Specialty Foods in NZ and Australia

Beanb41

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

The Kapiti White chocolate and raspberry is great, I buy tubs of it in Aldi. 

Is Aldi in NZ ?

No Aldi in NZ yet,  Not a big enough concentration pf population in one area to support it like Australia. We have a duopoly with Countdown (Woolworths Au) and Foodstufs (Owner operated co-op)

How timely a subject!  My daughter is on her way to NZ for a two-week visit; she'll be in Auckland for two days, and then will join up with her friend and they'll head to Queenstown, then Rotorua.  Any suggestions for local favorites (food or drink) would be greatly appreciated!

4 hours ago, IRMO12HD said:

How timely a subject!  My daughter is on her way to NZ for a two-week visit; she'll be in Auckland for two days, and then will join up with her friend and they'll head to Queenstown, then Rotorua.  Any suggestions for local favorites (food or drink) would be greatly appreciated!

Chocolate fush!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

Thanks for the tip.  Next time I'm getting fish and chips, I'll be sure to ask for cholesterol free spuds deep fried in fat free oil with sugar free beer battered snapper.  It'll make a nice change from my usual, grilled fish with salad no dressing. 

Sounds positively healthy.

4 hours ago, IRMO12HD said:

Local beers, not big brand names but the actual boutique local brews are always great to try.

• Like 1

For those coming from northern climes who complain that they don't know the difference between Australian and New Zealand accents the answer is very simple. We in NZ don't have one. Accents are only found on foreigners and the banter continues.

But getting back to the origin of this thread both our countries have everything food and medicine wise that you will find at home. Whilst some medicines may be over the counter at home they may be restricted here. If in doubt with any meds declare them. If you legitimately need them you will be allowed to keep them, if not legitimate then you wont.

Any food and I mean any food you bring from home declare it. If permitted across the border then you will be allowed to keep it, if not you will lose it with no penalty.  Most prepacked commercial foods are okay as long as they don't contain meat, eggs, honey in the raw state and are company sealed. Most fruit in the raw state wont be permitted either.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, IRMO12HD said:

We recommend she tries the whitebait fritters - a must try!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tara Jane said:

Hokey pokey ice cream yummmmy

I would have expected Hokey Pokey to have come out as the most popular in this years list, but it didnt even get a mention. Boysenberry Ripple seems to be the one, 5 years in a row voted most popular.

Hokey Pokey is not as I remember it used to be. The pieces are really tiny now. more like hundreds and thousands. Perhaps too many law suits with people breaking teeth on the bigger pieces.😬

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 12:20 PM, Beanb41 said:

I dont want to sound condescending but when we antipodeans travel north we have a greater appreciation of what we can get that is comparable to back home as opposed to those travelling south, many of whom think we are living in a primitive existence. 

From my experience, I believe that we Aussies know more about the rest of the World than they know about us. 🙂 I am not sure as to why that is. 

46 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

From my experience, I believe that we Aussies know more about the rest of the World than they know about us. 🙂 I am not sure as to why that is. 

Probably because we are exposed to so many overseas TV shows and movies, comb8ned with the fact that we tend to travel a lot in part due to our generous (compared to many places) holidays and relatively high income levels.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

I would have expected Hokey Pokey to have come out as the most popular in this years list, but it didnt even get a mention. Boysenberry Ripple seems to be the one, 5 years in a row voted most popular.

Hokey Pokey is not as I remember it used to be. The pieces are really tiny now. more like hundreds and thousands. Perhaps too many law suits with people breaking teeth on the bigger pieces.😬

Recently had Hokey Pokey ice cream in NZ and was quite disappointed.

Boysenberry Ripple definitely the winner for me.