Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
tallnthensome

Wow! All three of my booked cruises just jumped 1K+

Recommended Posts

It is sad that some inexperienced cruisers will now book at these rates and not know to keep looking for price drops after Friday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG....the Breakaway Haven Penthouse that I booked yesterday morning when the cost was $2749 per person is now $3719 per person.    I'm afraid to look at the other ones I'm interested in😲

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going to need a 30+% BF sale that we can combine WITH the 20% Latitude discount just to get most of my watched cruises back to where they were one day ago.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hoping this is just another glitch.  It only seems to affect the fares that include offers.  The base Sail Away fares appear to be unchanged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Encore May studio (and now they are connecting only) jumped from $1,349 when I booked to $1,899

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We booked a Haven Spa balcony on the Getaway 4 days ago. It's a March 2020 sailing. Just checked and it's gone up $600 per person. It was $1,699 and now it's $2,299. Wow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well earlier this week I checked the price on my next cruise - Panama Canal in Jan 2020 on the Gem. I was shocked to see that the same SF suite I had booked was now 2k/person cheaper. My TA called NCL to see what he could do - we are well past final payment so I was not expecting much - we ended up getting two offers - a free upgrade (they did not say to where)  or 1k/person in FCC that had to be booked by the end of 2020 and used before end of 2021. So I turned around and booked an AK cruise on the Jewel with the 20% off. I will keep watching that cruise as the FCC does not kick in until final payment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, HowardK said:

My Encore May studio (and now they are connecting only) jumped from $1,349 when I booked to $1,899

Looks like they raised the price by around 40% so they can offer the big 30% off discount on Black Friday. My Joy PC that I paid was 2519 pp is now something like 4019 pp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are on the Joy March 22nd sailing - Four of us in an H6 - Haven Aft.

Final payment was Friday --- We paid $8300 Total for the four of us (plus two of us had free air)

To book it today would be $11,300!  --- without air promo.

So, we're happy there.....

 

Meanwhile,  the August cruise I was watching, went up 45%.  It was for a mulit-gen family vacation with six cabins.  I had finally coordinated all the families so I could select a date.  Was going to book all the cabins this weekend to surprise everyone at Thanksgiving.  I hope there is a sale coming otherwise we are going to need to look elsewhere.  ☹️

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're booked in a B6 category on POA for Nov 2020.  The price for the cabin in the same category on the opposite side of the ship went up $1280 per person.  Wow.  I'm finding with most of the cruise lines that we sail on that it's least expensive (I won't say 'cheaper') to book as far out from sailing date as possible. I just booked a 2021 cruise (on a different cruise line) and the prices have already increased.  Just like airfare.  The closer to the date, the more expensive it is. I want to fly to London next June.  The fare has gone from $1300 last August to $1900 as of now.  Pardon me while I catch my breath.....

Edited by Diver2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, timf2001 said:

I'm hoping this is just another glitch.  It only seems to affect the fares that include offers.  The base Sail Away fares appear to be unchanged.

That’s because sail away rates are not included in the 30% off Black Friday sale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bbixler18 said:

30% off

Do you have inside information on the 30%?  Pretty much all staterooms on all sailings, save a couple close in sailings, increased 40%+ overnight.  If the end goal is to increase bookings, I’d venture a guess the sale prices would be near 50%.   
 

A pending 30% sale is still quite a bit higher fare across the board from a couple days ago.  I wouldn’t expect a massive success with a 45% price hike followed by a 30% temporary  reduction. Some of these sailings are pretty close in and past final pmt. Those ships need filled and monkeying around with fake sales isn’t likely to do so.
 

50% Discount up to a certain occupancy Rate would hit it out of the park. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, littlelulu01 said:

Do you have inside information on the 30%?  Pretty much all staterooms on all sailings, save a couple close in sailings, increased 40%+ overnight.  If the end goal is to increase bookings, I’d venture a guess the sale prices would be near 50%.   
 

