Tell me about the Coral Princess PLEASE!

Gracie115

6 hours ago, lstone19 said:

I suspect one reason Princess did not exercise the options is they were not happy with the shipyard. Coral Princess was delayed and they had to cancel at least the first six cruises in late 2002 (we were booked on what was orginally the sixth - a Christmas / New Year's cruise; we watched it go from sixth to second to first to cancelled). I think Island Princess was also delayed but I'm less sure of that.

Interestingly, I got into a discussion with one of the ship's senior officers last month who was unaware of that aspect of the ship's history. As the ship's information listed in delivered in 2002, they assumed it had gone into service in 2002. I assured them it did not and was even able to show them one of the Cruise Critic buttons I had made marking that first scheduled and then actual holiday cruise (below).

IMG_5471.jpeg

The Coral Princess' very first passenger cruise was on January 3, 2003, 10 day partial canal transit. We were on board, actually the 3rd and 4th paying passengers on board. Cruises from November 2002 forward were cancelled due to issues with the sea trails. We had the New Year's Eve, button above, party during our cruise. The CD had purchased all the decorations for the previous cruise and did not want them to go to waste. Every cabin on board received the new at that time Princess cook book. Ours is signed by the Captain. The staff reported that they sailed from Europe on Christmas Day and the crossing was very rough, causing some damage to on board supplies. The phone system was not working the first few days, some cabins had to have toilets replaced, the ship was listing, and some other minor issues. But, the cruise, staff and ship were great. One of our favorite cruises. The Coral and Island were built by Chantiers de l'Atlantique in France.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, skynight said:

The staff reported that they sailed from Europe on Christmas Day and the crossing was very rough, causing some damage to on board supplies. The phone system was not working the first few days, some cabins had to have toilets replaced, the ship was listing, and some other minor issues.  

This is a little concerning since we are going to Antarctica and around Cape Horn which are known areas for rough waters.  Has anyone experienced rough waters  on the Coral and if so how did the ship handle it? We don't normally have any issue with rough seas but it's been awhile since we've been on a ship this small.

We did the Coral in 2016 and just the best vacation ever. The ship, crew, food ambiance was top shelf. Because of that we just did it's sister the Island Princess. Complete opposite. Terrible ship, food and entertainment was stale. Most of the crew was tired and totally checked out of the process. First time on a Princess ship. But if the Coral comes back from the West Coast we definitely will go again.

We sailed the Coral last Fall on the Circle the Pacific/Asian cruise (60 day). Enjoyed completely.  The Elite Lounge was held in the Universal Theater due to so many Platinum/Elite passengers.  Don't think TV had on demand.   Some motion between Alaska and Japan but never disconcerting.  Overall, good food, crew, activities, etc.  I would recommend.  We have also sailed Crown and Sapphire and think Princess does a great job.

7 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

This is a little concerning since we are going to Antarctica and around Cape Horn which are known areas for rough waters.  Has anyone experienced rough waters  on the Coral and if so how did the ship handle it? We don't normally have any issue with rough seas but it's been awhile since we've been on a ship this small.

As sofiefleurie mentioned above, between Alaska and Japan we were avoiding two typhoons. There were times the seas were over 30' and we didn't feel it too bad in our room, but we were low and toward the middle. With the buffet at the front of the ship, there was more motion, but it was great to look out and see  the bow breaking waves. Being able to see out and forward also helped with the motion as the front of horizon court is all forward facing glass.

As to going across down to Antarctica, sailing on the Coral has to be better than going in one of the Russian ice breakers that only hold a couple of hundred passengers going 10 knots.

Our only experience with Cape Horn in 2016 included people complaining the seas weren't rough enough. The day we sailed the cape, seas were almost dead flat.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Winter on the North Atlantic can be tough. Most cruise ships are really not of the right design for crossing the Atlantic in winter. Had the shipyard been able to deliver Coral Princess as scheduled, it would have done so in October rather than late December.

