Cunard-Queen Mary 2-Kennels-Eastbound-Cancellation?

diba

8 hours ago, IB2 said:

Very  valid points.  Three days into my crossing, with four long days still to go, some dogs not eating at all, many with varying degrees of diarrhoea, behavioural problems, several that had almost completely lost their voice due to incessant barking, and the need to keep apart those dogs that weren’t getting on, I began to wonder whether a flight would have been less stressful at least in that it gets the journey done in a single day.

Don't be taken in by the Cunard promo which suggests its some sort of health spa for dogs.  It isn’t; it’s a stressful experience for owners and pets alike.

Oh wow. Yes someone else also told me that some dogs would get some gastro problems.  I believe there are 12 small and 12 big kennels. Usually smaller breeds tend to bark more than bigger breeds.  Not eating at all? Wow... are they giving them gravol-like med by any chance?

Change of food can cause gastro probs. My pup is on strictly vegetarian kibble (yuck, i hate kibble but he's become allergic to meat proteins).  Maybe if one comes prepared with meds for diarrhoea, and very very mild anti-anxiety - maybe natural, it may be a smoother sail?  Or do you think it's due to something else?  My pup had two surgeries, so he's pretty used to being in hospital, in a cage, with other barking dogs. I'm just trying to understand whether it's the actual cruise that's causing the prob (sea air maybe), or whether they're changing their foods, or maybe dogs not used  to kennels... or... why? 

What crossing are you on, may I ask?  Does the ship move a lot (giving sea-sickness) or is it steady?  As a pet parent, why would you think they have these behavioural probs? (Usually pet parents can go see them like 3-4 times a day no?).

Thank you for the information.

Edited by diba

38 minutes ago, diba said:

Oh wow. Yes someone else also told me that some dogs would get some gastro problems.  I believe there are 12 small and 12 big kennels. Usually smaller breeds tend to bark more than bigger breeds.  Not eating at all? Wow... are they giving them gravol-like med by any chance?

Change of food can cause gastro probs. My pup is on strictly vegetarian kibble (yuck, i hate kibble but he's become allergic to meat proteins).  Maybe if one comes prepared with meds for diarrhoea, and very very mild anti-anxiety - maybe natural, it may be a smoother sail?  Or do you think it's due to something else?  My pup had two surgeries, so he's pretty used to being in hospital, in a cage, with other barking dogs. I'm just trying to understand whether it's the actual cruise that's causing the prob (sea air maybe), or whether they're changing their foods, or maybe dogs not used  to kennels... or... why? 

What crossing are you on, may I ask?  Does the ship move a lot (giving sea-sickness) or is it steady?  As a pet parent, why would you think they have these behavioural probs? (Usually pet parents can go see them like 3-4 times a day no?).

Thank you for the information.

Some dogs, including mine, simply don't cope very well with enforced separation from their owners.  I spent all of the eight hours that the kennels are open each day with my dog, but that still meant he was locked away in his cage for the remaining sixteen hours.  The cycle of the kennel opening times meant that I was letting him out then locking him away four times every day.  My dog's digestion was disrupted for most of the crossing but at least he wasn't producing the blood that several of the others were.

Dogs can smell where they are, and know that no land is near.  Hence the final day of the crossing, when land is near, is the most challenging in the kennels.  

My post simply makes the point that suggesting that a flight is traumatic but a QM2 crossing is not isn't really accurate.  A flight is serious trauma for a day; the QM2 is moderate but significant trauma stretched out over the whole week.

That said, there were a few dogs on the crossing who were utterly relaxed and seemed indifferent both to the strange environment and to their owners' comings and goings.  

4 minutes ago, IB2 said:

Some dogs, including mine, simply don't cope very well with enforced separation from their owners.  I spent all of the eight hours that the kennels are open each day with my dog, but that still meant he was locked away in his cage for the remaining sixteen hours.  The cycle of the kennel opening times meant that I was letting him out then locking him away four times every day.  My dog's digestion was disrupted for most of the crossing but at least he wasn't producing the blood that several of the others were.

Dogs can smell where they are, and know that no land is near.  Hence the final day of the crossing, when land is near, is the most challenging in the kennels.  

My post simply makes the point that suggesting that a flight is traumatic but a QM2 crossing is not isn't really accurate.  A flight is serious trauma for a day; the QM2 is moderate but significant trauma stretched out over the whole week.

