Cunard-Queen Mary 2-Kennels-Eastbound-Cancellation?

diba

40 minutes ago, diba said:

The Eurotunnel needs a car though, right?  You can't be ''on foot'' with a dog....

Indeed.  Without a car, your choice is the expensive taxi service, taking your chances with arranging a ride share with someone travelling anyway (there are websites for this), or using the alternative Harwich to Holland ferry as above.

53 minutes ago, diba said:

Ohhh nice picture!!! So there's a wider area besides the corridor-like portion I see on youtube videos? With all the ''paparazzis'' I see I wonder if shy dogs will get to have their ''privacy'' doing their business... my boy is very private...LOL

You only get let out of the narrow, dedicated dog deck for the photo shoot, which takes place lunchtime on the second full day before disembarkation (subject to weather).  At all other times you are restricted to the private dog deck, or, because it’s often windy and wet out there, to the two indoor kennel rooms.  You’ll probably spend most of the crossing sitting in one of these rooms with wind and rain outside and 18 to 20 stressed out dogs roving around the constrained floor space inside the kennels.  Take a good book. For pooping the dogs use the open deck - the kennel staff do the clearing up, and at kennel opening times they are kept fairly busy.  If you want privacy, go right around the deck to the far end where s/he can poop in peace.  Although given the confinement periods getting the dogs to poop when they are finally let free isn’t usually a problem.

p.s. Re. “paparazzis” one problem is that other guests are exceptionally keen to see the dogs.  Normally they just hang around the gate area (or peer in through the window) and it’s up to owners whether they wish to talk to them or not, but on both of my crossings we had incidents of other passengers entering the kennel area and trying to take photos, which is strictly against the rules.  Oliver does his best to keep people away but it isn’t always easy.

Edited by IB2
+

31 minutes ago, IB2 said:

You only get let out of the narrow, dedicated dog deck for the photo shoot, which takes place lunchtime on the second full day before disembarkation (subject to weather).  At all other times you are restricted to the private dog deck, or, because it’s often windy and wet out there, to the two indoor kennel rooms.  You’ll probably spend most of the crossing sitting in one of these rooms with wind and rain outside and 18 to 20 stressed out dogs roving around the constrained floor space inside the kennels.  Take a good book. For pooping the dogs use the open deck - the kennel staff do the clearing up, and at kennel opening times they are kept fairly busy.  If you want privacy, go right around the deck to the far end where s/he can poop in peace.  Although given the confinement periods getting the dogs to poop when they are finally let free isn’t usually a problem.

p.s. Re. “paparazzis” one problem is that other guests are exceptionally keen to see the dogs.  Normally they just hang around the gate area (or peer in through the window) and it’s up to owners whether they wish to talk to them or not, but on both of my crossings we had incidents of other passengers entering the kennel area and trying to take photos, which is strictly against the rules.  Oliver does his best to keep people away but it isn’t always easy.

Thanks for all this info!! :-). so they do get the big square area we see in the picture. I’ll be close to my pup the whole time as he usually does well with other dogs but given the circumstances I dont want any accidents. Yes he can only have vegetarian hydrolized kibble which i’ll bring. It’s prescription food. I was told if one of the two bags I want to bring is not opened and still sealed as per manufacturer, I should be able to take it off the ship. But not the open bag... 

5 minutes ago, diba said:

Thanks for all this info!! :-). so they do get the big square area we see in the picture. I’ll be close to my pup the whole time as he usually does well with other dogs but given the circumstances I dont want any accidents. Yes he can only have vegetarian hydrolized kibble which i’ll bring. It’s prescription food. I was told if one of the two bags I want to bring is not opened and still sealed as per manufacturer, I should be able to take it off the ship. But not the open bag... 

The open (‘big square’) deck is off limits, except during the photo shoot which takes 45 minutes or so.  Otherwise they are confined to the narrow dog deck outside the kennels.

The rules for importing processes foodstuffs, opened or unopened, into both the UK and US are very restrictive, and you will need to check the relevant websites for detailed advice.  That said, on neither of my crossings were there any checks or was I ever asked to declare what I had in my luggage.  That also said, Oliver will be able to tell you the story of a passenger who did try to take dogfood into the US with their luggage and was discovered and arrested.  Do you own research, as the saying goes....

97C8DFF1-E722-4E20-877A-2F3080E1A4A5.jpeg

Edited by IB2

Wow great pic IB2 and more very reassuring information, thanks again. I think we'll all be fine. Our pup is a healthy 3 year old and very social. She will not like getting put in the kennel, but it won’t kill her. 

