Princess Internet packages

WallyNDiane

We are sailing on the Caribbean Princess on Feb 2. We are retired so no internet work issues. But I am addicted to my iPad and I play a M-F civil war trivia game. So I am considering getting the internet package.

The Princess website has a daily one device internet fee at $9.99 per day. But they say there is a 50% discount if you book that precruise. Is that $9.99 per day before or after the 50% discount? $5 a day for a 14 day cruise isn't bad. But $10 for something I m trying to get away from is pricey.

Lastly, if you get the Internet package, how fast is the wifi? I would not stream anything, but I would be googling a lot to find my trivia answer, I would get pretty frustrated if it takes a long time to perform 1 google search.

Thank you.

Its a vacation! Its time to unplug, relax and enjoy your cruise!

Ship wifi technology has been steadily getting better and faster, you said you are sailing on the Caribbean Princess which is a Medallion class ship so it has the medallion net WiFi which I have read is quite fast and even allows video streaming and WiFi calling, so I would hazard to guess it should handle a simple google search with ease. We are sailing in the Royal Princess next weekend and have purchased the WiFi as I will unfortunately have to be in contact for work and such so I will run some speed test and report back after our trip with how the WiFi worked out  

• Thanks 1

Caribbean Princess has fast internet. What you mention should not be a problem.

My February 10 day Crown Princess cruise mentions two prices $9.99/day and $69.99 for the entire cruise. There is also a mention of a 50% discount. That is the estimated % over purchasing on board at the highest price. If pre-booked you will be charged whatever it states in the cruise personlizer.

3 hours ago, WallyNDiane said:

I would not stream anything, but I would be googling a lot to find my trivia answer, I would get pretty frustrated if it takes a long time to perform 1 google search.

google for trivia answers ????

there is trivia on the ship and googling is strongly advised against ...

maybe your group online has different rules and levels of difficultly and googling is part of the process ??

Fastest internet I've ever seen at sea. I've cruised on 3 Medallion Class ships and all had very fast internet.

The 50% is confusing. I just paid $59.99 for 7 days on the Regal. That comes out to $8.57 per day, It's not 50% less than they charge per day aboard the ship, but it's close. Even though we both have 150 free minutes, it's still cheaper for us to purchase one pre cruise package that we can share the entire cruise. If we waited until we use up our free minutes and switch to paying by the day for the remainder of the cruise, it would probably cost us more.

5 hours ago, WallyNDiane said:

We are sailing on the Caribbean Princess on Feb 2. We are retired so no internet work issues. But I am addicted to my iPad and I play a M-F civil war trivia game. So I am considering getting the internet package.

The Princess website has a daily one device internet fee at $9.99 per day. But they say there is a 50% discount if you book that precruise. Is that $9.99 per day before or after the 50% discount? $5 a day for a 14 day cruise isn't bad. But $10 for something I m trying to get away from is pricey.

Lastly, if you get the Internet package, how fast is the wifi? I would not stream anything, but I would be googling a lot to find my trivia answer, I would get pretty frustrated if it takes a long time to perform 1 google search.

Thank you.

If you log onto https://www.princess.com and go to your Personalizer page for that cruise, it will tell you the exact price of whatever options are available for your cruise.  (They vary by ship and cruise)

North of about Seattle or Southampton, satellite uplinks are significantly more expensive (it's a matter of orbital geometry), so our internet package dollars don't buy as much speed up there.  South of there, Regal ran a test in '18 and simultaneously had a video-quality stream going to each stateroom.  That's not going to happen up north; they're working to improve it, but when last I sailed that far north, it was common up there for shipboard internet to get overloaded and crash.

Edited by Haboob

If you need to depend on fast Internet to enjoy your cruise you will likely be very disappointed.  The reality is that even with all the improvements we have seen with the implementation of Medallion Net, the service is still not dependable.  When we were on the CB in August the Internet was quite slow.  On our more recent Emerald cruise (just back this Monday) the Internet service was totally down for 7 hours on one sea day and for nearly as long on the following day.  I am not talking slow....but talking about Zero.  Even the ships own Intranet (with the daily schedules, account info, etc) was down for a few hours.  When the system did work it was very slow.  Prior to our departure from Europe to cross over to Ft Lauderdale we received a letter (sent to each cabin) warning of poor Internet service on the Atlantic.  

The last poster mentioned service in the North, but we actually had pretty good service when we were on a more northerly route with the Regal.  Our Emerald crossing was a pretty normal route (from the Azores to Florida) where we have experienced excellent Internet on other ships (and lines) prior to Medallion Net.  Now, after Princess has spent millions to upgrade, it seems like service is not much better, and often worse, then with older systems.

Hank

16 hours ago, skynight said:

Caribbean Princess has fast internet. What you mention should not be a problem.

My February 10 day Crown Princess cruise mentions two prices $9.99/day and $69.99 for the entire cruise. There is also a mention of a 50% discount. That is the estimated % over purchasing on board at the highest price. If pre-booked you will be charged whatever it states in the cruise personlizer.

We're sailing on Caribbean Princess next month and thinking about buying the four gadget wifi.  Is it good enough to download programmes from a British Entertainment channel or sky and then watch them? 

1 hour ago, lynn2002 said:

We're sailing on Caribbean Princess next month and thinking about buying the four gadget wifi.  Is it good enough to download programmes from a British Entertainment channel or sky and then watch them? 

I really don't know the answer to your question.