Lotus Spa Massages - Recommendations?

Bugalugsnz

I have a four day trip on Golden Princess coming up - all sea days - and have a wee bit of OBC I’d like to put towards a relaxation massage (or two) at the Lotus Spa. I haven’t used the spa before and the descriptions in the personaliser aren’t all that helpful. I just can’t choose!

Any recommendations? How does hot stone therapy compare to Swedish massage?
50 minutes or 75 or 90?

Help!

p.s. I will be joining the ship just for the return leg of a longer trip so I’m assuming the ‘Specials’ won’t be available to me.

Pick any you like - they will adjust to what you want and you can discuss with them on board. You aren't really locked into any style based on what you pick through the Personalizer.   I prefer 75 or 90 minutes and really like "reflexology" (big time foot massage).  You might still see some specials, and they have a 10-20-30 tier discount system for their "signature" services (get 3 things and the discount is 10% off lowest cost, 20% off next most, and 30% off highest.)

I have only done the massage sample teaser...  It was a young girl with small hands, and immediately it was like squeezing and poking and not using the full hands in a way that was pleasing or relaxing.  In fact, with the trigger points of Fibromyalgia, I would have been terrified  of this causing a major excruciating flareup.  I would love to maybe try a hot stone massage, but I stopped that teaser massage right away and did not make any arrangements for a massage onboard.

• Like 1

I've had a number of hot stone massages on Princess cruises--haven't tried any others as I loved the first hot stone one <g>.  Be sure to visit with the spa people (usually just outside the spa) on the day you board as they often have specials for those who sign up right away.

14 hours ago, LoriPhil said:

Can’t compare with Swedish, but we typically get hot stone massage with instruction that our intent is focus on relaxation, rather than intensive deep muscle massage.

Good tip, thanks, my intention is the same - relaxation!

12 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

I have only done the massage sample teaser...  It was a young girl with small hands, and immediately it was like squeezing and poking and not using the full hands in a way that was pleasing or relaxing.  In fact, with the trigger points of Fibromyalgia, I would have been terrified  of this causing a major excruciating flareup.  I would love to maybe try a hot stone massage, but I stopped that teaser massage right away and did not make any arrangements for a massage onboard.

Ouch, yes I can see that would not have been good. I want to disembark feeling better, not worse!

11 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

I've had a number of hot stone massages on Princess cruises--haven't tried any others as I loved the first hot stone one <g>.  Be sure to visit with the spa people (usually just outside the spa) on the day you board as they often have specials for those who sign up right away.

Will do, thanks.

I have done the hot stone and the Swedish massage. Hot stone was much nicer. I was hurting after the Swedish massage for a few days. I would recommend the hot stone and if you do not like sales pitches of the product they have used let them know on the bottom of the form you fill out before going in. Usually I find that they will not bother you about it.

• Like 1

I also like the reflexology but my absolute favorite is the bamboo massage where the technician uses a length of bamboo as a rolling pin for really deep tissue stimulation. They will modulate pressure to your liking but I like it full on. For my money there is no better treat at sea!

• Like 1

Think it depends on if you regularly get massages at home and what type. At home I get pretty regular 90 minute massages and reflexology with stones. I have gotten different types of treatments on-board, Swedish, hot stone, bamboo, salt scrub/massage, and seaweed wrap with massage. The quality of the treatment depends on the therapist you get and your expectations. My recommendation is if you aren't use to massages go for the 50 minutes the first time, to see what you like and how your body reacts. I pretty much like them all except for the bamboo, which left me bruised even though I had asked her to lighten pressure then finally stop using the bamboo altogether. I was surprised that I disliked this so much since I generally like pretty intense pressure. Good luck in finding what works best for you!

• 4 months later...

All I can say is be fully aware of the charges before you reserve and complete a session.

Last year I made reservation for a couple treatment well before our cruise.  If I recall correctly it was listed as "Couples Full Body Message 50 Minutes,"$239.00 bucks or so. 

On September 26, 2019 had the message performed at the lotus spa on the Regal princess.  The message was pretty good and considering the venue,  I would say it was probably worth $239 as a couple.

However, the upsell to lotions, creams, and other un necessary expensive products was constant, and got pretty ridiculous.  I ended up saying, "I just want to pay and get back to my room, can I do that please". 

When they finally ran my credit card for the fee, I was charged $497.43.  At that moment, I realized that probably in the small print somewhere is states (per person).  Not wanting to ruin the moment for my wife of 30 years, I added a $20 tip (10 per Masseuse) .  So that would make the fee about 239 "each" rather than for a "couple".

In the future,  I will have to be cognizant of the Princess definition of the word "couples",  to mean something more like "two individuals in the same room as a couple".  For billing purposes that is.

On a sidebar, I am looking at the current Lotus Couples massage treatments and see the following: The first listing shows:
Couples ELEMIS Deep Tissue Massage 50 Minutes at the price "From 289.  However in the description, in the last line reads, "The listed price is per couple.

The remainder of the couples massages listed, do not contain this "..price per couple"  statement in the description.  Interesting indeed.

Therefore we will NEVER purchase another "couples " or "Individuals in the same room as a couple" massage on any Princess cruise ship.

image.thumb.png.279031b72a6797ed67d4f73348e1dd84.png

Edited by MKAH
Add example

On 11/23/2019 at 9:39 PM, Bugalugsnz said:

I have a four day trip on Golden Princess coming up - all sea days - and have a wee bit of OBC I’d like to put towards a relaxation massage (or two) at the Lotus Spa. I haven’t used the spa before and the descriptions in the personaliser aren’t all that helpful. I just can’t choose!

Any recommendations? How does hot stone therapy compare to Swedish massage?
50 minutes or 75 or 90?

Help!

p.s. I will be joining the ship just for the return leg of a longer trip so I’m assuming the ‘Specials’ won’t be available to me.

Lotus Spa is a definite visit for us.  We usually do couple massages, either hot stone or hot bamboo.  We usually do 75 minutes.