Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
rattanchair

Seaside Yacht Club Observations 'Revisited'

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, George C said:

Love all the quotes not many people who will quote Churchill and also Yogi Berra , just got a 1.6 percent raise from social security so maybe we can get that royal suite😁

Dear GC,  Thank you. I am very appreciative that someone finds these quotes poignant. I found a quote I had written down some time ago and again have reflected on it in regards to the CC rules and regulations. It is from Voltaire  " Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said".... For give me should I lapse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mafig said:

Well, it is Christmas week, so one has to expect children.  

 

I'm looking at a Mera. cruise in March, which is Spring Break time in the US, so I'm curious how the YC handles all these "125 little darlings."  LOL.

 

Is the breakdown mostly American, or other?  

Dear Ma,  A scream and a cry are the same in every language, so I really can not tell the nationality as I run in the opposite direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After the lovely and disappointing CC turn out M&M at 10 am we went to the 11am YC party in the TopSail lounge. Anyone who attended both could notice a marked difference. The YC party was packed, standing room only. I got the impression that MSC went a bit above and beyond for the CC M&M with a huge decorated cake that was wasted on the dismal turnout of CC members. The M&M got the TSL piano player for ambience and the YC party got the TSL duo of pianist and violinist. Parties both had drinks, and hors d'oevres, nuts and chips. But the M&M  had chocolate covered strawberries in addition a nicer touch which the higher paying YC guests did not get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our turnout for our last YC CC group was quite large.  You're right, they do go all out for the Cruise Critic party.  It's a shame people don't attend when they've responded that they will.  Was it at a at sea day?  A convenient time?  

The cake was delicious!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, mafig said:

Our turnout for our last YC CC group was quite large.  You're right, they do go all out for the Cruise Critic party.  It's a shame people don't attend when they've responded that they will.  Was it at a at sea day?  A convenient time?  

The cake was delicious!

Dear Ma,  Yes, today is a sea day for both parties, which makes it most disconcerting. Is 10 am a convenient time ? It was 10 am on Thanksgiving as well. There were more staff in attendance than CC guests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rattanchair said:

They have a new sommelier from England and I asked him to check to see if the kitchen had any crumpets on board, I knew he would know the difference than our waiters in the YC. Alas , no crumpets. But they have a lovely "Chateau la Thames" from the left bank as Rumpole loves to point out.


Ahhh...Chateau Thames Embankment...superb!  How we miss Leo McKern.


Give me an English muffin grilled with butter...just as good as a crumpet.

 

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:


Ahhh...Chateau Thames Embankment...superb!  How we miss Leo McKern.

 

 

Yes,  I purchased the entire "Rumpole" collection and attribute my lifelong love of wines with screw tops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rattanchair said:

Yes,  I purchased the entire "Rumpole" collection and attribute my lifelong love of wines with screw tops.


I’m moving in!  Please pass the popcorn and pour the claret!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rattanchair said:

They have a new sommelier from England and I asked him to check to see if the kitchen had any crumpets on board, I knew he would know the difference than our waiters in the YC. Alas , no crumpets. But they have a lovely "Chateau la Thames" from the left bank as Rumpole loves to point out.

 

"Chateau Thames Embankment" – it was an upgrade from his earlier "Chateau Fleet Street"

 

Somewhat like Mark Twain, who observed that he used to smoke cigars that cost $5 a barrel but his taste improved so now he was paying $7 – but that included the barrel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

 

"Chateau Thames Embankment" – it was an upgrade from his earlier "Chateau Fleet Street"

 

Somewhat like Mark Twain, who observed that he used to smoke cigars that cost $5 a barrel but his taste improved so now he was paying $7 – but that included the barrel.

I did not realize there were so many connoisseurs of the finer things in life on the CC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:


Ahhh...Chateau Thames Embankment...superb!  How we miss Leo McKern.


Give me an English muffin grilled with butter...just as good as a crumpet.

 

 Dear Norm,  Problem is DW will not allow me butter, I get around this because the batter used to make crumpets already has the butter mixed into it. (At least it tastes like it has all the butter I desire without the guilt DW adds ).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Joel and Ron are still reading this thread, this Royal Suite still has the problem of the thermostat in the living room chirping like it needs a replacement battery that they reported to us on Thanksgiving; which they tried to have fixed to no avail and warned us about.  I just tried to duct tape the vents on the top and bottom of the thermostat, to no avail. All year long DW says I need a hearing aid because I do not hear what she is saying. I now know she is wrong, I hear this chirping perfectly well. I just wonder how fast I can train myself to tune out this chirping as well as I do my DW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

. All year long DW says I need a hearing aid because I do not hear what she is saying. I now know she is wrong, I hear this chirping perfectly well. I just wonder how fast I can train myself to tune out this chirping as well as I do my DW.

