On Board Credit left on the table

astridwilson

I assumed that on board credit would be applied toward the $15 per day per person service charge.  It was NOT and we were stupid and did not use it.  My Mom had $100 on board credit that she did not use, so she had to pay her service charges.  Has anyone had experience with getting this credited/reversed?  RC and I believe Carnival BOTH allow on board credit to be used against service charges. 

NCL has two types of onboard credit — refundable and non-refundable. Most credit that is given to you by NCL is non-refundable. Any credit that you purchase and some of the credit that is given to you as a perk from a travel agent is refundable credit. 

Refundable credit can be used for the daily service charges. Non-refundable

credit cannot be used for the DSC. 

As the names imply, any refundable credit left over on your account will be mailed to you as a check several weeks after the cruise. Non-refundable credit is “use it or

loose it”. 

7 minutes ago, Pitzel said:

NCL has two types of onboard credit — refundable and non-refundable. Most credit that is given to you by NCL is non-refundable. Any credit that you purchase and some of the credit that is given to you as a perk from a travel agent is refundable credit. 

Refundable credit can be used for the daily service charges. Non-refundable

credit cannot be used for the DSC. 

As the names imply, any refundable credit left over on your account will be mailed to you as a check several weeks after the cruise. Non-refundable credit is “use it or

loose it”. 

I was on a sailing over Memorial Day Weekend this year and had a refundable credit that I did not use. At the end of the cruise when I swiped my Seapass before disembarking they pulled me aside to a stand they had set up and gave me the refundable amount in cash.

Edited by Greek Boss
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, astridwilson said:

I assumed that on board credit would be applied toward the $15 per day per person service charge.  It was NOT and we were stupid and did not use it.  My Mom had $100 on board credit that she did not use, so she had to pay her service charges.  Has anyone had experience with getting this credited/reversed?  RC and I believe Carnival BOTH allow on board credit to be used against service charges. 

NCL's OBC is no different than Carnival's OBC.  There is refundable and nonrefundable, refundable can be used for anything, nonrefundable cannot be used for gratuities.  Maybe you got lucky with Carnival in the past but there is no difference in the way OBC can be used.

5 hours ago, astridwilson said:

So, HOW should I have know this could not be used for Service Charges??

you wouldn’t unless you sought that information out. Sorry to hear you got burned. But the credit you have can’t be used for the service charge and isn’t refundable so I don’t think there’s any way to get any benefit from it now. If you have a future cruise book perhaps ask NCL if an equivalent non-refundable OBC amount could be applied to your new cruise. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, astridwilson said:

when I had non.refundable credit left, NCL sent me a check, took a couple of months,

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

you wouldn’t unless you sought that information out. Sorry to hear you got burned. But the credit you have can’t be used for the service charge and isn’t refundable so I don’t think there’s any way to get any benefit from it now. If you have a future cruise book perhaps ask NCL if an equivalent non-refundable OBC amount could be applied to your new cruise. 

The OP did not get "burned"....... the OP left money on the table solely because they didn't read the T&Cs of what they had and what it could be used for.

If you have the PBP and you only drink soda...... that's not getting "burned" it is just not doing research on what you have and what you could do with it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, esm54687 said:

The OP did not get "burned"....... the OP left money on the table solely because they didn't read the T&Cs of what they had and what it could be used for.

If you have the PBP and you only drink soda...... that's not getting "burned" it is just not doing research on what you have and what you could do with it.

nobody reads the T&C for every single thing. I do believe that other cruise lines allow you to use nonrefundable OBC towards gratuities so it’s not unreasonable to assume that it can be used for that on NCL. Just because you have enough experience with NCL and/or read the forums enough that you know these oddball details doesn’t make someone who doesn’t automatically wrong. If you cruise multiple lines and found that on celebrity X is true, and on carnival X is true. Then it’s not unreasonable to believe that on NCL X is true.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sanger727 said:

nobody reads the T&C for every single thing. I do believe that other cruise lines allow you to use nonrefundable OBC towards gratuities so it’s not unreasonable to assume that it can be used for that on NCL. Just because you have enough experience with NCL and/or read the forums enough that you know these oddball details doesn’t make someone who doesn’t automatically wrong. If you cruise multiple lines and found that on celebrity X is true, and on carnival X is true. Then it’s not unreasonable to believe that on NCL X is true.

Sorry, ignorance (not reading the T&Cs) is not getting "burned".  I did NOT say the OP was "wrong" what I said was the OP wasn't "burned" by NCL as you tried to paint it. 

A Hyundai Tucson costs 27,000, a Ford Escape cost 27,000 and a Kia Sportage costs 27,000 so did I get "burned" by the Audi dealer charging me 55,000 for a Q5?

On Sept 30, 2020 a US citizen can fly domestically in the US with a plain government issued ID but on Oct 1, 2020 that same person will need a REAL ID compliant government issued ID to fly domestically ........ so by your comments, that person who's not paying attention to oddball details will be excused on Oct 1st from requiring to have REAL ID to fly domestically?? 

People who purchase (or receive a promo or coupon or voucher) should be expected to read T&Cs and if they don't take individual responsibility then "ooops, too bad". 

This is not specific to the OP but anyone who buys anything anywhere.

• Thanks 1

https://www.ncl.com/travel-blog/how-to-onboard-credit

In addition, it is fairly regularly mentioned in this forum. 

@FLAHAM - thank you for sharing the link. These are the kinds of posts that are always the most helpful such that you can see the source of the information that people are sharing.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, astridwilson said:

So, HOW should I have know this could not be used for Service Charges??

I believe on the ship invoice the last line is unused Non refundable credit. This would tell you what you have left to spend.   

4 minutes ago, sunny aurora said:

If you have obc, I believe it shows a negative balance until it is used up.

On my Dawn cruise a few weeks ago:

The Cruise Norwegian app only shows a negative balance when you have refundable credits. If you only have non refundable credits, the app will show a $0.00 balance .If you have refundable credits then it will show a negative balance.  On my cruise, i had both refundable and non refundable credits. checking the balance on the app was annoying at times

On my stateroom tv, non refundable and refundable credits did show up as a negative balance as the total balance then there was another line item that said something available credit. Very helpful

Edited by shof515