That said, there were a few dogs on the crossing who were utterly relaxed and seemed indifferent both to the strange environment and to their owners' comings and goings.  

Thank you! 🙂  My dog only having one lung, I would prefer the crossing.  I can give him some light anti-anxiety while on plane we can't since it's risky.  Dogs do feel what their pet parent feel.  Sometimes when he gets a little anxiety attack, I just tell him ''no'' ''relax'' ''go sleep'' or ''lie down'', give him a small petting and act totally natural blocking away any of my feelings.. and after a few mins he relaxes totally.  I did that throughout our move when we sold the house. He could feel the stress between my ex and me (wasn't a nice separation) and he was lost and anxious like crazy. I used this technique totally non-acknowledging his anxiety and acting very natural, and telling him ''no'' firmly, so that he understood that his anxiety was not ok.  It did work.  I'm glad to be taking over his parenthood in 4-5 weeks as I have no idea how his dad is handling his own stress for his own move out of the country (without doggie).  If I have to fly him out, I will use the same technique, and pray a hell of a lot.  Thanks for all the info.

I got my two kennels! 🙂  Thanks for all your input.  I will take some medication with me for my pup for sea sickness as well as some very light anxiety - natural - meds.  I hope I made the right decision.  🙂

1 hour ago, diba said:

I got my two kennels! 🙂  Thanks for all your input.  I will take some medication with me for my pup for sea sickness as well as some very light anxiety - natural - meds.  I hope I made the right decision.  🙂

Congratulations!  Hopefully a happy ending.  You may not need the sickness meds given the ship’s stability and the kennels being well aft, but I’d be tempted to talk to a vet about some anxiety medication; take it even if you don’t actually use it. Consider getting kennel cough vaccine done, if not already. Check whether any of the twelve foods they supply suits, and transition to that food well before the crossing (or, better, since which foods they have seems to be hit and miss, take enough of your own home preferred food for the crossing. Don’t take a lot in excess as you can’t take opened dogfood off the ship).  Plus a week’s supply of favourite treats.  Pack a familiar washable soft toy to keep in the cage, don’t bother packing balls or other play toys as they are discouraged on board as they often cause fights.  Get two dog cloths or blankets and sleep with them yourself for a few days before embarkation for the odour, then put the first inside the cage when you arrive.  That will likely be soiled the first night so you replace with the second the next day, meanwhile you can wash and sleep with the first back in your cabin.  Take something to read (or visit the library on day one), as you’ll be spending a lot of time in that kennel lounge and having something to read will be a break from talking about dog poop with other owners.  Don’t forget warm, wind- and rainproof clothing for yourself, as you have to cross an open deck to reach the kennels and will be out in all weathers waiting for said poop to appear. When you disembark, your dog will be stressed, tired and smelly (don’t bother washing the dog before you embark; a waste of time), and if you are travelling on, plan an early stop for dog food as you won’t have any. Check and double check all the paperwork; any doubts, phone Robert in California for advice. When you board, keep everything for the dog in hand luggage as you’ll drop the dog off before seeing your packed bags.  Take a spare lead in case the one you leave in the kennels cupboard goes walkabout.  I know most people like boarding early, but the later you board with a dog, the better for the dog (also gives extra time for a good morning exercise), as the kennels aren’t a calm environment on embarkation day so you don’t really want to be first in.

Good luck!

Edited by IB2
+

9 hours ago, candle in the wind said:

Well done and wishing you all a good journey. 

Thank you!! 🙂 Just worried about my paperwork now (for my dog) as I'm driving into US from Canada. So papers are Canadians. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, IB2 said:

