BirdTravels on the Inaugural Voyage of the Encore to the Eastern Caribbean

BirdTravels

On 11/26/2019 at 9:52 AM, bkrickles1 said:

We are unaffected by the crowds on sea days and my wife is a notorious people watcher/listener so she enjoys herself regardless. Lol.

Anyway, thanks again and enjoy yourself.

oh man!  I wanna hang out with your wife if you're going on Feb 2 - I love people watching/listening and it's always more fun with someone else!!!  😂🤣😊

On 11/26/2019 at 4:18 PM, dporter said:

Their wine by the glass choice is quite limited if you have just the Premium Beverage Package.

I noticed that, too.  But then I thought...upgrading is $500 for two.  We could buy a decent, $60 bottle of wine 4 of the nights and only spend $240.  It's definitely something to think about.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 6:38 PM, GettotheSun said:

I found it interesting that they had several glasses priced at $16.  So that’s a $1 upgrade, lol!!!  Actually it’s kind of clever as I’d say 3 of the $16 glass wines I would probably pop for the $1 surcharge.   Still cheaper by a football field than the Plus package, which doesn’t include Veuve anymore...as we have now learned!!

When we were on Jade and I ordered a $16 glass of wine thinking I would just pay the $1 difference.... I was charged the entire $16.  I questioned the waiter, the manager and then the managers at the front desk all the way up to the F&B manager and they said that's correct.  You go one dollar over and pay the entire $16.  Anyone know what's correct?

3 hours ago, The Sandrews said:

When we were on Jade and I ordered a $16 glass of wine thinking I would just pay the $1 difference.... I was charged the entire $16.  I questioned the waiter, the manager and then the managers at the front desk all the way up to the F&B manager and they said that's correct.  You go one dollar over and pay the entire $16.  Anyone know what's correct?

I believe they overcharged you, the way I read the terms and conditions you are only charged the amount above $15 and 20% gratuity on that over amount.

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/premium-beverage-package-2019.pdf

On 12/7/2019 at 3:18 PM, BirdTravels said:

Yes. Thank you for the correction. 

No worries! Least I could do to help out after your outstanding review of the cruise we'll be departing on January 19th. I know STT and BVI quite well, since my best friend lived there for decades, and he and I have sailed all around those waters. My wife and I were married there in 2016, at Secret Harbor. We're taking many friends on this cruise back there to show them the wedding site on the beach, and have lunch/drinks at the hotel's tiki bar restaurant. If we have time, we're hittting Duffy's Love Shack before we return on board. Thanks again for the great review!

What a fabulous review! Thank you SO much for all your work, pictures and updates!

I certainly appreciate it and cut/paste quite a few of your pictures of menus, alcohol upgrade information, etc.

into a Word document to give to my dh and dd so they can decide where they want to eat.

I am happy that LaCucina is gone. Being from NY, my family tried it twice, and decided we will only

eat Italian in NY and Italy LOL

Cannot wait to try Los Lobos.

I have a few questions:

*Are the wine dispensers available when you have the alcohol package or will we get charged?

*Do you still get a free ship tour with being Platinum or is that just now reserved for Platinum Plus?

Same with free bag of laundry?

*Do you know if Haven guests get a complimentary lunch at one of the upcharge restaurants as they do on the first day? On Escape, we were able to eat in Margarittaville the first day for lunch.

Where did you end your evenings each night?

Thank you again so much! This was a very informative review!

1 hour ago, js said:

*Are the wine dispensers available when you have the alcohol package or will we get charged?

*Do you still get a free ship tour with being Platinum or is that just now reserved for Platinum Plus?

Same with free bag of laundry?

*Do you know if Haven guests get a complimentary lunch at one of the upcharge restaurants as they do on the first day? On Escape, we were able to eat in Margarittaville the first day for lunch.

Where did you end your evenings each night?

Wine dispensers are NOT part of the Beverage package. 

Thw begins the scenes tour is available to Platinum and above. You must go to Cruise Next desk on embarkation day to sign up. 

One bag of laundry for each platinum and above passenger  

I don’t know if Haven guests  can go to the American Diner on embarkation day. Check with the Concierge. 

Unlike folks that do the same thing every night, we ended our nights somewhere with live music (not DJ). I think San Juan was the only night (after tromping around the city) was the only time we just went to our room. 

On 11/28/2019 at 2:44 PM, BirdTravels said:

Angie, rides are $8 each. You can pay the attendant with your room key. 

You can get an 1 hour pass for $29. Or a day pass for $49. So, if you want to try more than three experiences, get the hour pass and keep riding until the hour is up or you get sick. 

I can't thank you enough. I've sailed on so many ships just after you and I can't thank you enough for your reviews! So helpful! We are on the next sailing, so we are very, very excited and you've had amazing info! I didn't know there was a day pass for the GP. That's amazing news!

Hey everyone, you all were incredibly helpful with my last question, so we have another one  - again, my stepdaughter will be getting married in March on the St. Thomas port day.

For those who got off the ship in St Thomas, how was the process (how long did it take)? Also, we will need a spot on the ship for about 30 people to meet before getting off - any suggestions for an easily identifiable spot OR areas that are next to the gangways? 

Thank you for all your useful information and efforts.  You have saved me a lot of time. 

We are traveling on the Encore this weekend with my son who needs a CPAP machine.

