Just found out 5 ships will be in port and we’re the last one to come in!

dis2cruise

We were in Grand Cayman a couple of weeks ago on a stay at the Kimpton Seafire Resort and I noticed the amount of passengers each day. Tuesday (of that week), we had more than 18,000 people on five ships. The day before was about 5,000. Average was 8,500. Seven Mile Beach will get crowded. Hopefully, if you are the last ship in, you will be the last to leave. We noticed it was worse from around 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Mparis184 said:

Where did you get the information about 5 ships being in port at the same time you will be there?  I want to look up the ports on our itinerary and see how crowded the ports will be.  Thanks

There are a few sites where you can find this information.  Just Google "how many ships in port".  Here is one for example:  http://ports.cruisett.com/.

I take that back - I tried this website and it was not working well.  I do know this information is online.  Hopefully, someone will post a better site.

Edited by epermar
Information incorrect

Seven Mile Beach is actually over 5 miles long.  To say that the whole beach gets crowded when there are more cruises ships in is inaccurate.

Most cruise visitors want the same thing - renting beach chairs or a cabana, food and drink available, nice swimming beach, washrooms and showers.  There are currently three places that offer this - Royal Palms Beach Club, Calico Jacks and Coral Beach.  Therefore most cruise ship visitors will gravitate towards those places and they get crowded.

However, if you are willing to do without these, then there are long stretches of the beach that that very far from crowded even on the most busy cruise ship days.  You can bring your own food and drink to the beach, so could ask your taxi driver to stop somewhere to pick up some drinks, and head to either Governor's Beach or Cemetery Beach and have a very quiet, relaxing beach experience.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 1/4/2020 at 1:55 PM, TravellingBritNY said:

Seven Mile Beach is actually over 5 miles long.  To say that the whole beach gets crowded when there are more cruises ships in is inaccurate.

Most cruise visitors want the same thing - renting beach chairs or a cabana, food and drink available, nice swimming beach, washrooms and showers.  There are currently three places that offer this - Royal Palms Beach Club, Calico Jacks and Coral Beach.  Therefore most cruise ship visitors will gravitate towards those places and they get crowded.

However, if you are willing to do without these, then there are long stretches of the beach that that very far from crowded even on the most busy cruise ship days.  You can bring your own food and drink to the beach, so could ask your taxi driver to stop somewhere to pick up some drinks, and head to either Governor's Beach or Cemetery Beach and have a very quiet, relaxing beach experience.

Is the entire beach 'public', or are there certain restricted areas that would prevent you from walking along the beach? I think i saw a fence in one of the pictures I was looking at, so just curious. I think we'll try what you recommend and try to find one of these non-crowded areas along the beach.

Thanks!

19 hours ago, BHannis said:

Is the entire beach 'public', or are there certain restricted areas that would prevent you from walking along the beach? I think i saw a fence in one of the pictures I was looking at, so just curious. I think we'll try what you recommend and try to find one of these non-crowded areas along the beach.

By law of the Cayman Islands all beaches are public in their entirety (not just up to the high water mark as some like to claim).  In fact, condos and other facilities have to provide public rights of way to the beach from roads.

The main thing is that, while the beach may be public, chairs, tables, etc put out by hotels, bars and condos are NOT.  So feel free to take a towel and a cooler with beverages and food and plop down anywhere.

There are lounger rentals all along the beach.  7 Mile Beach is 6+ miles long....so there is plenty of space for everyone...no worries.  Not EVERY passenger wants a beach day!  Neither do all of the folks who are vacationing there, or live there!