A pending 30% sale is still quite a bit higher fare across the board from a couple days ago.  I wouldn’t expect a massive success with a 45% price hike followed by a 30% temporary  reduction. Some of these sailings are pretty close in and past final pmt. Those ships need filled and monkeying around with fake sales isn’t likely to do so.
 

50% Discount up to a certain occupancy Rate would hit it out of the park. 

Sorry, not bbixler18, but I’m a TA and got the notification about the sale 3 days ago.

It is available on all sailings, but not available on sail away (x) categories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, justhappy said:

Sorry, not bbixler18, but I’m a TA and got the notification about the sale 3 days ago.

It is available on all sailings, but not available on sail away (x) categories.

So it’s actually just 30%?  I mean I could even see 30% and free dsc or something but seems pointless to hike virtually all prices over 40% just to have a 30% off black Friday event.  How does one wind out of the price inflation - especially on the past final payment sailings?  The sale ends on Sunday and come Monday the prices go back down the additional 10% just to get to baseline a couple days ago?  Having a “sale” with prices higher than they previously were to fill ships that you hadn’t filled pre sale Doesn’t make sense.  They must have a better pulse on their customer base. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, littlelulu01 said:

So it’s actually just 30%?  I mean I could even see 30% and free dsc or something but seems pointless to hike virtually all prices over 40% just to have a 30% off black Friday event.  How does one wind out of the price inflation - especially on the past final payment sailings?  The sale ends on Sunday and come Monday the prices go back down the additional 10% just to get to baseline a couple days ago?  Having a “sale” with prices higher than they previously were to fill ships that you hadn’t filled pre sale Doesn’t make sense.  They must have a better pulse on their customer base. 

Yes, just 30%, and also doesn’t apply to sailings less than 60 days away. The “special” runs Nov 25-Dec 6.

I don’t like it either as I’ll have to deal with clients who want to rebook for the “deal”

but will be disappointed that the sale won’t save them anything.

Edited by justhappy
Correct sale dates

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, littlelulu01 said:

So it’s actually just 30%?  I mean I could even see 30% and free dsc or something but seems pointless to hike virtually all prices over 40% just to have a 30% off black Friday event.  How does one wind out of the price inflation - especially on the past final payment sailings?  The sale ends on Sunday and come Monday the prices go back down the additional 10% just to get to baseline a couple days ago?  Having a “sale” with prices higher than they previously were to fill ships that you hadn’t filled pre sale Doesn’t make sense.  They must have a better pulse on their customer base. 

It is very common, marketing/sales 101 or whatever you call. I noticed the same thing weekly with my local neighborhood supermarket and other stores. One week an item is on sale with a good price making it a good deal. Next week, an item is not sale and has its regular price. Then the following week, the price for that item goes up and then there is a "sale" that makes the price about the same as a few weeks ago when i first saw it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, shof515 said:

It is very common, marketing/sales 101 or whatever you call. I noticed the same thing weekly with my local neighborhood supermarket and other stores. One week an item is on sale with a good price making it a good deal. Next week, an item is not sale and has its regular price. Then the following week, the price for that item goes up and then there is a "sale" that makes the price about the same as a few weeks ago when i first saw it

True, I love shopping at Kohl’s but they do it all the time. 
 

Edited by justhappy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW to advertise a 30% off sale you have to increase prices 42%.   Lets say the original price is $100.  To get back to a $100 with a 30% discount you'd need a cost of $142.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just saw from the agency that I use that indeed the 30% does start tomorrow but to get back to the prices from a week ago, this has to be combined with the past guest 20% off offer just to get back to even. I just got off the breakaway and during the future cruise presentation, the cruise next manager said the powers to be have over estimated the demand for Alaska so expect big discounts at some point for that market. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just posted this on a FB group and after 70 responses they took my post down.  Seems this group is run by TAs and didn't like the post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Peachypooh said:

Our May cruise on the Pearl increased from aprox. 4,000 to 8,000 for a category

lower cabin!?!

Whoa! That’s ridiculous! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...