You made a comment about power and CPAP machines.  You said to bring a 12ft and 6ft non-surge power cord.

Why 2 cords?

We also travel with purified water which I understand is exempt from NCLs rules.  Should I expect a hassle when I board?

Thank you.

1 hour ago, dans0202 said:

Thank you for all your useful information and efforts.  You have saved me a lot of time. 

We are traveling on the Encore this weekend with my son who needs a CPAP machine.

You made a comment about power and CPAP machines.  You said to bring a 12ft and 6ft non-surge power cord.

Why 2 cords?

We also travel with purified water which I understand is exempt from NCLs rules.  Should I expect a hassle when I board?

Thank you.

The ship can provide distilled water for free. 

The room configuration will determine the length of cord you will need (since the only power is at the desk). If your son has the sofa bed, a short cord is good enough. For us, a 12’ plus the cord on the cpap go to the nightstand  we have been in NCL rooms where the 12’ cord was too short. 

Thank you

We have been running around Florida looking for distilled water but can only find 1 gallon jugs.  Not very practical to carry on and hold until we get our room at 1:30.  We are going to buy smaller bottles of purified water and hope NCL permits it on.  Wish I had know about the ability to get distilled from the ship.  I assume it needs to be ordered in advance.  Thanks again 

Thanks for this amazing review! I sailed to Alaska on the Joy last summer, but the Encore will be our first warm NCL cruise. I was with a LARGE group and the Local was our go-to for breakfast. It was a great way to have a quick, sit-down breakfast without the hassle of the buffet and was small enough to easily find each other! Even on the tighter track, those gokarts went fast... until someone crashed to hard and they'd turn down our speed 😞

A bit concerned now as to how crowded Splash will get - cruising during Feb break. More important that the teen can get into Entourage. Our younger doesn't mind hanging with us at the pool quite as much.

3 hours ago, dans0202 said:

Thank you

We have been running around Florida looking for distilled water but can only find 1 gallon jugs.  Not very practical to carry on and hold until we get our room at 1:30.  We are going to buy smaller bottles of purified water and hope NCL permits it on.  Wish I had know about the ability to get distilled from the ship.  I assume it needs to be ordered in advance.  Thanks again 

You can call and have the request for distilled water added to your reservation.  That works about 25% of the time. Just track down your room steward to call housekeeping and tell them it was not delivered and to send a bottle up. 

43 minutes ago, cmarsh31 said:

Thanks for this amazing review! I sailed to Alaska on the Joy last summer, but the Encore will be our first warm NCL cruise. I was with a LARGE group and the Local was our go-to for breakfast. It was a great way to have a quick, sit-down breakfast without the hassle of the buffet and was small enough to easily find each other! Even on the tighter track, those gokarts went fast... until someone crashed to hard and they'd turn down our speed 😞

A bit concerned now as to how crowded Splash will get - cruising during Feb break. More important that the teen can get into Entourage. Our younger doesn't mind hanging with us at the pool quite as much.

We were on the Thanksgiving Cruise. There were 1400 kids onboard. After a day, you can figure out when the splash area is busy and less busy. Plan accordingly. 

The teens are fine. They figure out where to go on their own. On our cruise, they took over a small corner of the observation lounge at night and into the wee hours of the morning after curfew. Just hanging out and chilling. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2020 at 12:19 PM, BirdTravels said:

Btw with the itinerary without GSC, we essentially had 4 sea days. It was “essential” to have Thermal Suite access for these days. 

I was thinking the same.

When they changed the itinerary for my 1/19/20 sailing, I removed my upgrade bid. I have a balcony cabin mid ship on deck 14 and was attempting bids for a spa balcony or a mini suite spa balcony. With GSC replacing the last sea day (fingers crossed for good weather), I reallocated those funds to book a large cabana instead.

If everything works out, I'll be much happier and so will the rest of my people.

On the other sea days, I'll be up on deck (deck 17 is my spot) early enough to grab loungers for me, my wife and daughter so I think we'll be ok as we don't let the crowds deter us from having a fabulous time!

I want to thank you again for just the best review on these forums for the Encore.

Not that the others aren't great too but yours has every bit of pertinent info to plan ahead and avoid some common pitfalls.

I feel like I have an advantage after reading your review, which I did for second time this past weekend.

I printed the dailies and took some notes on what I want to do when we first board.

13 days and extremely excited!

Thanks again!

• Like 1

How slow/busy was it getting off the ship in each port?  I remember on past cruises it could be a 30 minute wait in the stairs to get off the ship.  I booked a non ship excursion in St. Thomas that meets at 8:30 but I'm slightly worried I'll be standing in line forever to get off.  I do plan on getting up early and trying to be one of the first off the ship.

Thanks,

55 minutes ago, CaribbeanAmphibian said:

How slow/busy was it getting off the ship in each port?  I remember on past cruises it could be a 30 minute wait in the stairs to get off the ship.  I booked a non ship excursion in St. Thomas that meets at 8:30 but I'm slightly worried I'll be standing in line forever to get off.  I do plan on getting up early and trying to be one of the first off the ship.

Thanks,

There is always a crowd when the gangway opens. People see the ship pulling into port and head on down (even though it could be an hour before the Ship is cleared and gangway Is set). After that, things moved pretty quickly. 

We are never in the “gotta be the first one off” group. We always wakes right up to security with no problems. 

Edited by BirdTravels