like a reunion - so lovely.  

Thanks to all of you that are following this thread.

40252A9C-C840-4080-AB03-DC569AD40FA3.jpeg

Hi Jackie!

I'm wondering if that Funchal excursion , " Madeira Culinary Immersion..." was the one we were on with you and Dennis back on Explorer Inaugural season in 2016? If so, we loved it as well! I cant recall if it was Free or included. Enjoy your cruise, thanks for bringing us along!

3 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Why go to the trouble of doing that - just take a photo of it and post that...

As per TravelCat 2 post:

Despite what I said this morning, I have yet to take any more photos but promise to do so.   May attempt to retype the alcohol list as it has changed quite a bit and my photos of menu’s, etc. tend to come out crooked and difficult to read (my fault of course).   Hoping to take a few photos of what activities are available on sea days.  I is just taking a while.

Very strange - why list it as free in one place and paying in another?  

It is 0900 here right now which means in I suppose 2 hours you will start the excursion.  Hope you have a wonderful time - $69x2 or free!!   Don't expect much from Blandy's Wine Lodge but DO expect a lot from the market.  It is a wonderful, wonderful place and so colourful.  Plus the stall holders (most of whom seem to speak some English) are really nice about explaining what things are, how to cook them etc.   

Can't wait to see your photos!   Should be a lovely day there today too...

Hi TC,  we have found the internet to be better outside our suite, good tip.  The net continued to be much better than on the first leg of this cruise.   I’m a terrible typist and actually type really fast on my phone.  Years ago it would take me minutes to text a simple line, but I’ve become much faster.

We were sitting on the table next to you last night at the P7.  At least the boxes checked, dinner with an officer and British husband.  I thought it would be rude to introduce ourselves as you were having a nice conversation. 

It is a little strange the would not alert you of the price increase on your excursion, but at least minimal.  The thing that had bothered me is the changing of the difficulty rating on some of the excursions.  I have had to scramble to see what else is available.  I did one 3 rated and it was by far the least difficult of any so far.  The difficulty

was the very tall step into the 4x4.  I’m very short , but the driver did find a stool.  I did want to change the other 2 excursions, as seem to be some even higher truck thing, with the new information.  One is successfully changed, the other no.

Im so sorry you feel the negativity has ruined your posting.  Your information was by far the best. It is obvious you love the ship and many crew members.  After a few weeks of being on board, It’s really nice, but I’m not quite as bowled over.  But we each have things we feel affinity for. The excursions in many cases are just not very good, and I wish they were optional.  Planning your own excursions is a lot of effort, but at least they are  specific to one abilities.

Edited by judi666

43 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Will tell Regent, on their comment card about the fact that this excursion is still listed as included.

was charge made? or was it error on ship tour list? what is reason from regent?

Edited by seaknots

Hope that you enjoyed the black scabbard head!  Maria, it is the same excursion that we took together.  The restaurant is the same but guests no longer assist in making the bread or putting the meat on the skewers.  Still, it was a lot of fun (wish that you had been here).

Judi and others that have issues with Regent included excursions, there have been some of us that have asked Regent to give people that do not wish to do their excursions a credit (as they do with airlines and hotels).  Regent gives a credit for things that take place off of the ship but not excursions.  Makes no sense to me - especially for those of us that have been to the same ports multiple times (we have done all but one excursion in Funchal and Bermuda).  In the past, when I have posted the above, someone usually says “but we don’t drink and cannot get a credit for not drinking alcohol”.  My response is always that the inclusions on Regent take place on the ship while flights, hotels and excursions are provided by outside vendors.  There is a big difference in my opinion.

Seaknots (sorry - cannot write your “name” without it being capitalized).  Yes we did get charged for this excursion.  It is the website that is wrong.  There is still confusion amongst the 16 or so passengers on this excursion (which is obviously very limited).  When we took it last time, there was no “Culinary Center” so we were not accompanied by chefs (two were with us today as they are on board training others ....... these two men are exceptional - quite sure that most people would enjoy them).  

Keep in mind that we have several sea days coming up and I can only hope that the internet accessibility improves a little.  Right now it takes about half an hour to post 3-4 photos. I still have the carpeting in the hallway to post and need to take a photo of the floor that I described as well as photos of the cocktail menu. Promise that this will happen (if the internet allows it).  

I spoke with someone that has many more days on Regent than we do and the insight was interesting.  As with other Regent ships, about 25% of the crew has been transferred to Splendor. The service and crew are fine but are not used to working together.  So, the cohesiveness is not there yet.  Not a big deal to us but having to experience an hour to receive a main course is concerning for those new to Regent (or to Explorer).  

