LIVE – Explorer Transatlantic – 11/23 – 12/7/2019

Travelcat2

4 hours ago, cruiseluv said:

Jackie, glad you had a great time again on that excursion, it was certainly a highlight, would certainly have loved to be there as well, thanks! And I would love for Regent to give consideration to your idea of giving pax credit for excursions not taken. Like you, many times we just do our own thing on ports we've visited before. However, I can imagine it being a horrendous bookkeeping chore and can't see it happening.

Have a great day tomorrow ( already today for you!)

I think I have the bookkeeping part of it figured out (based on my very little knowledge of the topic).  I envision a new “check box” for Regent excursions.  Either it is set for included excursions or it is set to no excursions.  That part is easy but there should be a way of charging guests if they want to book an excursion.  If Regent’s computer system can make different charges for Regent Choice excursions (I.e. 5% off for some Seven Seas Society levels up to 25% off for higher levels), it should be able to look at passengers information - see that they do not have included excursions but are trying to book.  So, it lets you book and charges you.  

Gerry - you and I “almost” agreeing on excursions just shows how the years can change our views (both of us).  

Decent connectivity this morning but I brought the wrong iPad with me so I can’t post the rest of the alcohol list photos from this iPad.   I am sometimes very “Apple product challenged”.  Sometimes photos cross over into my their Apple devices but this has not happened onboard.  

Going to the computer room to check things out.  Most of the U.S. is asleep right now anyway (think that we may be in the same time zone as Gerry.  We start turning the clocks back tonight.  Will take photos of the activities for this sea day and will post them if/whe it becomes possible.

If anyone wants photos of food or anything else on the ship, let me know and I’ll try to accommodate the request.

Bloody thing!  Below is an old photo of activities.  I’m afraid to delete the photos as it may affect (and remove) the photos on both this and a previous post.  

E97A6A15-B026-48B0-9F45-6FBB579FB7DF.jpeg

B83D5CD8-DA3D-42D3-8DDE-491A8EB7E163.jpeg

6590F3AD-FECC-4602-A445-20C8C0E5BC6A.jpeg

Edited by Travelcat2

So nice to meet you and Dennis last night.  Hope we can have a dinner.  I promptly forgot you suite #, but ours is 867.  Possibly on one of the sea days?   
I know there is a lot of discussions about the excursions.  My frustration has been not really knowing what to expect.  The rating system is useless in many cases.   We have had a few we really liked; the one with the camel ride and the one where you are pushed downhill at top speed in a flimsy wicker basket, were unique and fun experiences. I think most people could do them.

I will admit that the thought of not having to do so much research on private tours , as well as looking throughout a roll call for others to share them ( although we have made lifetime cruise friends this way) seemed appealing.  The reality has not been quite as I hoped.   Although, I really love the Explorer, I am on the fence as too booking again.   Someone mentioned “just don’t do the excursions, if it’s a problem”. I get that, but since I have to have some sort of a cruising budget, paying aprox 20% more for something I’m not using  doesn’t make sense.

On the bright side, the included alcohol, is a nice feature.  We have perhaps overdone it a bit in the beginning 😍.     Internet seems better today. Actually, has been better overall on this second leg of the cruise. Everyday on vacation is a good one no matter the tiny inconveniences.

47 minutes ago, greykitty said:

Is the flooring perhaps luxury vinyl planks or tiles? I believe that could be installed on a ship in indoor rooms. The application is getting more and more popular, especially in heavy use areas both residential and commercial.  

What is unusual is the feel of the floor.  It is non-slip and not smooth like vinyl.  Not familiar with luxury vinyl planks but am impressed with the floor.  Will try to learn more about it as we would love to replace some wood flooring in the kitchen but it would need to be able to withstand spills, etc.  I’m getting so far off track that I need to pull myself back.

Okay - have not taken photos of today’s activities but just took two photos of Lorraine (CD) setting up a game.  Passengers really get into these games and are cheering each other on - applauding them, etc.  Regent passengers are not quite as boring as people may think😇  Will post the two photos when I’m not in our suite (connectivity much better on deck 5 (where the computer room, seating areas, Coffee Connection, Meridien Lounge, Destination Services, Reception and the Cruise Consultant are located.). Deck 5 is a busy but lovely place to hang out.