Congratulations!  Hopefully a happy ending.  You may not need the sickness meds given the ship’s stability and the kennels being well aft, but I’d be tempted to talk to a vet about some anxiety medication; take it even if you don’t actually use it. Consider getting kennel cough vaccine done, if not already. Check whether any of the twelve foods they supply suits, and transition to that food well before the crossing (or, better, since which foods they have seems to be hit and miss, take enough of your own home preferred food for the crossing. Don’t take a lot in excess as you can’t take opened dogfood off the ship).  Plus a week’s supply of favourite treats.  Pack a familiar washable soft toy to keep in the cage, don’t bother packing balls or other play toys as they are discouraged on board as they often cause fights.  Get two dog cloths or blankets and sleep with them yourself for a few days before embarkation for the odour, then put the first inside the cage when you arrive.  That will likely be soiled the first night so you replace with the second the next day, meanwhile you can wash and sleep with the first back in your cabin.  Take something to read (or visit the library on day one), as you’ll be spending a lot of time in that kennel lounge and having something to read will be a break from talking about dog poop with other owners.  Don’t forget warm, wind- and rainproof clothing for yourself, as you have to cross an open deck to reach the kennels and will be out in all weathers waiting for said poop to appear. When you disembark, your dog will be stressed, tired and smelly (don’t bother washing the dog before you embark; a waste of time), and if you are travelling on, plan an early stop for dog food as you won’t have any. Check and double check all the paperwork; any doubts, phone Robert in California for advice. When you board, keep everything for the dog in hand luggage as you’ll drop the dog off before seeing your packed bags.  Take a spare lead in case the one you leave in the kennels cupboard goes walkabout.  I know most people like boarding early, but the later you board with a dog, the better for the dog (also gives extra time for a good morning exercise), as the kennels aren’t a calm environment on embarkation day so you don’t really want to be first in.

Good luck!

Thank you. Yes, first rabies to ensure registered with ISO microchip number (recently inserted), then the rest of boosters. Then tapeworm 1-5 days before getting on ship. Luckily my vet does agree with me about vaccines without or lest amount mercury.... We'll be going around Europe and probably Turkey, so even though I don't like it that much, I need him to be protected with the least damage-causing vaccines.  Working on documentation now. Anyway, he can only have Purina vegetarian hydrolized kibble (yuck!! my dogs in Italy never ate any kibble)...so I'm planning that for the journey and the rest of the time I'll be there. Thanks sooo much for the tips...really.. THANK YOU... They're very useful. Never been on a cruise before. I'll update once on the other side of the Atlantic. 

Edited by diba
  • Like 1

Hi Diba, which cruise are you on? I just switched our pup to an upper kennel on M013 (May 13) so someone with a big dog could have a lower. Was that you? The kennel master did make it sound urgent.  I agree it’s been stressful getting a kennel. I rolled through 4 reservations and didn’t come off the wait list before I locked on this one. Our dog has a flat nose so can’t fly. Airlines won’t take those breeds. But after the above descriptions, I’m worried. She is with us 24/7 at home and is not happy in her crate. 16 hrs/day locked up? I didn’t know it would be that bad. But we have no options, so off we go. Will I see you on this voyage? We’re also coming from Canada. Driving 4000 km to get her to this ship!

Edited by Vogatrice
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Vogatrice said:

Hi Diba, which cruise are you on? I just switched our pup to an upper kennel on M013 (May 13) so someone with a big dog could have a lower. Was that you? The kennel master did make it sound urgent.  I agree it’s been stressful getting a kennel. I rolled through 4 reservations and didn’t come off the wait list before I locked on this one. Our dog has a flat nose so can’t fly. Airlines won’t take those breeds. But after the above descriptions, I’m worried. She is with us 24/7 at home and is not happy in her crate. 16 hrs/day locked up? I didn’t know it would be that bad. But we have no options, so off we go. Will I see you on this voyage? We’re also coming from Canada. Driving 4000 km to get her to this ship!

Hi!! Yes, I'm on this coming May 13th as well!! 2 lower kennels. I was next in line waiting.  Yes, we'll see each other on this trip. 🙂 Where are you driving from? Where are you doing your pup's paperwork and tapeworm? I'm driving down from Montreal to NY one day before to ensure no hiccup with the paperwork. I believe the cruise accepts Canadian Health Certificate, but I need to check USDA & AHPI(smthing like that) to make sure I don'T need other export docs, since we're coming in from Canada, then exiting from US... I know I'm a worrier...  I totally understand you... maybe she'll be ok with other doggies there... can you start training her to sleep alone so that it won't be a great shock to her?  my pup lives in a quiet area, so NY is going to be something for him.  I'm starting as of February to take him to busy places, so he gets used to busy Europe, even though the final destination will be outside the city.  Lots of trains to take so, don't want him to shock him.  Where are you going after Southampton? p.s. I did get my kennels on Jan. 13th. (last day people were canceling - or was it Jan14th? One of these two days)

Edited by diba

Great, looking forward to meeting you. We are moving to Abruzzo, so we have another 2000 km drive ahead of us from Calais. I am about to book pet transport through the tunnel, have you already booked yours? Debating whether to stay in England a few days to let her recover. Since we arrive so early in the morning, I’d rather get on across the channel on arrival day and let her recover on the other side. What are your thoughts on this?