Anyway, having a great time and it is nice to share the experience with others.  Will try to post more tonight (after dinner when the internet is somewhat better)

Edited by Travelcat2

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

My response is always that the inclusions on Regent take place on the ship while flights, hotels and excursions are provided by outside vendors.  There is a big difference in my opinion.

Very much agree with you on this!  Hope this gains some steam.     

Wouldn't it help Regent to better manage their budget for excursions, if they knew upfront how many passengers removed themselves from the inclusive tours for each cruise?     They may even be able to get some more profit out of us, if we decide (after removing ourselves) to pay and add a tour or two while onboard.  

• Like 1

Ain't going to happen - in my view.  Either Regent is "all inclusive" or is not.  If they start allowing a credit for an/some/all excursions not taken what will they do about people who do not drink alcohol/drink only at meals/ do not drink whiskey etc?  Either they are "all inclusive" or not.  Either they are Regent or Oceania or NCL.

I totally understand the "credit" given for non-use of flight and pre-cruise hotel.  After all - maybe (in the case of our next cruise) one lives in San Diego.  OR in my case - in Switzerland?   

Jackie - keep posting!!  The "fish" photos were great.  We saw the same fish at the market but I have not eaten it.  Did you get a chance to taste it at lunch?  Take care, Gerry

• Thanks 1

Included excursions is how Regent differentiates themselves from the other "luxury" cruise lines.  It's a marketing tool. If they get rid of the included excursions they are no different than Seaborne or Silversea.

If you don't use their air packages, you do get a credit.  

One of the reasons that I like Regent is I pay my money up front and I pretty much never pull out my wallet again.  I hate it when I feel like I'm nickeled and dimed to death.  If I don't avail myself of the excursions, that's my choice.  I've already paid for them.

The good news is there is something or in this case a cruise line that suits everyone available.  

To return to the subject at hand.  Those are some great fish pictures.  Those teeth are impressive.   

Edited by orvil

Agree Regent won't provide the option for included excursions for the reasons posted plus it is likely that included excursions is a profit center for the excursions themselves plus the fact that many people do not take excursions in all ports so when excursions are not taken in any port, the dollars included in the fare for that port becomes profit.  Nothing wrong with profit however it is possible adding the opt out option for excursions could increase the basic fares to leave Regent in the same profitability position.

And, don't forget the ability to advertise free unlimited shore excursions. 

1 hour ago, Hambagahle said:

Ain't going to happen - in my view.  Either Regent is "all inclusive" or is not.  If they start allowing a credit for an/some/all excursions not taken what will they do about people who do not drink alcohol/drink only at meals/ do not drink whiskey etc?  Either they are "all inclusive" or not.  Either they are Regent or Oceania or NCL.

I totally understand the "credit" given for non-use of flight and pre-cruise hotel.  After all - maybe (in the case of our next cruise) one lives in San Diego.  OR in my case - in Switzerland?   

Jackie - keep posting!!  The "fish" photos were great.  We saw the same fish at the market but I have not eaten it.  Did you get a chance to taste it at lunch?  Take care, Gerry

You are probably right.  I had this discussion with Regent management a few years ago.  Obviously my/our view is not as popular as those new Regent cruisers that book Regent for "free" excursions.  As mentioned, I do not put benefits that happen outside of the ship with onboard inclusiveness.  Regent is all-inclusive onboard the ship (except for the spa and Boutique).  As of now, Regent gives passengers a choice as to whether or not they want air and/or a pre-cruise hotel.  IMO, these are very different topics (Gerry - have to say again that, when we finally meet on Splendor, you will agree with Dennis more than me with a few exceptions ....I am not concerned about this).   

Finally met Judi and her lovely husband and hope to have dinner with them (this is rather unusual for us given our preference to dine alone).  They are Oceania cruisers and this is their first Regent cruise.  Like ourselves, they do not care for "free" excursions.  Must admit that I wonder how long repeat Regent customers will continue to sail with Regent given that they/we are paying for excursions that we do not want.  I thought this through and believe that, if Regent went with a opt out option, they could still allow passengers to take excursions but may have to pay the full price.  They can set up their computers to either have free excursions or not.  If not, they can be charged if they want a specific excursion.  The reason that this works for us is that, in some countries (Middle East and Africa), we would not opt out but would definitely opt out of excursions in the Caribbean, Alaska and the Mediterranean.  

I would not hold my breath for this to happen.

Dinner at Chartreuse was pretty good (great service but there is an issue with lamb chops that they are aware of but can do nothing about until they get another delivery.

