Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
diba

Cunard-Queen Mary 2-Kennels-Eastbound-Cancellation?

Recommended Posts

Hi All, I'm relocating with my dog and was wondering if any of you had to cancel their trip for some reason, since I need two (large) kennels on the QM2, Eastbound, going from NY to Hamburg (or even to Southampton, it's ok).  April, May, June, July.   Maybe you can transfer the ticket to me with the space for 2 kennels.

 

I would greatly appreciate it if you could let me know if you will cancel as my dog can't fly, and I need to relocate as of April.

 

you can reach me at sammyjones777@yahoo.ca

 

Thanks and safe travels! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Are you on a waiting list with Cunard ? That's probably a more reliable method of getting kennel space.

You need to make a reservation, give deposit so that you get on the waiting list, and hope for the best but penalties apply if there’s no kennel available so you cancel the trip. I can’t reserve all 5 transatlantic cruises to be put in each waiting list in the hope to get 2 kennels. My trip is due to relocation with dog so without him no reason for me to take the cruise. Inversely, if there’s a couple of kennels on another cruise I would take it because this is mainly for my pup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The waiting list is probably the only reasonable hope you have of securing two kennel spaces.  Miracles sometimes do happen but the chances that somebody on this board would 1) see your post, 2) have to cancel a TA, and 3) have booked two spaces, are about as probable has winning a major lottery prize.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BlueRiband said:

The waiting list is probably the only reasonable hope you have of securing two kennel spaces.  Miracles sometimes do happen but the chances that somebody on this board would 1) see your post, 2) have to cancel a TA, and 3) have booked two spaces, are about as probable has winning a major lottery prize.

 

And wouldn't it be queue-barging those on the waiting list?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We each have our own way of trying to solve the same problem. I'm not going on vacation with my pet, I'm relocating and he can't fly.  We all do what's best for our kids.  If someone on this forum is going to lose the money and I offer them not to and get the two kennels, then... I don't see why a win-win situation would be frowned upon.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BlueRiband said:

The waiting list is probably the only reasonable hope you have of securing two kennel spaces.  Miracles sometimes do happen but the chances that somebody on this board would 1) see your post, 2) have to cancel a TA, and 3) have booked two spaces, are about as probable has winning a major lottery prize.

I know... I know... but God and the universe works in mysterious ways, I try different routes.. who knows... I found this forum and I asked a question, I'm not relying on this forum to actually find it.. but you never know... never say never... and never take anything for granted either... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks like a pretty obvious attempt to jump the waitlist.  Which is very poor show.

 

At the 90-day deposit payment point, a lot of cancellations come through in any case.  If you haven’t heard anything when the 90-day point arrives, assume you have been unlucky.

Edited by IB2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, IB2 said:

This looks like a pretty obvious attempt to jump the waitlist.  Which is very poor show.

 

At the 90-day deposit payment point, a lot of cancellations come through in any case.  If you haven’t heard anything when the 90-day point arrives, assume you have been unlucky.

I AM on the waiting list, and I am waiting the 90-day point.   Desperate times take desperate measures.  The way it's done now, is that you have to reserve every single cruise in order to be placed on a waiting list for that cruise. It gets expensive, if not impossible. It would be nice if they had a waiting list for people who need to relocate (and not just take vacation with their pets) and who'd be flexible with cruise dates, pay a fee to be put on waiting list, and get the first spot available on x cruise date. It would still be a first come first served basis.  The current way, if I'm waiting for the April cruise - for example - and someone else AFTER me reserves the September cruise, and September gets a cancellation, but not the April cruise, then still they would be ''jumping waitlist'' because I came first, just on the wrong cruise.  Makes sense?  I hope one day they'll add more kennels, or other cruise ships will allow pets.  Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They book up so quickly that it’s a real hard job to get one

 

When my partner relocated to the UK from USA we looked into it for out cocker spaniel who was 10 at that point.  We didn't want the trauma of him flying at that age

 

All sold out etc so when I contacted our Cunard Voyage Specialist (remember them!) He told us as soon as the the voyages go on sale (12/18 months in the future etc) the kennels go within minutes and then they start a waiting list

 

So with heavy heart poor chap had to fly - it was fine though albeit scary. He got here and when I picked him up at LHR he was fine. Sadly lost him January 2019 aged 15 1/2

 

Hope you find a way 

Edited by Craigrlewis
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Craigrlewis said:

They book up so quickly that it’s a real hard job to get one

 

When my partner relocated to the UK from USA we looked into it for out cocker spaniel who was 10 at that point.  We didn't want the trauma of him flying at that age

 

All sold out etc so when I contacted our Cunard Voyage Specialist (remember them!) He told us as soon as the the voyages go on sale (12/18 months in the future etc) the kennels go within minutes and then they start a waiting list