Edited by Travelcat2

10 hours ago, SkystheLimit said:

Adding to the posts as it's 1:20am and the internet speed is pretty good.  Five O'Clock Somewhere was the headliner in the theatre tonight.  Really good and enthusiastic performance.  I had lamb chops in Compass Rose last night and they were very good and tender.  So, who knows what restaurant got the right chops.  Service pretty slow in CR tonight.  Our waiter was dealing with two assistants that were on their 3rd day on the job.  He was so patient but I felt he was really overloaded with just trying to help them understand what they needed to do next.  One of the assistants said "I will learn" and I know she will.  She is in her last year of law school and taking some time away to earn money for school.  You just can't help but applaud the effort made by so many of those working on the ship. Lovely day in Funchal with beautiful weather.

Terrific post - informative and kind. Thanks.

Thanks if you have a chance to check out the flooring - now I'm curious!  LVT is different than the old vinyl flooring we may remember, and different again from linoleum.  We installed a commercial variety in our condo building's main foyer area - one of the selling points to us was its relatively nonslip surface compared to other floorings, and that it could withstand a fair amount of traffic during our Midwestern winters.  There are definitely different grades - the best LVT can really look like wood or ceramic tile. Almost all our owners thought we had installed a grey tone hardwood.  You'll probably have fun shopping at the flooring specialty stores - so many innovations in all kinds of surfaces even in the last five to ten years.

Travelcat

thank you so much for the photos of the various bar drinks lists

stuff the wood look like flooring, what we need now is the wine list, the connoisseur wine list and all the current menus from all of the restaurants, lunch and dinner please.

only joking🤪

although, if you could manage it......

Will do some menu’s.  Starting with Sette Mari (only for dinner).  The menu does not change much.  The buffet (lunch in La Veranda which is the same space as Sette Mari at night) changes daily.  Then I’ve taken photos of drinks in the Coffee Connection.  Are you going to be on Explorer or Splendor?  If not, P7 (Prime 7) and Chartreuse are not open for lunch (only Compass Rose and that changes daily.) The new ships do have dining at lunch in specialty restaurants (except for Pacific Rim which is only on Explorer and Splendor (when it launches).  

Will give it a try.  Crossing my fingers that it will upload.

279AFB69-5311-4E72-BAD7-FEFA5BCD801A.jpeg

9DC409B6-1764-45D5-9E48-0C6EEBDDEBD2.jpeg

386552B8-0617-445B-9952-C138E7371D34.jpeg

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 2:53 PM, Zqueeze1 said:

Absolutely, as long as you adhere to our protocols and standards. You must promise not to spill your drink, not to fall off the bar stool, and to make sure you have one more after you think you had enough. 

Z and TB

Well, I’d be out of luck.  Falling off barstools is my specialty.

Last one for now.

Bill, if you end up going on our Tokyo to Tokyo cruise, I’ll bring a rope and tie you to the bar stool (with Annemarie’s permission of courses).  This way you can meet “Z’s” protocol and standards.  Should not be an issue!

7FD2B72C-2289-4081-8124-C17B0BDD39BE.jpeg

17 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

You are likely correct but we can hope.  Crew members on the ship acknowledge the issues.  They are in the process of doing an upgrade (just learned this).  One thing that isn’t particularly positive is that we need to put in our last name, date of birth and email address before signing in.  This does not happen every time - perhaps 40% of the time..  Not sure if this is temporary or permanent.

On our September cruise, this was how I signed on the internet the first time. I can't remenber what but not all was required after that. I kinda liked it as I didn't have to remember a new password. Regent, in the on-line tutorial for the electronic Comment Card bragged about it being for ease of access. have you tried the Comment Card yet?

6 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I think I have the bookkeeping part of it figured out (based on my very little knowledge of the topic).  I envision a new “check box” for Regent excursions.  Either it is set for included excursions or it is set to no excursions.  That part is easy but there should be a way of charging guests if they want to book an excursion.  If Regent’s computer system can make different charges for Regent Choice excursions (I.e. 5% off for some Seven Seas Society levels up to 25% off for higher levels), it should be able to look at passengers information - see that they do not have included excursions but are trying to book.  So, it lets you book and charges you.  

Oh, ok, I was thinking that people would pick and chose excursions they wanted to keep, and get a credit for the ones they're not interested in . They way you've laid it out I agree shouldnt be that difficult, but still more work than what they do now. Keep trying, I would love this system!