Quite a few people have emailed me or spoken to me onboard about my semi-retirement.  My response is simply that there are enough people that post on CC that should be able to do research (good luck with that) and can respond to questions about Regent.  Hopefully the responses will not be negative as that puts off both current and future Regent cruisers.  I learned long ago that most people are not interested in a lot of negative posts or posts that make it sound as if Regent does not know what it is doing.  Just tonight, a server asked me to post that the crew on Regent ships are  happy and really appreciate Regent (their policies and care for their employees).  I learned in school that one should make about 3 positive comments and then, perhaps one negative.  This is acceptable to most people.  Hope that the posters on CC will follow these guidelines (just a hope - not a dictatorial comment).    Posters like Bill, Z, Rachel, Mudhen, and others are able to be truthful about Regent without making it sound too good or bad.  There is a happy medium that most of us understand. It also helps if a poster has sailed Regent in the past 3 1/2 years as there have been many, many changes (since the launch of Explorer).  And, with the debut of Splendor, things are changing dramatically.  One has to experience these changes in order to properly explain the Regent culture, etc.  

Really tired and will write more tomorrow (a sea day).  Then we have two port days and several sea days.  I learned that the internet was mostly non-existent today due to two huge ships docked next to us (one on either side).  While the internet is still not good, it is way better than this morning.  Note about the internet....... Regent will be upgrading it starting in January (hope that I have the date correct).  
Regent.  

TC2 posted: "Note about the internet....... Regent will be upgrading it starting in January (hope that I have the date correct).  
Regent."

Per the Regent Press Release in MARCH 2019, the doubling of the band width was to be accomplished fleet wide by January 2020. Believe it when you EXPERIENCE it.  

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

TC2 posted: "Note about the internet....... Regent will be upgrading it starting in January (hope that I have the date correct).  
Regent."

Per the Regent Press Release in MARCH 2019, the doubling of the band width was to be accomplished fleet wide by January 2020. Believe it when you EXPERIENCE it.  

You are likely correct but we can hope.  Crew members on the ship acknowledge the issues.  They are in the process of doing an upgrade (just learned this).  One thing that isn’t particularly positive is that we need to put in our last name, date of birth and email address before signing in.  This does not happen every time - perhaps 40% of the time..  Not sure if this is temporary or permanent.

Posting 3 of six pages from the alcohol list.  Depending upon how long it takes, may post the other 3 pages.  Suspect that the last three pages will be posted tomorrow.

Only one page worked - the two other failed.  May try one more page

C20E5D84-ABF3-42F0-AF0C-505D3965794B.jpeg

One big change that affects tequila drinkers like myself, Don Julio was removed from the list (although somehow we had a bottle delivered to our suite).  Regent previously had Don Julio Anejo and Patron Silver.  Now they offer Patron Silver, the mid-range Patron Reposado (horribly misspelled) and Patron Anejo.  In my opinion, this is a positive.

226295C8-E892-42CD-B12A-8B927CCE90A3.jpeg

Edited by Travelcat2

Kwaj girl, the server noticed that we were having difficulty cutting them (with a sharp knife) and said that when the order came in (not sure when), the better lamb chops went to P7 and the rest to Chartreuse.  Apparently there have been complaints.  They were cooked perfectly but were tough.

Photos no longer uploading.  More tomorrow (I hope) — it is a sea day and there could be a lot of people trying to get online

Adding to the posts as it's 1:20am and the internet speed is pretty good.  Five O'Clock Somewhere was the headliner in the theatre tonight.  Really good and enthusiastic performance.  I had lamb chops in Compass Rose last night and they were very good and tender.  So, who knows what restaurant got the right chops.  Service pretty slow in CR tonight.  Our waiter was dealing with two assistants that were on their 3rd day on the job.  He was so patient but I felt he was really overloaded with just trying to help them understand what they needed to do next.  One of the assistants said "I will learn" and I know she will.  She is in her last year of law school and taking some time away to earn money for school.  You just can't help but applaud the effort made by so many of those working on the ship. Lovely day in Funchal with beautiful weather.

• Like 1

Jackie, glad you had a great time again on that excursion, it was certainly a highlight, would certainly have loved to be there as well, thanks! And I would love for Regent to give consideration to your idea of giving pax credit for excursions not taken. Like you, many times we just do our own thing on ports we've visited before. However, I can imagine it being a horrendous bookkeeping chore and can't see it happening.

Have a great day tomorrow ( already today for you!)

Jackie - thanks so much for this very clearly stated post.  Personally I think our views are converging rather than diverging. Especially re. excursions.  In most Mediterranean ports we do not need or take excursions.  We know them well from former stays and are happy just to browse around on our own.  Plus it makes no sense to me to be on a tour bus, in France, listening to a tour guide with not-so-great English and having to "reverse translate" everything she said in order to get the point she was making!!

Weird about the lamb chops.  Why should the quality have been so different?  And how could the store masters know which chops to send to which restaurant??  A real "casse-tête"!

I see from the list of drinks available that there is no Calvados.  That is the only after-dinner drink we drink as a rule...I shall request some on my butler form.

Edited by Hambagahle