After driving from Calgary, we are staying with a friend in Delaware for a few days and she is organizing finding us a USDA approved vet for the tapeworm treatment and paperwork sign-off. Also leaving our car with her for my sister to pick up later, and my friend will drive us to Brooklyn on departure day. These logistics are complicated, but we’re not going without our pup!

good idea to get her used to sleeping alone. Locked in a crate is another story though. She hates it.

Edited by Vogatrice

46 minutes ago, Vogatrice said:

The kennel routine is open each day between 8am until 12am, 3pm until 6pm, and 7.30 to 8.30pm.  Most owners stay with their pets when the kennels are open.  They are nevertheless locked away for nearly twelve hours each night - on the westbound crossing this becomes thirteen hours as the five daily time changes happen at night (on the eastbound they happen at lunchtime so the lunchbreak reduces to two hours).  Overnight accidents were fairly common, especially on the westbound, although most dogs improved as the crossing proceeded.

23 minutes ago, Vogatrice said:

Great, looking forward to meeting you. We are moving to Abruzzo, so we have another 2000 km drive ahead of us from Calais. I am about to book pet transport through the tunnel, have you already booked yours? Debating whether to stay in England a few days to let her recover. Since we arrive so early in the morning, I’d rather get on across the channel on arrival day and let her recover on the other side. What are your thoughts on this?

After driving from Calgary, we are staying with a friend in Delaware for a few days and she is organizing finding us a USDA approved vet for the tapeworm treatment and paperwork sign-off. Also leaving our car with her for my sister to pick up later, and my friend will drive us to Brooklyn on departure day. These logistics are complicated, but we’re not going without our pup!

good idea to get her used to sleeping alone. Locked in a crate is another story though. She hates it.

On Eurotunnel it’s pretty easy, especially southbound as the major checks are northbound due to the UK tapeworm requirements.  Nevertheless they charge an extra £20 each way for a dog!  Your pet will be very pleased to be off the ship, even if you go straight into a drive, but personally I’d prefer spending at least a day or two with some rest time and to allow his/her eating and toilet habits to settle before travelling on, if possible.

Before my first crossing I confined my dog to his crate for a few nights before we left, thinking it would lessen the shock.  He was used to it from sleeping overnight there as a puppy, but he didn’t enjoy it.  I am not convinced it helped at all on the boat, as it’s the separation and general environment that is challenging for him, rather than being in a cage per se.

IB2, thank you very much fir the detailed information. It’s very helpful and calming. She will just have to endure it, as it’s the only way to get her there, and I will try not to worry too much. Good advice to stay in England a few days, though I’m sure we will be anxious to get to our new home after a month on the road.

12 minutes ago, Vogatrice said:

Another question for those who have experienced this. Did you pet seem to have any long-term effects or behaviour changes after the voyage?

Not that I noticed.  After the whole trip he is better around people than he was, but that might also be due to turning two.

DIGITAL_6047_ON(96626_231228)_Digital_1(1)_N(I Bond)_PN(006DaKennelsAH_0192.jpg).jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vogatrice said:

Ohhh. fellow Italian? I'm going to Gavi (just north of Genoa).  Yes, been going nuts with transport to Calais. No ''on foot'' passenger to cross with ferry or Eurotunnel.  Just got an email this morn from Folkestone Taxi for pick-up in Southampton to Calais 340 pounds + 82 pounds for the Eurotunnel ticket which "can vary due to availability".  Been checking the trains as well but from London to Paris there's the Eurostar (no pets allowed).  From Calais it's easy, get the train to Paris (a couple of hours) then the TGV direct to Lyon, Turin for an affordable price and for 5h20, which is acceptable.  I've been wondering the same - whether to rest in Soutampton or in Calais), but having limited funds and being the British pound so expensive vis-à-vis our Canadian dollar... I'd rather go to Calais same day.  We get into Southampton at 7 am so plenty of time and just a couple of hours to the Tunnel, then 35 mins....  If you'd like to use Folkestone Taxi, I can ask and we could share the cost if you'd like, it may be advantageous..... 🙂

4 hours ago, IB2 said:

Not that I noticed.  After the whole trip he is better around people than he was, but that might also be due to turning two.

