Wine Tasting - when?

Lolou127

Hang on as I've not been told which sailing you're on I'll have to go and dig out my crystal ball...

In all seriousness you'll need to consult your cruise planner or call Celebrity direct to have a sporting chance of being given a a date and time. 

16 minutes ago, Lolou127 said:

Thanks both, sorry should’ve said first time cruisers with X so wasn’t sure what to expect when going through checkout, I sort of expected a time/date to appear and it didn’t hence the question x

Take a look at your cruise planner once you've signed in to the Celebrity website. As Wine-O says it's highly unlikely to be held whilst in port. They want to sell maximum places on it after all. Enjoy it. We did. :) 

It won’t be scheduled while the ship is in port.  Doubt that calling would result in reliable information as these events are normally scheduled by the ship. When you are on the ship ask the Sommlier in your dining room who can give you the schedule of all the various wine tasting events.

We were on a wine tasting on Equinox recently. Though it was a good hour it was not at all as expected. We had thought it would be more like a wine class where you’ll all be sitting and a sommelier would tell you about the wines and different tastes and aromas and comparing the different wines.

Instead it was an hour where you were invited to mingle around and drink wine. 6 different stations where they poured you wine.

As I said, a good hour but not a place to learn. As we had the premium drink package we could just as well have ordered ourselves a few glasses at any bar. 

5 hours ago, Lolou127 said:

I’m about to reserve one of the onboard wine tasting experiences, how/when will I know when it’s going to take place? I just want to make sure I don’t end up with it clashing with a shore excursion 

It is held late morning on a sea day.

3 hours ago, Jorg_ said:

We were on a wine tasting on Equinox recently. Though it was a good hour it was not at all as expected. We had thought it would be more like a wine class where you’ll all be sitting and a sommelier would tell you about the wines and different tastes and aromas and comparing the different wines.

Instead it was an hour where you were invited to mingle around and drink wine. 6 different stations where they poured you wine.

As I said, a good hour but not a place to learn. As we had the premium drink package we could just as well have ordered ourselves a few glasses at any bar. 

You attended the "Around The World" wine tasting.  It's strictly a tasting of wines from different parts of the world  with some munchies.  They offer different wine events like you are expecting.  You just have to get the list of events when you get on board as each ship handles tastings differently.  🍷

6 hours ago, Lolou127 said:

I’m about to reserve one of the onboard wine tasting experiences, how/when will I know when it’s going to take place? I just want to make sure I don’t end up with it clashing with a shore excursion 

Its usually toward the end of a cruise on a sea day but I would not worry about missing out as they're always around trying to sell it to you. I've never done one in the a.m. usually held two to three in the afternoon.  I book once onboard. 

5 hours ago, Jorg_ said:

I think people need to set their expectations.  For the price, what they do is reasonable.  If there was a sommelier, I would expect to pay a bit more.

I went back to my folder.  We had ours at 11 am prior to arriving in San Juan  that  same day.  It went for 45 minutes and it was an educational program with wine tasting.  Types of wines were discussed, differences between them, etc.  No bread sticks this time....

59 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I think people need to set their expectations.  For the price, what they do is reasonable.  If there was a sommelier, I would expect to pay a bit more.

I used to enjoy them at the beginning. Not so much anymore.  Now with having premium package as a perk I dont feel the need to attend.  Plus they're not really sommeliers they just learn about wines a lot of their knowledge comes from the guests. 

Wait until you get on board to book it.   Then book it with someone that will be serving you during the cruise as they receive a “commission”.   From our experience by doing that they will go the extra mile for you.

Don’t worry about it being booked up.  It isn’t that popular as once is enough and a lot of Captain Club members have a free workshop and there again once or twice is enough.  

The Riedel is basically a infomercial that you pay to attend.  It is a marketing ploy to convince you that wine will taste better in their glasses.   it has some validity as beer always taste better out of the big red pastic cup.  😚🤗🙄 

Power of suggestion.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

14 minutes ago, miched said:

Wait until you get on board to book it.   Then book it with someone that will be serving you during the cruise as they receive a “commission”.   From our experience by doing that they will go the extra mile for you.

Don’t worry about it being booked up.  It isn’t that popular as once is enough and a lot of Captain Club members have a free workshop and there again once or twice is enough.  

The Riedel is basically a infomercial that you pay to attend.  It is a marketing ploy to convince you that wine will taste better in their glasses.   it has some validity as beer always taste better out of the big red pastic cup.  😚🤗🙄 

Power of suggestion.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Don't listen to this very bad advice.  Beer obviously tastes better when served out of a Reidel wine glass.  Duh.

Lol

1 hour ago, miched said:

Power of suggestion.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Its mind over matter however I do enjoy my  Reidel glasses that I bought at the workshop over 6 years ago. To buy the set locally at the time was $150 and it was a fun event.  

38 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Its mind over matter however I do enjoy my  Reidel glasses that I bought at the workshop over 6 years ago. To buy the set locally at the time was $150 and it was a fun event.  

There are different qualities of Reidel glasses.  I was at a high end wine shop and they had Reidel glasses for $5 each.  I asked and was told they are bar quality.  If you look on their site you will see that those sold on X are exclusive for that workshop. 

You can find them at Target, Williams and Sonoma, Bed Bath and Beyond, Etc and  they are different series, grades, or quality. 

For me I find the best way to drink wine is out of the bottle that in is a brown paper bag while cruising around the city during a nice summer night 🤗

Something else to consider is tasting is different than drinking.  It applies to wine, bourbon and etc.    different glasses are used.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅 

18 minutes ago, miched said:

For me I find the best way to drink wine is out of the bottle that in is a brown paper bag while cruising around the city during a nice summer night 🤗

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅 

Thanks!  Just the laugh I needed tonight 🤣🤣

11 hours ago, miched said:

There are different qualities of Reidel glasses.  I was at a high end wine shop and they had Reidel glasses for $5 each.  I asked and was told they are bar quality.  If you look on their site you will see that those sold on X are exclusive for that workshop. 

You can find them at Target, Williams and Sonoma, Bed Bath and Beyond, Etc and  they are different series, grades, or quality. 

Something else to consider is tasting is different than drinking.  It applies to wine, bourbon and etc.    different glasses are used.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅 

The Reidel tasting set on X are the Vinum glasses. A chardonnay Bordeaux riesling and a Cabernet. In 2013 I paid $62 for the tasting and workshop. Still use the glasses although I just broke one last week.

On 11/23/2019 at 11:17 AM, Jorg_ said:

They have multiple wine tastings. The one I went to was on a sea day at Blu, which included small bites for pairing with the wine. No walking around required.

1 hour ago, GateGuardian said:

They have multiple wine tastings. The one I went to was on a sea day at Blu, which included small bites for pairing with the wine. No walking around required.

Do you remember the name, and the price?

46 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Do you remember the name, and the price?

I think it is called “around the world wine tasting“ and is about $40 to $60 pp.   reading the reviews  you mingle around the area tasting/drinking various wines.   It is a combo social wine drinking event with no limit on the wine.  

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

31 minutes ago, miched said:

I think it is called “around the world wine tasting“ and is about $40 to $60 pp.   reading the reviews  you mingle around the area tasting/drinking various wines.   It is a combo social wine drinking event with no limit on the wine.  

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

It's not that expensive. Used to be $23 in March when I last did it but price has increased to $28 plus gratuities. Not worth it for the quality served and you only get an hour to try all 12 which is really not that long when you factor in mingling with others and waiting for your tasting while pourers are more interested in socializing with guests.  The only decent one was a nice Argentina cab which they ran out of but they quickly found a replacement.