On nieuw Amsterdam

Caymus88

47 minutes ago, dot73 said:

Thank you for all your comments.  I will be on board from Dec 7-21. Could someone tell me when the gala nights were held?  Thank you,.

Dot - on the first 7 days they will VERY likely be on the two sea days (Monday and Thursday).

Dave

I've only been on Koningsdam and Nieuw Amsterdam. I enjoyed both ships but perhaps liked NA a little better. It definitely feels smaller but there were a few things that made it more enjoyable from a passenger perspective. The large promenade deck for example. I also enjoyed the quieter MDR. The MDR on Koningsdam is terribly loud and I thought it was also too warm. I thought the Lido on Koningsdam was better because there seemed to be more food options (or maybe just duplicate options on each side). Also, on NA I missed Grand Dutch and the Gelato place. Finally, our cabin on NA felt larger and better laid out. It had two showers which made things really convenient.

Thanks for your review info it's helpful to everyone who reads it.

On 11/25/2019 at 2:20 PM, Caymus88 said:

I’m thinking Rachael is her name.  If I’m wrong I’ll post later. Pool is very crowded, we all opted for the therapy pool for extra $.  
cabanas are used.

But I heard this ship- capacity 2100 has 2175 onboard.  LOTS of kids and babies.

Rachael was the CTD on the previous weeks NA Cruise. Don't have an actual passenger count, but it was sold out, as the Front Desk had a sing up the first couple of days, that no upgrades were available. 

Not a large number of kids and babies on our cruise. But I would generally see a few each day, most of the time in the Lido during lunch/dinner time. 

I appreciate the positive comments that have been added to this thread. 

Those not so positive are still concerning but it is nice to see a bit of balance being observed. We haven been on HAL for several years, and never on NA so it has caught my attention with our upcoming trip booked in May. 

Thank you for all these comments. 

• Like 1

We had a very nice surprise yesterday.  We received a phone call from Tatiana at customer relations that she had heard we were unhappy (someone on HAL must have read my posts).  She wanted to know the exact details which I gave her.  She apologized with great sincerity and gave us a nice credit on our bill and dinner at Tamarind.  It was very much appreciated.  Customer service like this can make one feel much better about a bad experience.

We were also on this cruise.  It was definitely more crowded than usual, and there were a lot more kids, though everyone was well behaved.   We enjoyed the food very much, but the service in the dining room suffered.   We liked the ship, but will not sail Thanksgiving week again.

• Like 1

We were also on this cruise. And our group contributed to the kid-count (5 kids in our group), but overall it was a great trip!

We did Tamarind twice, and it was EXCELLENT.  MDR lines on Deck 2 were super long, but since we were Neptune, we went in the Club Orange priority line and didn't wait at all.

BB Kings was fun, but got repetitive with the same songs every other night. Billboard was entertaining, but I thought David Anthony on Amsterdam was much better. Only went to one show, Step One, and it was just OK. 

Pool was super crowded on sea days, and we did have to move towels left too long in order to get seats. Sea View pool was not full but chairs were. The deck above it had plenty of loungers and breezes, though.