However, on our one-year delayed cruise on Coral Princess in 2003, we had one sea day where we had gale force winds all day. Despite some rocking and rolling, it handled it fine. In some respects, smaller is better. A lot of the issues with the large ships comes from how big the superstructure is and the effect of the wind hitting it broadside rather than from actual sea conditions. Coral Princess, having two fewer decks than the Royal-class ships, will not be affected by wind as much.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lstone19 said:

Winter on the North Atlantic can be tough. Most cruise ships are really not of the right design for crossing the Atlantic in winter. Had the shipyard been able to deliver Coral Princess as scheduled, it would have done so in October rather than late December.

However, on our one-year delayed cruise on Coral Princess in 2003, we had one sea day where we had gale force winds all day. Despite some rocking and rolling, it handled it fine. In some respects, smaller is better. A lot of the issues with the large ships comes from how big the superstructure is and the effect of the wind hitting it broadside rather than from actual sea conditions. Coral Princess, having two fewer decks than the Royal-class ships, will not be affected by wind as much.

31 minutes ago, TheRabbit said:

As sofiefleurie mentioned above, between Alaska and Japan we were avoiding two typhoons. There were times the seas were over 30' and we didn't feel it too bad in our room, but we were low and toward the middle. With the buffet at the front of the ship, there was more motion, but it was great to look out and see  the bow breaking waves. Being able to see out and forward also helped with the motion as the front of horizon court is all forward facing glass.

As to going across down to Antarctica, sailing on the Coral has to be better than going in one of the Russian ice breakers that only hold a couple of hundred passengers going 10 knots.

Our only experience with Cape Horn in 2016 included people complaining the seas weren't rough enough. The day we sailed the cape, seas were almost dead flat.

Thank you both for your comments.  I think we will be fine on the Coral!!

Hi

just returned from a 15 night cruise through Panama Canal on Coral - we’ve mainly sailed on larger ships, Regal and Royal being most recent. Coral was ok, much to like as others have said, but there were some negatives:

The tv is dire! No movies on demand, limited channel selection showing very very old shows... think Loveboat, old Parks and Recreation reruns etc

Food variety is nowhere near as good as Regal or Royal - the buffet area is much smaller.

We experienced a lot of vibration in cabin B706. I gather this is not uncommon at the aft.

Personally, I didn’t like the roof over the pool, found it made the area dark and airless. That whole pool area desperately needs a refresh.

I wouldn’t choose Coral again. 

Coral is great. Two of its best features are the covered pool (cool in hot climes, comfortable in colder climes) and the full promenade. The promenade is especially nice as a place to chill and sightsee from. There are some great loungers there.

TV has plenty of channels, but not on demand, which is fine with me; I barely watch TV when I am cruising.

9 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Coral is great. Two of its best features are the covered pool (cool in hot climes, comfortable in colder climes) and the full promenade. The promenade is especially nice as a place to chill and sightsee from. There are some great loungers there.

TV has plenty of channels, but not on demand, which is fine with me; I barely watch TV when I am cruising.

as long as there are a couple news channels we'll be fine.

The Coral sounds great to us.  I love the idea of the promenade, we so infrequently go to the buffet area that it doesn't matter if its smaller with less choices.  

Anyone else have thoughts about the Coral they can share?  All info, good & bad is appreciated.

4 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

as long as there are a couple news channels we'll be fine.

The Coral sounds great to us.  I love the idea of the promenade, we so infrequently go to the buffet area that it doesn't matter if its smaller with less choices.  

Anyone else have thoughts about the Coral they can share?  All info, good & bad is appreciated.

I believe you said that you are cruising on the Coral in December 2020.  According to the schedule, they are rolling out the Medallions by 2020 and as part of that they should implement the on demand programming.  Wish it was happening sooner, we are on in January and love the on demand TV options - we've been a bit spoiled by it and will definitely miss it, especially with so many sea days.

We've been on the Coral a couple of times and have enjoyed it.  While we prefer the larger buffets of the Royal class ships, we found plenty to eat on the Coral's buffet.  It has most of the other amenities of the other Princess ships, just on a smaller scale.