DIGITAL_6047_ON(96626_231228)_Digital_1(1)_N(I Bond)_PN(006DaKennelsAH_0192.jpg).jpg

Ohhh nice picture!!! So there's a wider area besides the corridor-like portion I see on youtube videos? With all the ''paparazzis'' I see I wonder if shy dogs will get to have their ''privacy'' doing their business... my boy is very private...LOL

5 hours ago, IB2 said:

On Eurotunnel it’s pretty easy, especially southbound as the major checks are northbound due to the UK tapeworm requirements.  Nevertheless they charge an extra £20 each way for a dog!  Your pet will be very pleased to be off the ship, even if you go straight into a drive, but personally I’d prefer spending at least a day or two with some rest time and to allow his/her eating and toilet habits to settle before travelling on, if possible.

Before my first crossing I confined my dog to his crate for a few nights before we left, thinking it would lessen the shock.  He was used to it from sleeping overnight there as a puppy, but he didn’t enjoy it.  I am not convinced it helped at all on the boat, as it’s the separation and general environment that is challenging for him, rather than being in a cage per se.

The Eurotunnel needs a car though, right?  You can't be ''on foot'' with a dog....

5 hours ago, IB2 said:

The kennel routine is open each day between 8am until 12am, 3pm until 6pm, and 7.30 to 8.30pm.  Most owners stay with their pets when the kennels are open.  They are nevertheless locked away for nearly twelve hours each night - on the westbound crossing this becomes thirteen hours as the five daily time changes happen at night (on the eastbound they happen at lunchtime so the lunchbreak reduces to two hours).  Overnight accidents were fairly common, especially on the westbound, although most dogs improved as the crossing proceeded.

Thank you.  My boy can hold himself.  Do we get to feed our dogs?  Mine can only have a certain kind of food so prefer to feed him myself....(I wrote that on the docs sent)

33 minutes ago, diba said:

Ohhh. fellow Italian? I'm going to Gavi (just north of Genoa).  Yes, been going nuts with transport to Calais. No ''on foot'' passenger to cross with ferry or Eurotunnel.  Just got an email this morn from Folkestone Taxi for pick-up in Southampton to Calais 340 pounds + 82 pounds for the Eurotunnel ticket which "can vary due to availability".  Been checking the trains as well but from London to Paris there's the Eurostar (no pets allowed).  From Calais it's easy, get the train to Paris (a couple of hours) then the TGV direct to Lyon, Turin for an affordable price and for 5h20, which is acceptable.  I've been wondering the same - whether to rest in Soutampton or in Calais), but having limited funds and being the British pound so expensive vis-à-vis our Canadian dollar... I'd rather go to Calais same day.  We get into Southampton at 7 am so plenty of time and just a couple of hours to the Tunnel, then 35 mins....  If you'd like to use Folkestone Taxi, I can ask and we could share the cost if you'd like, it may be advantageous..... 🙂

You are right that if you aren’t taking a car across, the options are more limited.  Bizarrely some of the ferries that accept pets on board out of cars won’t take them from foot passengers.  The taxi service through Eurotunnel is expensive; I am told it is possible to arrange a cheaper crossing using a ‘share a ride’ website, hoping to hitch a lift with someone crossing anyway, but have no experience to share.  The best way into Europe with a dog but no car is by the Stena line Harwich to Hook of Holland, but this does involve another kennel stay.  The kennel is unmanned but there is CCTV so you can watch your dog from your cabin, and you can visit and let the dog out onto a very small deck area at any time.  Taking the overnight service gets you to Holland very early and there are great train connections from there or alternatively car hire options.  Twice I’ve made the trip to Italy with my dog, with one overnight on the ferry and then a second in Munich, where there is a dog friendly hotel right next to the station.  The German high speed trains are excellent, you normally get a change somewhere in mid Germany for a toilet break.  With a dog it’s best to pre-reserve seats and pick either a single or double airline style seat; the table facing seats don’t really work out well with a dog.

Edited by IB2

36 minutes ago, diba said:

Thank you.  My boy can hold himself.  Do we get to feed our dogs?  Mine can only have a certain kind of food so prefer to feed him myself....(I wrote that on the docs sent)

So can mine, although he failed twice on the westbound due to stress.

The kennel master (Oliver) prepares the food, and you can either choose from the list of twelve pretty good kibble-type foods they claim to stock, or take your own which Oliver will keep in the kennels for you.  If you are there at feeding times (twice daily, at kennel opening and at 5pm) then you can feed them yourself.  Note that you can’t take any dogfood off the ship so only bring enough to cover the seven days on board.

Edited by IB2
+