Upsell Offer - Pretty Steep

CATGUY7

Princess has been doing this a lot lately. We got an upsell for a mini that would have made our fair more expensive than booking the mini direct. 

I wonder how many people they are suckering with these emails? I sent them a pretty stern email about it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sun&sea said:

Yep. We have M6 club class mini. Offer for Sky 7 day cruise to upsell to Penthouse suite...$999/pp. Crazy stuff. No thanks.

Janet

But you’d save 700 p/p over us!  😂

• Haha 1

The upsells I've heard about lately have been crazy.  Someone in another forum reported that they received an upsell offer to an owners suite for $4,999 for a 28 day cruise to Hawaii / Tahiti next year.  That may make sense if they were in an inside cabin, but they booked a PH suite!  Maybe they are seeing how far they can push the pricing and still get folks to buy.  Methinks this experiment is doomed to failure and the sooner the better!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, antmaril said:

I got an upsell offer this afternoon from Princess to upgrade from a Mini-Suite to an Owner’s Suite for $1,999 per person.  This is for the Sky Princess in January.  

Um, no thank you.  

I don’t suppose this was for a 28 day cruise ?  We usually get an offer at about $1,000 pp for 20 day cruises

Many on our roll call also got upgrade offers that are clearly about maximising the profit.  Our offer (which was a common one) was just over $50pp per day for an upgrade from obstructed view to balcony.  This was actually more than if we had booked a balcony cabin at time of booking so certainly not a bargain.  

The cruise is sold out so they must be trying to get the last penny possible before allocating the guarantee cabins - but no one in the roll call group were going to take them up on it.  One person said they had a $1800pp offer for balcony to mini suite. 

4 hours ago, sun&sea said:

Yep. We have M6 club class mini. Offer for Sky 7 day cruise to upsell to Penthouse suite...$999/pp. Crazy stuff. No thanks.

Janet

I might be tempted if it was for the Sky Suites. I would love to check one of those out!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, memoak said:

I don’t suppose this was for a 28 day cruise ?  We usually get an offer at about $1,000 pp for 20 day cruises

I’m sorry.  I should have mentioned that the upsell we received was for a seven day cruise.  $1,999 per person- Mini-Suite to Owner’s Suite. 

1 hour ago, antmaril said:

I’m sorry.  I should have mentioned that the upsell we received was for a seven day cruise.  $1,999 per person- Mini-Suite to Owner’s Suite. 

Ours was 7 day also.  So, 243.00 p/p per day.   A real bargain. 🙄

We got the upsell from a mini to a full suite for a 14-day transatlantic last year. It was $900/ea. and we jumped at it. Great aft cabin (with huge wrap-around balcony) was great considering we had so many sea days.  Loved all the perks that came with it.  We also got the upsell offer for an 11-day Mediterranean voyage that we were on last month.   However, with eight ports it just wasn’t worth the extra dollars since we’d be off of the ship most of the time.

So, what is a good daily rate to add-on for an upsell?  I was offered $799 pp from a mini-suite to a full-suite...7 day cruise...or $114 pp per day.  I guess that could be reasonable, but that's a lot of good times with that extra $1600 to spend on ourselves.

Back in October we revived a up-sell offer for out 5 day on the Royal to go from our Deluxe Balcony to a Mini Suite  for $139pp not worth it to me at the time but after seeing some of these other offers maybe $139pp wasn't so bad, but from what I can remember at the time of booking a mini suite was only maybe 100-150 more than the deluxe balcony 

45 minutes ago, Matco said:

Back in October we revived a up-sell offer for out 5 day on the Royal to go from our Deluxe Balcony to a Mini Suite  for $139pp not worth it to me at the time but after seeing some of these other offers maybe $139pp wasn't so bad, but from what I can remember at the time of booking a mini suite was only maybe 100-150 more than the deluxe balcony 

I'm on the same sailing as you.  At the beginning of October we got an upsell to move from our interior to a balcony for $99/pp ($149/pp for deluxe), and then we got another one at the beginning of November to move for $39/pp ($79/pp for deluxe).  We haven't taken either one, but just out of curiosity I went and looked at the current fares, and, the price for an interior is actually lower than the price for a balcony on this particular sailing now (Mini-Suites and Full Suites are sold out.)

Edited by Vexorg

43 minutes ago, Vexorg said:

I'm on the same sailing as you.  At the beginning of October we got an upsell to move from our interior to a balcony for $99/pp ($149/pp for deluxe), and then we got another one at the beginning of November to move for $39/pp ($79/pp for deluxe).  We haven't taken either one, but just out of curiosity I went and looked at the current fares, and, the price for an interior is actually lower than the price for a balcony on this particular sailing now (Mini-Suites and Full Suites are sold out.)

I would move from a interior to a balcony for $39pp in a heartbeat, and welcome maybe we will see you around the ship

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bemis12 said:

I value an upgrade from a mini to a full suite at $100-$150 per day.  That's where I would consider the upgrade myself.

Others would value it differently based on their own desires and financial positions.

We probably would have taken this deal, except we have all the kids and other family in mini's side by side to ours.  It's kind of nice o open up the balconies and make it a big party.  Maybe next time!

We received an upsell for our upcoming 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise - a mini to aft Penthouse suite on the Royal for $499 p/p and $149 for our 3rd passenger, plus we get to keep the premium beverage package we booked under the Sip and Sail promo.  Can't wait!!!    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, I object 2 said:

We received an upsell for our upcoming 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise - a mini to aft Penthouse suite on the Royal for $499 p/p and $149 for our 3rd passenger, plus we get to keep the premium beverage package we booked under the Sip and Sail promo.  Can't wait!!!    

Have a wonderful time!!  

3 hours ago, I object 2 said:

Charging for 3rd guest is new.....it's usually only guests one and two!

We got a ridiculous one as well. We booked a Cat# D4 Rear-facing balcony, and this was sent to us:

**INCREDIBLE UPGRADE OFFER *JUST FOR YOU!* Princess Cruises has selected you for this exclusive offer! Upgrade your BALCONY cabin to MINI SUITE on your November 30 2019 ROYAL PRINCESS SAILING! Enjoy a spacious mini suite. Including luxurious accommodations, a separate seating area with a sofa bed, bathroom with a combination tub and shower, 2 flat-panel televisions and a private balcony!! This special upgrade opportunity is available for just $139 USD/$201 CAD* per person additional

----- Our *Premium Deluxe* Balcony already has the extra couch. So we would lose our awesome rear-facing view on a balcony that's larger than the MiniSuite's, but gain another useless TV and a bathtub, AND have to pay $278 extra. Truly shameful. They'll hear about it after the cruise. I feel really bad for anyone that thinks they're getting a good deal with these 'exclusive offers'.

Edited by jgrant1701
this is for a 5-day cruise