22 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

I believe you said that you are cruising on the Coral in December 2020.  According to the schedule, they are rolling out the Medallions by 2020 and as part of that they should implement the on demand programming.  Wish it was happening sooner, we are on in January and love the on demand TV options - we've been a bit spoiled by it and will definitely miss it, especially with so many sea days.

We've been on the Coral a couple of times and have enjoyed it.  While we prefer the larger buffets of the Royal class ships, we found plenty to eat on the Coral's buffet.  It has most of the other amenities of the other Princess ships, just on a smaller scale.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I had also read that the Medallions were supposed to be implemented on the Coral in October 2020, which cuts it a bit close in case there are snags in other installs, but we'll hope for the best.  It's not a deal breaker for us if it doesn't happen.  I think we will enjoy a smaller ship for this itinerary.  

Been on it twice so far in AK but will be on the cruise next month similar to yours next year over Christmas and New Year's. Love this "little" ship and will be interesting to see how it fares on this journey. Just follow our roll call or the others just after ours to see if anyone is posting "live" from the ship. I don't do that so I know it won't be me!  Our 1st Princess cruise was on the Coral and we both loved the ship and can't wait for this cruise. I sure hope you booked your excursion to Volunteer Point! 

7 hours ago, paradiselivin1 said:

Been on it twice so far in AK but will be on the cruise next month similar to yours next year over Christmas and New Year's. Love this "little" ship and will be interesting to see how it fares on this journey. Just follow our roll call or the others just after ours to see if anyone is posting "live" from the ship. I don't do that so I know it won't be me!  Our 1st Princess cruise was on the Coral and we both loved the ship and can't wait for this cruise. I sure hope you booked your excursion to Volunteer Point! 

Indeed we have our excursion booked to Volunteer Point. 😃 

Thanks for the suggestion to watch for someone posting "live"  I hope someone does that as I really want to hear how this year's trips work out.  

I'm sure we will like the Coral too!!

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:17 AM, lstone19 said:

I suspect one reason Princess did not exercise the options is they were not happy with the shipyard. Coral Princess was delayed and they had to cancel at least the first six cruises in late 2002 (we were booked on what was orginally the sixth - a Christmas / New Year's cruise; we watched it go from sixth to second to first to cancelled). I think Island Princess was also delayed but I'm less sure of that.

Interestingly, I got into a discussion with one of the ship's senior officers last month who was unaware of that aspect of the ship's history. As the ship's information listed in delivered in 2002, they assumed it had gone into service in 2002. I assured them it did not and was even able to show them one of the Cruise Critic buttons I had made marking that first scheduled and then actual holiday cruise (below).

IMG_5471.jpeg

Coral and Island Princess are the only two ships of the Princess fleet built at the St. Nazaire shipyard in France, which later became STX.  All other Princess ships were built by Fincantieri in Italy.  Interestingly, Fincantieri is currently in the process of gaining that St. Nazaire shipyard.

30 minutes ago, lois1112 said:

I have sailed on the Coral several times and she is also my favorite ship (Alaska, Panama Canal) and am doing Antarctica on her in January. I love the forward viewing decks (I think deck 10- especially for Panama Canal) 

I hope you will post a review after your Antarctica trip, we are interested in hearing everything about it!

20 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

MSNBC and Fox News are on the Princess TVs, not CNN.

I have seen CNN International on board.

22 hours ago, cborzill said:

Coral and Island Princess are the only two ships of the Princess fleet built at the St. Nazaire shipyard in France, which later became STX.  All other Princess ships were built by Fincantieri in Italy.  Interestingly, Fincantieri is currently in the process of gaining that St. Nazaire shipyard.

The Sapphire and Diamond were built by Mitsubishi in Japan. The Pacific was built in St. Nazaire, for Renaissance.

1 hour ago, skynight said:

I have seen CNN International on board.

The Sapphire and Diamond were built by Mitsubishi in Japan. The Pacific was built in St. Nazaire, for Renaissance.

I stand corrected!  Thanks for reminding that Diamond and Sapphire were built by Mitsubishi.