Question for Panorama Cruisers about PV

mslhb

We are sailing on the Panorama and I have a question about the time in port for Puerto Vallarta. The itinerary lists 8am to 8pm. Is that LA time or Puerto Vallarta time? If LA time it’s 10am-10pm local which feels late to leave port. I am looking to book a non-Carnival excursion for the day and don’t want to choose an incorrect departure time.

16 minutes ago, mslhb said:

We are sailing on the Panorama and I have a question about the time in port for Puerto Vallarta. The itinerary lists 8am to 8pm. Is that LA time or Puerto Vallarta time? If LA time it’s 10am-10pm local which feels late to leave port. I am looking to book a non-Carnival excursion for the day and don’t want to choose an incorrect departure time.

I've never sailed to PV before, but I can tell you that the times listed in the Fun Times (and the Carnival itinerary) for all other ports we've visited have always been ship time, not local time.

I’m sorry, but saying ship time doesn’t really help a lot.  The real question is does the ship change time to co-ordinate with the local time?  Unfortunately we don’t know what the Panorama is going to do until it gets a few cruises under her belt and people report back.  The other problem is when are you going, because you have daylight savings to deal with and Mexico Does NOT change a head when the USA changes ahead on March 8th, 2020?

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, cmptrwiz said:

I’m sorry, but saying ship time doesn’t really help a lot.  The real question is does the ship change time to co-ordinate with the local time?  Unfortunately we don’t know what the Panorama is going to do until it gets a few cruises under her belt and people report back.  The other problem is when are you going, because you have daylight savings to deal with and Mexico Does NOT change a head when the USA changes ahead on March 8th, 2020?

Actually ship's time tells you everything you need to know. The ship will not change time from the time at its home port (except in very rare circumstances, like an LA-Hawaii cruise or a TA). So if your ship ports out of LA, it will be on Pacific time, and will remain on that time, regardless of what time it is in the port you're visiting. And Daylight Saving Time has no impact on the itinerary because of this.

If Panorama were to wait until she got 'a few cruises under her belt' she'd be the only ship in the fleet to do so.

30 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Hang'n out at the 5-star resorts for the day...  sitting on lounges with ocean vies, drink'n margs, swimming their fun pools, and having lunch.

We are also on the Panorama in January.  I think they have a late departure for "Rhythm of Night", a favorite shore excursion.  We take the Mexican Riviera cruise alot, and Carnival is one of the few that stays late for this.  

I’ve done this route on Carnival a lot of times (I live 30 minutes from the port) and it varies. The cruise director and the captain decide. Most will do at least one time shift, some will do two to match PV.  Very few do no changes. You won’t really know until Panorama starts doing the route. And then it can change with the CD and captain.

enjoy

Ron

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shaded Lady said:

Actually ship's time tells you everything you need to know. The ship will not change time from the time at its home port (except in very rare circumstances, like an LA-Hawaii cruise or a TA). So if your ship ports out of LA, it will be on Pacific time, and will remain on that time, regardless of what time it is in the port you're visiting. And Daylight Saving Time has no impact on the itinerary because of this.

If Panorama were to wait until she got 'a few cruises under her belt' she'd be the only ship in the fleet to do so.

If you haven't cruised the Mexican Riviera then you need to know that they do indeed change the time on the ship.  Sometimes several times.

Regardless, I've found it easier to not change my time and not book late excursions unless through Carnival.  Most, if not all, outside excursion vendors will know what time the ship is set to depart and will schedule accordingly.  But not the same insurance as booking a Carnival excursion.

1 hour ago, ronrythm said:

I’ve done this route on Carnival a lot of times (I live 30 minutes from the port) and it varies. The cruise director and the captain decide. Most will do at least one time shift, some will do two to match PV.  Very few do no changes. You won’t really know until Panorama starts doing the route. And then it can change with the CD and captain.

enjoy

Ron

Exactly what I was going to say, very same has happened to us, kind of up to them, no way to tell ahead of time.

Earlier this week I called Carnival Customer service twice to ask this same question. Both agents said the same thing - the times listed on itineraries are always based on local time at the port stop. It’s up to the captain to change ship time to match or not but the times listed are when locals would say you arrive in port.