Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Saint Greg

Carnival Magic - LIVE - Dec 1-6 - FLL - Nassau, Grand Turk, Amber Cove

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, sid_9169 said:

I finally got to finish up your review today... I did follow along here and there while I was on the Encore... Nice job!... I know that you probably have a few future cruises lined up. What and when? And are you booked on the Mardi Gras yet? I just booked that one for Nov 28 2020...


Thanks!  This is what I have with potential for additions after NFL schedules come out.

 

February 29th 2020 – Carnival Panorama – 7 days

Long Beach

Cabo San Lucas

Mazatlan

Puerto Vallarta

August 29th 2020 – Carnival Magic – 8 days

Miami

Half Moon Cay

Grand Turk

Aruba

Bonaire

TBD

February 28, 2021 – Carnival Breeze – 8 days

Fort Lauderdale

St. Maarten

St. Kitts

San Juan

Grand Turk

August 28, 2021 – Carnival Mardi Gras – 7 days

Port Canaveral

San Juan

Amber Cove

Grand Turk

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2019 at 11:44 AM, Saint Greg said:

That ramp is steep. I’ve heard people say New Orleans is too long. I have nothing to compare it to other than Galveston which I think is similar. This is definitely shorter but it’s uphill all the way. My parents would probably struggle with it.

 

 

B244F0B5-F3B8-4D1B-B478-212CEBECCEB5.jpeg

That was the steepest ramp we've ever had in 27 cruises!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2019 at 6:43 PM, Saint Greg said:

83209F1C-0295-4871-9A1A-470FC008C034.jpeg

2C73A992-9419-4A22-950C-47DC5D5DD4FC.jpeg

EE2E8BA6-3312-43FE-8DF5-40ABAAD8B08E.jpeg

EFA64AF7-8C24-45ED-98DC-AB31DDC8B404.jpeg

342B33D3-AA84-4A0C-AA39-BCCA2F07FC13.jpeg

B63EDFC8-8CDC-4EAD-BAAE-8218C724F673.jpeg

Just curious where you were for these shots!? We are sailing the Getaway March 1st and these photos are amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, MrsKC08 said:

Just curious where you were for these shots!? We are sailing the Getaway March 1st and these photos are amazing.

 

The Riverwalk mall that's attached to Hilton Riverside. The upstairs ones are from outside the food court area...down by Nordstrom Rack. The one downstairs is just outside the doors of the riverwalk mall version of Cafe Du Monde.

 

 

Edited by Saint Greg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2019 at 6:13 PM, Hooked! said:

Welcome back, Greg! Thanks for taking us all with you. 

yes thank you Greg, great review - we're on the Magic leaving 21 December - can you tell me if there's another place open other than the buffet once you board for lunch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2019 at 4:09 PM, Saint Greg said:

If anyone can identify this ship that’s following us I’m interested for my future instagram posts. I have it in a lot of pictures.

 

DAB0F3AB-1219-40F5-ACF3-9F879C26FDA2.jpeg

That's a Princess ship. Either Regal or Royal Princess. They are sisters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

 

The Riverwalk mall that's attached to Hilton Riverside. The upstairs ones are from outside the food court area...down by Nordstrom Rack. The one downstairs is just outside the doors of the riverwalk mall version of Cafe Du Monde.

 

 

Awesome. We are staying at the Hilton Riverside in March!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MrsKC08 said:

Awesome. We are staying at the Hilton Riverside in March!

 

Nice! One of my favorite hotels. Make sure you try the charbroiled oysters from Drago's Restaurant. If you can't make it to the original cafe du monde, it's nice having one in the mall there. If you are a smoker and would like quick access to a courtyard or if you want quick access to a pool, I'd recommend trying to get a room in building 3. They have a bunch of courtyards in that building and one has a pool. Building 2 is going to have the best river views. Depending on the room in building 1 you could have a view. I shot this of the Getaway leaving from my room in building 1.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2019 at 5:04 PM, grandmarnnurse said:

Magic looked rough? How so? It looked lovely from all the reviews I’ve read, and Im on the Magic in April for a B2B for our 50th Anniversary.