 

So with heavy heart poor chap had to fly - it was fine though albeit scary. He got here and when I picked him up at LHR he was fine. Sadly lost him January 2019 aged 15 1/2

 

Hope you find a way 

Thank you!! We lost our mini schnauzer at young age of 7 to hemangiosarcoma heart and spleen.  Now his big brother, other breed - the one who will follow me to Europe - just had surgery 2 weeks ago and we removed his full lung for cancer and his spleen. Thank God no cancer in spleen but lung yes...  he's starting to get old, so... older, one lung only, anxious pup (now even more so after divorce).... it would spell disaster in a long flight. I don't want to lose him. I already lost everything else here in North America (long story).  Just want to go home with my pup and have him live his last few years (I hope) in a better place than here.  Thanks.. I also pray pray pray!! :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, diba said:

I AM on the waiting list, and I am waiting the 90-day point.   Desperate times take desperate measures.  The way it's done now, is that you have to reserve every single cruise in order to be placed on a waiting list for that cruise. It gets expensive, if not impossible. It would be nice if they had a waiting list for people who need to relocate (and not just take vacation with their pets) and who'd be flexible with cruise dates, pay a fee to be put on waiting list, and get the first spot available on x cruise date. It would still be a first come first served basis.  The current way, if I'm waiting for the April cruise - for example - and someone else AFTER me reserves the September cruise, and September gets a cancellation, but not the April cruise, then still they would be ''jumping waitlist'' because I came first, just on the wrong cruise.  Makes sense?  I hope one day they'll add more kennels, or other cruise ships will allow pets.  Cheers!

I have done two TAs with a dog this year, and both crossings had people on it who had got kennel spaces at the last minute (i.e the 90-day point).  People do tend to reserve spaces on several crossings then cancel those they don’t need; one couple I met had paid deposits on three different crossings, then Cunard allowed them to roll up the deposits against the one crossing they actually made.

 

So if you are reasonably far up the waitlist you stand a very good chance.

 

Also on both of my crossings there were one or two cages empty, due to last minute no shows or problems with the paperwork.  Obviously hanging on this long would put the deposit on the crossing at risk if space doesn’t come up,  but it seemed to me that they don’t often cross with every single cage taken.

 

I doubt they will ever add more kennels; it isn’t just the kennel space but the accommodation and staffing - pretty close to capacity already.  

Edited by IB2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, IB2 said:

I have done two TAs with a dog this year, and both crossings had people on it who had got kennel spaces at the last minute (i.e the 90-day point).  People do tend to reserve spaces on several crossings then cancel those they don’t need; one couple I met had paid deposits on three different crossings, then Cunard allowed them to roll up the deposits against the one crossing they actually made.

 

So if you are reasonably far up the waitlist you stand a very good chance.

 

Also on both of my crossings there were one or two cages empty, due to last minute no shows or problems with the paperwork.  Obviously hanging on this long would put the deposit on the crossing at risk if space doesn’t come up,  but it seemed to me that they don’t often cross with every single cage taken.

 

I doubt they will ever add more kennels; it isn’t just the kennel space but the accommodation and staffing - pretty close to capacity already.  

Thank you. I'll cross fingers.  I'm also 6-7 hours drive away from NY & will need to leave my job when I know when I'll go & get everything organized and find a ride to there, so the stand-by is a bit tough (especially with work).... I do cross my fingers (and toes).  Too bad I just found out about Cunard.. I had spent since June researching how to get my pup across and was contacting cargo ships, etc.  One day QM2 popped up and it was like a miracle!! I think other commercial ships or cruises should seriously consider having a couple of kennels and a small space aboard for them. Or maybe have twice a year a crossing just for people relocating... I don't know. Maybe it's just desperation making me blab and blab.. BTW by the 90 day you need to pay in full, and if you don't have space you do lose the money, you can't switch it to another cruise (that's what I was told by customer service). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, diba said:

Thank you. I'll cross fingers.  I'm also 6-7 hours drive away from NY & will need to leave my job when I know when I'll go & get everything organized and find a ride to there, so the stand-by is a bit tough (especially with work).... I do cross my fingers (and toes).  Too bad I just found out about Cunard.. I had spent since June researching how to get my pup across and was contacting cargo ships, etc.  One day QM2 popped up and it was like a miracle!! I think other commercial ships or cruises should seriously consider having a couple of kennels and a small space aboard for them. Or maybe have twice a year a crossing just for people relocating... I don't know. Maybe it's just desperation making me blab and blab.. BTW by the 90 day you need to pay in full, and if you don't have space you do lose the money, you can't switch it to another cruise (that's what I was told by customer service). 

Yes, on the payment point you are right, sorry for any confusion.  It might I guess be worth giving the kennels a ring a few days before sailing to see if there’s a last minute dropout; getting a cabin at the last minute is probably easier, except in high summer.

