Carnival Magic - LIVE - Dec 1-6 - FLL - Nassau, Grand Turk, Amber Cove

Saint Greg

Tonight or tomorrow night is when I’m going to figure out how to go from the 30 inch monstrosity I call a suitcase and the 19 inch pack that makes it look like my back is expecting twins to my new air travel friendly 21 inch suitcase and 13 inch backpack. 

I’m also going to try attempt to stay within the weight limit that will allow me to avoid incurring additional charges. I think that’s 40lbs.

I have no idea how many lbs I’ve been rolling on these cruises. As long as the porter can get it on the cart, I feel like I’ve met the the weight limit. I just make the the tip commensurate with how loud he grunts when he lifts the beast.

If anyone has any packing tips you think will help, feel free to add them here. I think the main one is going to be to bring less stuff.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I’m also going to try attempt to stay within the weight limit that will allow me to avoid incurring additional charges. I think that’s 40lbs.

If you're flying Southwest, the weight limit for checked bags is 50 pounds.

3 minutes ago, Amadawn1 said:

If you're flying Southwest, the weight limit for checked bags is 50 pounds.

Sorry.  I just went back to your first page and realized you are flying another airline. But Southwest does have up to 2 bags per passenger with no baggage charge.

From Carnival's FAQ's:

"Each checked suit case and carry-on suit case should not weigh more than 50 pounds, and when lying flat, bags must not exceed 16 inches high by 24 inches wide (the length of the bag is not a factor). For security screening purposes, all luggage should be unlocked. Oversized luggage and locked luggage may cause delivery delays. "

My backpack is almost the same size as my roller suit case and was so heavy with 2-12 pack cartons of sodas, plus my clothes and dopp kit, shoes, etc,etc,etc, that I felt if I fell over I couldn't get up without taking it off. lol.

Edited by Joe817
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

Tonight or tomorrow night is when I’m going to figure out how to go from the 30 inch monstrosity I call a suitcase and the 19 inch pack that makes it look like my back is expecting twins to my new air travel friendly 21 inch suitcase and 13 inch backpack. 

I have no idea how many lbs I’ve been rolling on these cruises. As long as the porter can get it on the cart, I feel like I’ve met the the weight limit. I just make the the tip commensurate with how loud he grunts when he lifts the beast.

If anyone has any packing tips you think will help, feel free to add them here. I think the main one is going to be to bring less stuff.

That’s a tough one for me, as well. I divide our stuff between 2 suitcases and a carry on. But you will only be bringing one suitcase, so my suggestion is to buy a luggage scale. I picked one up from Target, and it has been a godsend, preventing problems once at the airport. I know what everything weighs before I leave the house. I also bring it along to weigh suitcases for the return flight. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Amadawn1 said:

Sorry.  I just went back to your first page and realized you are flying another airline. But Southwest does have up to 2 bags per passenger with no baggage charge.

Yeah in this case I think I can have a free carry on and personal item. My suitcase is right at the limit...maybe just over for a carryon so I just Pre-paid for a checked bag which I think was cheaper than trying to carry on and then finding out you have to check it. I think the limit in this case is 40lbs without incurring additional charges.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grandmarnnurse said:

That’s a tough one for me, as well. I divide our stuff between 2 suitcases and a carry on. But you will only be bringing one suitcase, so my suggestion is to buy a luggage scale. I picked one up from Target, and it has been a godsend, preventing problems once at the airport. I know what everything weighs before I leave the house. I also bring it along to weigh suitcases for the return flight. 

I did buy a luggage weight doohickey on amazon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I did buy a luggage weight doohickey on amazon.

Major airlines all list what the weight limit is... I went back and read the Airfare part of your review at the beginning but couldn't see which airline you actually booked ( you mentioned Delta as being one of the flights you were looking at)… so based on my experience this year, American Airlines and Delta both have a weight limit of 50 lb per checked bag. 

8 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

Major airlines all list what the weight limit is... I went back and read the Airfare part of your review at the beginning but couldn't see which airline you actually booked ( you mentioned Delta as being one of the flights you were looking at)… so based on my experience this year, American Airlines and Delta both have a weight limit of 50 lb per checked bag. 

Spirit

26 minutes ago, JandPB said:

Following along. Looking forward to another great live adventure. It's a little over 3 months until we leave. Have to get through basketball season first. 

Welcome! I guess you’re talking college basketball? The NBA goes on forever it seems....

5 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Thanks. Fortunately I’m not much of a snacker. I’ll probably bring a bottle of water. 

Which you will have to purchase inside the airport. You can’t carry a bottle of water past TSA.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

Looks like I’m getting here just in time! sorry I’m late... ran my first marathon yesterday, but I’m all caught up and ready for you to fly! 

Only your first marathon? Well I guess it’s never too late to start. I’m not that excited about the flying part.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Anything else I need to know about the airport? Are they still limiting the size of your shampoo bottles? Do I have to take me shoes off? Pat down? Full body scan? 

You can put any size liquids in your checked bags. Carry ons - you can only have up to 3 oz. bottles of liquids/gels. You’ll have to take your shoes off unless you have TSA precheck. I’ve always had to have the full body scan. It seems they only do the pat down if something lights up on the full body scan. 

• Like 2