We were on the Magic on this cruise and the next for a B2B. It was beautiful inside and out, not really sure what kind of beef this guy had but you know what they say about opinions. We had a wonderful time and there was no basis for a statement like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, bluesman0711 said:

We were on the Magic on this cruise and the next for a B2B. It was beautiful inside and out, not really sure what kind of beef this guy had but you know what they say about opinions. We had a wonderful time and there was no basis for a statement like this.

Thank you for your reassurance. I’m very excited for that cruise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

 

Nice! One of my favorite hotels. Make sure you try the charbroiled oysters from Drago's Restaurant. If you can't make it to the original cafe du monde, it's nice having one in the mall there. If you are a smoker and would like quick access to a courtyard or if you want quick access to a pool, I'd recommend trying to get a room in building 3. They have a bunch of courtyards in that building and one has a pool. Building 2 is going to have the best river views. Depending on the room in building 1 you could have a view. I shot this of the Getaway leaving from my room in building 1.

Thanks again Greg. You are a very valuable asset to these boards! :) We are not smokers and don't like oysters (I know, crazy), but I am definitely planning a trip to Cafe du Monde. I only recently started being a coffee drinker, but I take my coffee seriously and have become a little bit of a snob about it...but I can't wait to try them! Since we booked on Hotwire (another tip I got from you on these boards), not sure if we will be given a choice of where our room is. 

I would like to get your opinion though on parking. I've read all of your posts on these boards regarding parking in NOLA, and I had reserved with Machu Picchu for our cruise parking. I then found out that the hotel charges about $45/night to park there. I inquired with them about adding the additional night at the beginning of our reservation, and they offer it along with shuttle from there to the hotel, and hotel pick up to the terminal...BUT, it was an additional $40 for that. So, I thought just parking at the hotel would be better and we wouldn't have to rely on the shuttle to the hotel and hotel to the terminal. Then, I priced the Fulton Garage at $84 for the week as opposed to the $120 (7 day cruise parking only) with MP. I'm thinking it best to just park at the hotel then Fulton. Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrsKC08 said:

Thanks again Greg. You are a very valuable asset to these boards! 🙂 We are not smokers and don't like oysters (I know, crazy), but I am definitely planning a trip to Cafe du Monde. I only recently started being a coffee drinker, but I take my coffee seriously and have become a little bit of a snob about it...but I can't wait to try them! Since we booked on Hotwire (another tip I got from you on these boards), not sure if we will be given a choice of where our room is. 

I would like to get your opinion though on parking. I've read all of your posts on these boards regarding parking in NOLA, and I had reserved with Machu Picchu for our cruise parking. I then found out that the hotel charges about $45/night to park there. I inquired with them about adding the additional night at the beginning of our reservation, and they offer it along with shuttle from there to the hotel, and hotel pick up to the terminal...BUT, it was an additional $40 for that. So, I thought just parking at the hotel would be better and we wouldn't have to rely on the shuttle to the hotel and hotel to the terminal. Then, I priced the Fulton Garage at $84 for the week as opposed to the $120 (7 day cruise parking only) with MP. I'm thinking it best to just park at the hotel then Fulton. Thoughts?

 

Even if you don't like oysters...If you haven't had them grilled in garlic butter sauce...you don't really know. They also have a starbucks in the hotel.

 

I've had them work with me on room locations and I always book hotwire. It may be more difficult if they're booked up...which may be the case with two ships leaving the next day.

 

If you wanted to save $20...and the two ship embarkation day traffic...You could book one night of hotel parking at Fulton, have the hubby drop you off in front of the hotel with your luggage and go park. He walks back through the mall. Then on embarkation day you walk to the port through the mall. NCL is a little easier than CCL. The food court elevators take you down to the NCL port.

 

Otherwise I would say you're doing right parking at the hotel. $45 is about right for them. One tip here if you do park there. They have two garages. The one closest to the front of the hotel is no longer owned by Hilton. It was transferred back over to the World Trade Center which is becoming a Four Seasons. You can still park there and the rates are the same but if you do...don't lose your ticket. Leave the ticket in the car. They charge $150 for a lost ticket. The other garage is Hilton. If you park there they will take your ticket at check-in and make it where your room key lets you out of the garage. 