 

Also, if you have an anxious dog, don’t think it’ll be plain sailing, and be as prepared as you can.  My dog gets separation anxiety and the crossing was tough.  Although there’s nothing as bad as a flight, the routine becomes relentless and seven days is a lonnnggg time.  I would say that on my crossings around half the dogs took it quite bad, with the full range of behavioural and digestive problems on display.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IB2 said:

Yes, on the payment point you are right, sorry for any confusion.  It might I guess be worth giving the kennels a ring a few days before sailing to see if there’s a last minute dropout; getting a cabin at the last minute is probably easier, except in high summer.

 

Also, if you have an anxious dog, don’t think it’ll be plain sailing, and be as prepared as you can.  My dog gets separation anxiety and the crossing was tough.  Although there’s nothing as bad as a flight, the routine becomes relentless and seven days is a lonnnggg time.  I would say that on my crossings around half the dogs took it quite bad, with the full range of behavioural and digestive problems on display.

Thanks so much for the tips!! They're greatly appreciated. Yes, a friend of mine also mentioned that 7 days stuck on a ship is looonnggg... and if he's feeling queazy it's going to be tough. The road trip afterwards too, to the final destination, although that I can break down in short routes and overnight stops as I see fit.  He only started anxiety after we lost our other pup 2 yrs ago (I had gotten them both as pups and they grew up together) and he was alone, and now more so after divorce, we sold the house a couple of months ago and had to move into apartments, ex has him now, as here it's really hard to find a place accepting dogs (and kids), and he was feeling sick before surgery, so started his separation anxiety.  If I get a spot on the ship I'll bring with me the canine version of Gravol, and stay with him the max time allotted.  I thought the ship was stable and you don't feel like you're on the ship? (Never taken a cruise in my life).

Edited by diba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2019 at 6:35 AM, diba said:

 If I get a spot on the ship I'll bring with me the canine version of Gravol, and stay with him the max time allotted.  I thought the ship was stable and you don't feel like you're on the ship? (Never taken a cruise in my life).

 

The QM2 is pretty much the most stable ship you will ever encounter. I say that as a professional mariner.

But the North Atlantic is the North Atlantic and it is a weeklong trip. 

The ship has active stabilizer fins that reduce the roll but they do nothing to mitigate any pitching motions (the bow going up and down) the ship might encounter if seas get rough. The ship's hull-form and the weather routing practiced by the navigators ensures that motions are minimized, but bear in mind the kennels are on Deck 12, albeit quite far aft where the motion is somewhat reduced.
The decision is obviously yours to make, but should an opening not appear in a QM2 kennel then I'm sure your beloved pet will survive a single flight of a few hours, undoubtedly completely unscathed. Typically it is the owners who are more traumatized by the notion of a flight than are most animals. Most flights involve less severe motion than a car ride of the same duration.
Hope it works out for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, VintageCCG said:

 

The QM2 is pretty much the most stable ship you will ever encounter. I say that as a professional mariner.

But the North Atlantic is the North Atlantic and it is a weeklong trip. 

The ship has active stabilizer fins that reduce the roll but they do nothing to mitigate any pitching motions (the bow going up and down) the ship might encounter if seas get rough. The ship's hull-form and the weather routing practiced by the navigators ensures that motions are minimized, but bear in mind the kennels are on Deck 12, albeit quite far aft where the motion is somewhat reduced.
The decision is obviously yours to make, but should an opening not appear in a QM2 kennel then I'm sure your beloved pet will survive a single flight of a few hours, undoubtedly completely unscathed. Typically it is the owners who are more traumatized by the notion of a flight than are most animals. Most flights involve less severe motion than a car ride of the same duration.
Hope it works out for you.

Thank you for the explanation. Very interesting.  My dog has only one lung now. If I see the stats, there are more dogs who died, got lost, etc. on flights (cargo), than any who died on ship (I don't think any has ever died on ship).  I base my decision on that.  If I find no spot on QM2, he will have to fly and I will only use Lufthansa (shortest flight possible which is 7h20 min), as they have a pretty good record with live animals but if anything happens to him, I would never forgive myself... as it's my decision to relocate (not his) and I impose all that on him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well.. so much for the queue.... apparently - since I need two kennels - the first that becomes available they give it to the next in line who needs just one (passing over me)... I only can get two if there's two cancellations at the same time.... speak about jumping queue!!! 

Edited by diba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hear your frustration but is only one kennel of any use to you?  What would you do if a second space never became available? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, BlueRiband said:

I hear your frustration but is only one kennel of any use to you?  What would you do if a second space never became available? 

