On nieuw Amsterdam

Caymus88

We arrived at Port Everglades yesterday at 10:30. No traffic, no waiting , in boarding group 1. Boarded at 11:30

Easy peasy

SS verry nice.

our first dinner was at Canneleto.  Never again. We were first seated And 3 and a half hours later still there.  No thanks 

We didn’t like the food either.

In Key West now.
Last night we missed all activities.  But I have high hopes.

4 hours ago, catl331 said:

Did they give any reason(s) why service was so bad?

No reason was given, however the manager came to our table tonight.

There are 8 of us. He apologized after we voiced our complaints.

He offered us a dinner at the Canneleto on him, but my Dh said no

The others may go back.

4 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Thank you for checking in.

So sorry to hear that you missed all the first night's activities because of super slow service in the Canaletto.  

Hope the rest of your cruise goes well.

Good morning KK!! 
Canaletto had such poor service and so slow on our last cruise we got up and walked out! Only 2 other couples were in the restaurant and it was like 5:30 that I remember. We got a call with an apology and said new staff and Cooks? Hun? 
They wanted to give us a complimentary dinner but we thanked them and said we would pass. The old days with great service and food when they first were introduced has gone 😞 I was hoping things have improved. Sorry wasn’t trying to complain but 3 1/2 hours at Canaletto 

no thanks.

Denise😊

• Like 1

Thanks for checking in and posting your boarding times and experience. We wll be on board in 12 days in an SS category as well (6096) and found that information very helpful.

Could I bother you for these details as well;

Who is your cruise director?

Is the pool area overly crowded on your sea day and are the cabanas around the pool being used?   

-Wife loves to spend all day at the pool on sea days and we are trying to decide if it is wise just to spend some additional monies for some guaranteed space (cabana) up on the pool deck.

Thank you in advance for this and any additional info you can provide.   : )

Edited by shloink1

1 hour ago, shloink1 said:

Thanks for checking in and posting your boarding times and experience. We wll be on board in 12 days in an SS category as well (6096) and found that information very helpful.

Could I bother you for these details as well;

Who is your cruise director?

Is the pool area overly crowded on your sea day and are the cabanas around the pool being used?   

-Wife loves to spend all day at the pool on sea days and we are trying to decide if it is wise just to spend some additional monies for some guaranteed space (cabana) up on the pool deck.

Thank you in advance for this and any additional info you can provide.   : )

I’m thinking Rachael is her name.  If I’m wrong I’ll post later. Pool is very crowded, we all opted for the therapy pool for extra $.  
cabanas are used.

But I heard this ship- capacity 2100 has 2175 onboard.  LOTS of kids and babies.

3 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Good morning KK!! 
Canaletto had such poor service and so slow on our last cruise we got up and walked out! Only 2 other couples were in the restaurant and it was like 5:30 that I remember. We got a call with an apology and said new staff and Cooks? Hun? 
They wanted to give us a complimentary dinner but we thanked them and said we would pass. The old days with great service and food when they first were introduced has gone 😞 I was hoping things have improved. Sorry wasn’t trying to complain but 3 1/2 hours at Canaletto 

no thanks.

Denise😊

the Canaletto manager is being persistent about giving us a comp meal, the others doing it, but we said no thanks.  Food was awful anyway.  Lido is better IMO.  All dining venues are crowded.

22 hours ago, Caymus88 said:

No reason was given, however the manager came to our table tonight.

There are 8 of us. He apologized after we voiced our complaints.

He offered us a dinner at the Canneleto on him, but my Dh said no

The others may go back.

Dh went to guest services and they agreed to refund the canelleto extra fees.

I don’t always agree with him, but I did this time

6 hours ago, Caymus88 said:

One of our group is in the Pinnacle Suite

Ordered room service for breakfast, they plopped down a tray and left.

He is used to better service.

Good grief-what’s happening & wrong with this ship?  That’s ridiculous, especially being in the Pinnacle suite.

• Like 1

The first time we tried Canaletto was on the Amsterdam many years ago.  It was okay -- nothing to rave about.

The second we tried Canaletto was a year later on the Maasdam.  Terrible service -- only saw our waiter when he took our order.  His helpers cleared the table and brought our meals.  When I cut into my Veal, water squirted out -- it was still frozen.  We were told that it would take another hour to defrost one and get it cooked.  No thanks.  We never tried another Canaletto.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

The first time we tried Canaletto was on the Amsterdam many years ago.  It was okay -- nothing to rave about.

The second we tried Canaletto was a year later on the Maasdam.  Terrible service -- only saw our waiter when he took our order.  His helpers cleared the table and brought our meals.  When I cut into my Veal, water squirted out -- it was still frozen.  We were told that it would take another hour to defrost one and get it cooked.  No thanks.  We never tried another Canaletto.

😱 I agree!! Yuck

Denise😊

• Like 1

We are so disappointed in this ship.  Service everywhere has been spotty at best.  Today we are in Grand Turk and chose to stay on the ship to just relax.  Ha!  Drills, saws, hammering.  It is like they are in the middle of revamping the ship.  Shame on HAL!  This is our last cruise with Holland America.

We have a 24 day Mediterranean/Greek Isles B2B on NA in May. This thread and these comments are very worrisome. 

I have to believe sailing the week of Thanksgiving is a magnet for families and kids, although that many sounds over the top!  I am hoping May will not be so much so. 

I can skip Canaletto (wasn’t all the impressed before) but all the issues with service are certainly concerning. Is this typical of late to NA? 

Edited by Vineyard View

2 hours ago, Porschewife said:

We are so disappointed in this ship.  Service everywhere has been spotty at best.  Today we are in Grand Turk and chose to stay on the ship to just relax.  Ha!  Drills, saws, hammering.  It is like they are in the middle of revamping the ship.  Shame on HAL!  This is our last cruise with Holland America.

So sorry to hear about your disappointing cruise.  I am booked on the NA Dec 7-21.  After terrible service at the MDR on my last cruise on the Eurodam last year, I also thought it would be my last on HAL. I decided to give HAL another chance with the NA as the price was excellent.  It certainly doesn't look like the cruise is anywhere near being sold out as I have been inundated with upsells and OC for $15 per day.  I will go with an open mind and will probably go more often to the specialty restaurants (except for Canaletto😱). I love cruising but if I can get a better product in the Caribbean in an all-inclusive 5* resort for the same price, I will do that.  The rapid decline of HAL really bugs me as I am about to hit 4 star mariner status on this cruise and was looking to some of the perks and discounts.  I would like to hear what your MDR experience has been on this ship.  I hope that, at least, the weather is good.☀️

• Like 1