 

I've never used Machu Picchu. They are well reviewed. I get price quotes from them each time but Fulton just always works better for me. It sounds like MP has gone up about $10 in the past year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MrsKC08 said:

Thanks again Greg. You are a very valuable asset to these boards! 🙂 We are not smokers and don't like oysters (I know, crazy), but I am definitely planning a trip to Cafe du Monde. I only recently started being a coffee drinker, but I take my coffee seriously and have become a little bit of a snob about it...but I can't wait to try them! Since we booked on Hotwire (another tip I got from you on these boards), not sure if we will be given a choice of where our room is. 

I would like to get your opinion though on parking. I've read all of your posts on these boards regarding parking in NOLA, and I had reserved with Machu Picchu for our cruise parking. I then found out that the hotel charges about $45/night to park there. I inquired with them about adding the additional night at the beginning of our reservation, and they offer it along with shuttle from there to the hotel, and hotel pick up to the terminal...BUT, it was an additional $40 for that. So, I thought just parking at the hotel would be better and we wouldn't have to rely on the shuttle to the hotel and hotel to the terminal. Then, I priced the Fulton Garage at $84 for the week as opposed to the $120 (7 day cruise parking only) with MP. I'm thinking it best to just park at the hotel then Fulton. Thoughts?


I’m going to do a big Hilton Riverside article on my blog that probably won’t come out until the downtime between my next two cruises. But I have a ton of pictures and videos ready for it so I’ll go ahead and share a few that illustrate my points.

 

This first garage is the one that’s now operated by wtc/four seasons. Like I say you can still park there..just don’t lose your ticket. The one on the right is Hilton. 

 

 

014A40AD-2C21-4A00-8827-76A011303297.jpeg

4DF2FFD5-4937-4583-AB24-EA20991F2E14.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Valet. That’s the wtc/four seasons garage on the right and Hilton garage straight ahead. Hotel entrance is on the left Where the guy is standing.

 

FD9A251C-BB95-4BE9-A5E9-CD327BE7F4F5.jpeg

B651895F-2F87-4827-8448-AB2B633F249E.jpeg

Edited by Saint Greg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How did I not know about this cruise / review?? Holidays, I guess. Welp, I'm playing catch up on the blog now and glad to have your upcoming schedule. 7 weeks until my next cruise, but I'll be on another line.

 

Thanks for all the great content!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, pamici said:

How did I not know about this cruise / review?? Holidays, I guess. Welp, I'm playing catch up on the blog now and glad to have your upcoming schedule. 7 weeks until my next cruise, but I'll be on another line.

 

Thanks for all the great content!


Sounds like we’re cruising the same week. Seven weeks from now I’ll be in Long Beach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:


Sounds like we’re cruising the same week. Seven weeks from now I’ll be in Long Beach.

 

Sure 'nuff - I'm jealous of that Mexican Riviera itinerary. Taking another girls' cruise to the Western Caribbean March 2-6. I'm impatient for all the ships and itineraries I want to try!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, pamici said:

 

Sure 'nuff - I'm jealous of that Mexican Riviera itinerary. Taking another girls' cruise to the Western Caribbean March 2-6. I'm impatient for all the ships and itineraries I want to try!


I was actually originally supposed to be on Dream the week before you. I kind of started having regrets on the booking after my 10th time in Cozumel.


When they announced Breeze was taking over that route in 2021...That was the final straw. If I’m going to do it again I’d rather do it on Breeze. And if I’m going to do Dream again I’d rather go on one of the 6 or 8 day cruises it’s going to be doing on 2021.
 

So I looked at Panorama and found this cruise that was significantly cheaper than what I paid for Vista. So I searched for all panorama cruises and this one was the cheapest one of the entire schedule. That’s when I decided to try to switch it. They let me do it for just $50.

 

I’m happier now. New ship, new port of departure, all new ports. And I still have Breeze coming back to Galveston and the 6-8 day cruises Dream will be doing to look at later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...