Since I was before the others, I think at least they should wait a short period of time before giving it right away to someone else. Something reasonable, a couple of weeks (especially if the sail date is far away)... Because then it's practically impossible to get a spot.  What if one becomes available today and right away they give it to next in line (who was after me), and in two/three days another one becomes available, they give it yet to someone else who was after me... blowing all my chances. I don't think it's fair, they should hold for a few days or a couple of weeks, and maybe let the next in line know there's a chance to have the kennel and that they can confirm by x date.

Edited by diba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you are probably going to have to accept that you will have to fly your dogs out. I had to fly two dogs from UK to Dubai and was worried sick as one was elderly and the other terribly noise phobic. They both managed just fine. If they are under a certain size they can travel in the same crate, this is what we did and it certainly helped. It is a long journey, in total 15 hours, with flight time of just over 7, the rest is preparation and paperwork at the airport. The kennels on board QM2 can be noisy, every time someone visits their own dog, it can start the others off barking, my dog would find that far more stressful for 7 days than a 7 hour flight, so maybe flight option is not so bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Bedruthen said:

I think you are probably going to have to accept that you will have to fly your dogs out. I had to fly two dogs from UK to Dubai and was worried sick as one was elderly and the other terribly noise phobic. They both managed just fine. If they are under a certain size they can travel in the same crate, this is what we did and it certainly helped. It is a long journey, in total 15 hours, with flight time of just over 7, the rest is preparation and paperwork at the airport. The kennels on board QM2 can be noisy, every time someone visits their own dog, it can start the others off barking, my dog would find that far more stressful for 7 days than a 7 hour flight, so maybe flight option is not so bad.

Thank you for your message. As stated above, my dog has only one lung. We had to remove one with cancer last month. Also, since his little brother died two years ago, he's become extremely anxious and having anxiety attacks beyond just the separation anxiety. To add insult to injury, My husband separated from me, so moving from the house he grew up in, feel all the emotions of both humans, going into apartment and having to have walks instead of a backyard, seeing sometimes my ex husband sometimes me at home (hard to find pads that accept dogs, ex found one so we alternate when he needs to leave). Now ex prepping to leave for good so feeling HIS emotions.. then in 4-5 weeks me going into that pad... too much for him. His stability is totally off. He's usually a very confident dog but all this above broke him.  Now, whenever we take him with car he has anxiety coz he thinks he's going to go thru all surgery etc... to fly, you can't give anti-anxiety coz risks are huge. Moreover, pet relocator takes him 24 hr before departure (to ensure no meds are given etc), and the flight, etc... he's used to a very stable life... he's now lost and anxious as hell.  I know my pup, he's very likely to just let himself die on a plane after so many hours without seeing me or my ex, and the noise and crate (he's as claustrophobic as me)..... I lost his little bro 2 years back... ex hubby left... I honestly can't lose him... too much for me...

 

On top of all that, my dog needs to travel as manifest cargo, with a crate built for him according to IATA regulations as because just for a couple of inches he surpasses the XL cage in length.  This is why he has to be picked up 24 hr in advance and dropped at cargo 24-36 hr later, then fly, as a package cargo (waybill, custom duties, landing fees, etc.).  Unless drugged (at vet for surgery) he's never since he was a pup been away from us. And even at the vet we used to go visit a couple of times a day and he got to know the hospital. This would be all new without seeing us for a hell of a long time......

 

My situation is particular.

 

I NEED that QM2 crossing.................

Edited by diba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck in getting those kennels. I did the same thing over 30 years ago, taking 2 dogs and 3 cats from South Africa to the UK, but by air. They went ahead and were met by a business which took them into quarantine for 6 months, all of which had to be paid for and since only certain kennels were licensed to do this we couldn't visit that often due to the journey. Thank goodness quarantine is no longer necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bedruthen said:

I think you are probably going to have to accept that you will have to fly your dogs out. I had to fly two dogs from UK to Dubai and was worried sick as one was elderly and the other terribly noise phobic. They both managed just fine. If they are under a certain size they can travel in the same crate, this is what we did and it certainly helped. It is a long journey, in total 15 hours, with flight time of just over 7, the rest is preparation and paperwork at the airport. The kennels on board QM2 can be noisy, every time someone visits their own dog, it can start the others off barking, my dog would find that far more stressful for 7 days than a 7 hour flight, so maybe flight option is not so bad.

Very  valid points.  Three days into my crossing, with four long days still to go, some dogs not eating at all, many with varying degrees of diarrhoea, behavioural problems, several that had almost completely lost their voice due to incessant barking, and the need to keep apart those dogs that weren’t getting on, I began to wonder whether a flight would have been less stressful at least in that it gets the journey done in a single day.

 

Don't be taken in by the Cunard promo which suggests its some sort of health spa for dogs.  It isn’t; it’s a stressful experience for owners and pets alike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...