Diba, I would be delighted to share transport. to France. I have quotes from both Folkestone Taxi and Paws Pettravel. I preferred Paws because she was friendlier and more prompt to respond. I need to ask for new quotes, as I initially asked to go straight to the TGV station at Lille. Now we need to go just to the Calais ferry station. We’ve decided to drive instead, as we need a car at the other end for a few months anyway and I just thought with more luggage than usual plus the dog, I didn’t really want to deal with train changes. So we pick up the leased car at Calais, which should be a cheaper van trip.

Siamo finti italiani...no Italian heritage but we intend to stay indefinitely. We've bought a house and will have extended residence visas. I expect we will share stories on-board...our story has some bad stuff too, but we’re looking forward to a fresh start. And this last week of deep freeze in Calgary has us more than ready for a change in weather.

IB2: if we are not at the kennel right on time, will staff let her out? Or does she have to be in the kennel every minute we’re not there? Of course we will be there as much as possible, but my mind won’t switch off worrying about the lock-up. I need to relax!

3 hours ago, IB2 said:

The open (‘big square’) deck is off limits, except during the photo shoot which takes 45 minutes or so.  Otherwise they are confined to the narrow dog deck outside the kennels.

The rules for importing processes foodstuffs, opened or unopened, into both the UK and US are very restrictive, and you will need to check the relevant websites for detailed advice.  That said, on neither of my crossings were there any checks or was I ever asked to declare what I had in my luggage.  That also said, Oliver will be able to tell you the story of a passenger who did try to take dogfood into the US with their luggage and was discovered and arrested.  Do you own research, as the saying goes....

97C8DFF1-E722-4E20-877A-2F3080E1A4A5.jpeg

Arrested?????????????????????????????????????  Oh my!!!! Thanks for telling me this!! I mean, did they at least ask him if he had any food before arresting him/her?  I'm telling you I'm terrified of US. I'll muzzle my dog before the border, all throughout the journey in public or in the car....will only let him loose in the hotel room.   I'll ask my vet then to give me the prescription and will call border and USDA to make sure.  I mean, it's from US his food anyway (Purina HA Hydrolized Vegeterian stuff)... uff.. scary stuff.  I'll also write to DENFRA to make sure. I don't want any hiccups or problems (although who knows who may be at the border that date and time).  Thanks for the heads-up. Adding all this to my "to-do list''

29 minutes ago, Vogatrice said:

Wow great pic IB2 and more very reassuring information, thanks again. I think we'll all be fine. Our pup is a healthy 3 year old and very social. She will not like getting put in the kennel, but it won’t kill her. 

Diba, I would be delighted to share transport. to France. I have quotes from both Folkestone Taxi and Paws Pettravel. I preferred Paws because she was friendlier and more prompt to respond. I need to ask for new quotes, as I initially asked to go straight to the TGV station at Lille. Now we need to go just to the Calais ferry station. We’ve decided to drive instead, as we need a car at the other end for a few months anyway and I just thought with more luggage than usual plus the dog, I didn’t really want to deal with train changes. So we pick up the leased car at Calais, which should be a cheaper van trip.

Siamo finti italiani...no Italian heritage but we intend to stay indefinitely. We've bought a house and will have extended residence visas. I expect we will share stories on-board...our story has some bad stuff too, but we’re looking forward to a fresh start. And this last week of deep freeze in Calgary has us more than ready for a change in weather.

Thanks!! That would really help if we could share the transport.  Did Folkestone quote same as what they quoted me? I found that a bit steep.  I never heard of Paws Pettravel. To me Calais or Lille is all good. My boy is big though, like a big lab. It would be fantastic to share that part since it's the most difficult leg.  TGV is pet friendly so from Calais (or Lille) we'll be fine.  Yes, I'm filing for extended as well but I do have Italian heritage.  I also want to go to Turkey... need beach. Here in Montreal today it's minus a thousand!! Let me know your findings, Foldstone quoted 340 + 82 (from Southampton to Calais).  That's CAD$720... it's quite steep...

Too true, Diba. I’ve been focused only on the ship travel and England/Europe travel. Haven’t spent much energy on the getting from Canada to US part yet other than car export papers since I’m leaving it in the US. There are plenty of recent stories about Canadians getting turned back for no good reason. More work to do...

1 minute ago, Vogatrice said:

Too true, Diba. I’ve been focused only on the ship travel and England/Europe travel. Haven’t spent much energy on the getting from Canada to US part yet other than car export papers since I’m leaving it in the US. There are plenty of recent stories about Canadians getting turned back for no good reason. More work to do...

We can both ask on our own and then share info and see if it coincides. But we're going in from different borders so borders too have their say. If you look into animal importation you need to see the USDA, the APHIS, CDC, Border "may have their requirements" and each state as well....

Yes the prices are outrageous, because options are limited. I decided not to worry about that cost because with 3 of us and the dog and the luggage, there is no way I’ll find a car share. 

Did you see that from Lille you can go to Lyon without going through Paris? I found that idea very appealing. Changing stations in Paris is hard enough without a dog and extra luggage.

I'll send you updated quotes when I get them. I will ask about a price for 4 people and 2 dogs as well to see if it helps.

7 minutes ago, Vogatrice said:

Yes the prices are outrageous, because options are limited. I decided not to worry about that cost because with 3 of us and the dog and the luggage, there is no way I’ll find a car share. 

Did you see that from Lille you can go to Lyon without going through Paris? I found that idea very appealing. Changing stations in Paris is hard enough without a dog and extra luggage.

I'll send you updated quotes when I get them. I will ask about a price for 4 people and 2 dogs as well to see if it helps.

Sounds good. I have no luggage, just a mini one since I'm travelling solo with dog, didn't want to overwhelm me... USDA doesn't answer phone they say best way is through email exportny@usda.gov

6 hours ago, IB2 said:

Indeed.  Without a car, your choice is the expensive taxi service, taking your chances with arranging a ride share with someone travelling anyway (there are websites for this), or using the alternative Harwich to Holland ferry as above.

Thanks IB2... Harwich is a bit far from Southampton so even getting there would cost a bit... doomed if you do, doomed if you don't I see.. Wow quite a few challenges. Thank you for your input! 🙂 

6 hours ago, IB2 said:

Re: Paparazzis: I'll charge them US$5 per picture of my pup.. so then I can better afford the taxi to calais!! LOOOOLLLLLLL

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vogatrice said:

IB2: if we are not at the kennel right on time, will staff let her out? Or does she have to be in the kennel every minute we’re not there? Of course we will be there as much as possible, but my mind won’t switch off worrying about the lock-up. I need to relax!

Mostly, the owners are there when the kennels are open.  If an owner has a commitment and cant make a session, Oliver or John will make sure that the dog gets let out for some exercise (on lead) and a chance to go to the toilet - but both of them are busy looking after the kennels and can't spend more than ten minutes or so with any individual dog.  So if you don't turn up, your dog will mostly be locked in its kennel, barking away and annoying all the other owners.  Everyone understands that people cant always be there every minute of the day, but it's fair to say that the less conscientious owners are noticed - and muttered about by everyone else.

3 hours ago, diba said:

Arrested?????????????????????????????????????  Oh my!!!! Thanks for telling me this!! I mean, did they at least ask him if he had any food before arresting him/her?  I'm telling you I'm terrified of US. I'll muzzle my dog before the border, all throughout the journey in public or in the car....will only let him loose in the hotel room.   I'll ask my vet then to give me the prescription and will call border and USDA to make sure.  I mean, it's from US his food anyway (Purina HA Hydrolized Vegeterian stuff)... uff.. scary stuff.  I'll also write to DENFRA to make sure. I don't want any hiccups or problems (although who knows who may be at the border that date and time).  Thanks for the heads-up. Adding all this to my "to-do list''

Eastbound it will be UK customs that you'll be worrying about. The formal requirements are spelled out on the relevant customs Gov.uk website.  Obviously I can only  advise you to follow the rules.

49 minutes ago, diba said:

Thanks IB2... Harwich is a bit far from Southampton so even getting there would cost a bit... doomed if you do, doomed if you don't I see.. Wow quite a few challenges. Thank you for your input! 🙂 

Actually it would work out OK.  Disembark morning Southampton, go by train to London arriving lunchtime.  Depending on the weather and your luggage, hang out in a London park or pub for the afternoon, take the evening train from Liverpool Street, arrive Harwich International mid evening, drop the dog in the kennels, enjoy dinner in the restaurant and a sleep in your cabin.  Up early the next morning to let the dog out, disembark and there's a tram right there to take you to Schiedamm station, from where connections via Rotterdam and/or Utrecht will get you through to south Germany mid-afternoon, or further if you are willing to travel on to the evening.  The London to Harwich train fare plus the ferry and cabin will probably add up to a similar cost to the Folkestone taxi service, but it's still a great way to go.

Edit/ for full advice on travelling by train in Europe, including with dogs (there's a separate page - search "dogs"), and including all the cross-channel options, check out www.seat61.com

Edited by IB2
+

33 minutes ago, IB2 said:

Actually it would work out OK.  Disembark morning Southampton, go by train to London arriving lunchtime.  Depending on the weather and your luggage, hang out in a London park or pub for the afternoon, take the evening train from Liverpool Street, arrive Harwich International mid evening, drop the dog in the kennels, enjoy dinner in the restaurant and a sleep in your cabin.  Up early the next morning to let the dog out, disembark and there's a tram right there to take you to Schiedamm station, from where connections via Rotterdam and/or Utrecht will get you through to south Germany mid-afternoon, or further if you are willing to travel on to the evening.  The London to Harwich train fare plus the ferry and cabin will probably add up to a similar cost to the Folkestone taxi service, but it's still a great way to go.

Edit/ for full advice on travelling by train in Europe, including with dogs (there's a separate page - search "dogs"), and including all the cross-channel options, check out www.seat61.com

p.s. the rail cost shouldn’t be a problem as the Stena ‘Rail and sail’ promotional fares cover the ferry crossing, travel from any UK station (so for example you could pick Southampton) and to any Dutch station on arrival.  The only additional cost would be the tube or bus fare from Waterloo to Liverpool Street via wherever you spend the afternoon.  The rail/sail offer is very likely cheaper than London-Folkestone as far as the UK rail leg is concerned.

47 minutes ago, IB2 said:

Eastbound it will be UK customs that you'll be worrying about. The formal requirements are spelled out on the relevant customs Gov.uk website.  Obviously I can only  advise you to follow the rules.

Ok... Thanks. I will have to get into US from Canada with food but I will tell them upfront right away.. just in case!! 

9 minutes ago, IB2 said:

p.s. the rail cost shouldn’t be a problem as the Stena ‘Rail and sail’ promotional fares cover the ferry crossing, travel from any UK station (so for example you could pick Southampton) and to any Dutch station on arrival.  The only additional cost would be the tube or bus fare from Waterloo to Liverpool Street via wherever you spend the afternoon.  The rail/sail offer is very likely cheaper than London-Folkestone as far as the UK rail leg is concerned.

Thanks. But I would have extra expenses on food, water, wondering around.. my dog is big, not small and not used to busy street. Where we live it's quiet. I could never get into the tube with him. I remember when I used to go to London from boarding school of Felixstowe I'd get lost.  It's a bit complicated for me. British pound is prohibitely more expensive in the exchange rates... I'll explore different options in trying not to foot a 400 pound bill... I'll see if there's a train to go to Folkestone and take the pet taxi just to cross the channel. :-)

1 minute ago, diba said:

Thanks. But I would have extra expenses on food, water, wondering around.. my dog is big, not small and not used to busy street. Where we live it's quiet. I could never get into the tube with him. I remember when I used to go to London from boarding school of Felixstowe I'd get lost.  It's a bit complicated for me. British pound is prohibitely more expensive in the exchange rates... I'll explore different options in trying not to foot a 400 pound bill... I'll see if there's a train to go to Folkestone and take the pet taxi just to cross the channel. 🙂

Lol at your comment on the exchange rates!  The £ has collapsed ever since the Brexit vote and is still at rock bottom, very cheap for visitors compared to its usual level.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IB2 said:

Lol at your comment on the exchange rates!  The £ has collapsed ever since the Brexit vote and is still at rock bottom, very cheap for visitors compared to its usual level.

I'm with the Canadian dollar... every time I try to explain in Italy to my friends that we earn CAD$ and not US$ they just don't get it.. they think we're millionnaires.. LOL  400 pounds for me is $CAD720... that's practically rent of an apartment (not downtown).

Hello all,

I have been following this thread with interest as I am a veterinarian. I will be on the May 13th voyage as well.  I worry so about the dogs during the trip with no access to veterinary care for 7 days if an emergency arises. (I am an emergency vet and am programmed to be prepared for worst case scenarios). I would hate for something serious happen, and I not be able to at least offer advice. I am obviously taking this trip as an escape from work, but I am offering my services if any major issues arise during the trip - more than the expected GI upset, etc.  Hopefully, I will only meet your precious cargos as a member of the paparazzi

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mt32 said:

Hello all,

I have been following this thread with interest as I am a veterinarian. I will be on the May 13th voyage as well.  I worry so about the dogs during the trip with no access to veterinary care for 7 days if an emergency arises. (I am an emergency vet and am programmed to be prepared for worst case scenarios). I would hate for something serious happen, and I not be able to at least offer advice. I am obviously taking this trip as an escape from work, but I am offering my services if any major issues arise during the trip - more than the expected GI upset, etc.  Hopefully, I will only meet your precious cargos as a member of the paparazzi

Oh wow interesting!!! Thanks for letting us know! 🙂 I'll be asking my vet for a ''first aid kit'' to bring with me just in case.  But it's nice to know there will be a fully licensed vet on board. Would love to chat once on board.