 

 

LOL.  It was just yesterday that I said, in complete exasperation, "I think you need to get your hearing checked!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

 Dear Norm,  Problem is DW will not allow me butter, I get around this because the batter used to make crumpets already has the butter mixed into it. (At least it tastes like it has all the butter I desire without the guilt DW adds ).

 

That’s the beauty of grilling...uses very little butter...one pat for two halves.  Then put a weight on top...like a tea kettle. 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mafig said:

Our turnout for our last YC CC group was quite large.  You're right, they do go all out for the Cruise Critic party.  It's a shame people don't attend when they've responded that they will.  Was it at a at sea day?  A convenient time?  

The cake was delicious!

It was very well attended at the meet n mingle on Seaside in july.  It was actually crowded both weeks.

 

Mafig have you two decided on the CLS for one of your sailings?  We are on Serenade for 3 weeks in a few weeks.  Then back to seaside during the summer  for a couple weeks.  We are actually meeting a couple with a son that was on our Radiance Alaska cruise.  We were looking at CLS on Harmony but cringed on the $16k for one week for 3 passengers.  Mentioned we loved Seaside YC last July and we would be treated very nicely for 2 weeks for the same price.  So we will be sailing Seaside and will have 3 more Royal cruisers trying out Seaside in June for the first time.  Have Vision booked Jan 2021 for 3 weeks as our only other cruise so far.  Waiting for the asia 2021 june cruises to open.  Will not be cruising in Oct for the first time in 5 years.  Will probably spend time at Universal California and Disneyland.  Wife says son is in high school now, so he can't miss school anymore in Oct.  

 

Happy holidays to you two and hope we cruise again soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Holidays to you and your family also, Frank!

 

Hawaii at Christmas must be beautiful.🎅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night was "Chic Night" and I have to report that 90% of the Yacht Club wore formal attire of some sort even the children.  I was never so impressed with the attire as compared to the attire during Thanksgiving. When we ventured out to the Seaview Lounge after the 8 pm show to enjoy Jazz N More ensemble we witnessed the usual matching plaid pajamas walking the main corridors to raid the buffet and run back to their rooms, and of course the lovely white bath robes still being worn after 10 pm. One must never sacrifice comfort for decorum.

   We did have a snafu last night with our butler Julian.  He chose to wait for another group of 10 in his section of the Yacht Club going to the 8 pm show with us. With a family of 10 one can never be certain everyone will assemble promptly as they did not, so we got to the show too late to get our coveted theatre seats and had to sit in the 'cheap' seats outside the YC reserved section. Live and learn. Next time we will just tell whatever butler we have to stay and wait for whomever and we will make our  own way to wherever, just like we use to do before there was a YC. I tell you, Vishnu and Joel are a hard "act to follow".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got to the Seaview Lounge before the jazz group set up for a great front row seat (I still can not see what is two feet in front of me but I still have my 'hearing'). I approached the piano player and asked if he had a CD for sale of the group, that I had been on for Thanksgiving and can not stop humming "Beyond the Sea" since. He thanked me and said he did not and MSC prohibits entertainers from doing so or accepting tips. He was kind enough to say to me he will begin his show with "Beyond the Sea", which he did and was much appreciated because it was way past my bed time and had to leave after the 5th song.

  DW has just informed me that I have more than just one butler on board the Seaside, that she has not stopped 'butlering' me since we left home. ( This came before she announced that Norstrom's has  their "clear the rack" sale on line today)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering about that we normally cruise rccl and most small musical groups would have a tip jar and sell there cds sometimes in the gift shop. Beyond the sea is one of our favorite songs and most jazz groups we listen to in Dallas area play that song . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This morning we docked at Ochos Rios, Jamaica. Breakfast in the YC restaurant was scheduled to open at 8 am. We rose at 6 ,  showered, my first of 3 of the day. The rainfall shower head is sooo nice it invites one to shower frequently, using more energy to distill the sea water, heat the water and use more plush clean (not re-used) towels, putting misguided conservationists in a conniption. Walked all over the ship working up an appetite for breakfast. We arrived at 8 am sharp to get 'our' usual table for two. Somehow a group was able to arrive earlier and took up our waiter and his entire section. I will relate what happened next after lunch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, they must have surmised our breakfast fiasco and made it up to us at lunch, so I will forget the breakfast episode and "forgive quickly" and not mention it further, just to say service is not uniform and who you request and who you get on board any ship can 'make or break' a cruise experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

Well, they must have surmised our breakfast fiasco and made it up to us at lunch, so I will forget the breakfast episode and "forgive quickly" and not mention it further, just to say service is not uniform and who you request and who you get on board any ship can 'make or break' a cruise experience.

 

In my view, the dining room is the weak link in an otherwise excellent experience in YC.  The food is OK, nothing really exceptional except maybe the risotto.  The service can range from excellent to abysmal.  So far, we've seemed to get mostly poor.  On my next try, I will ask to be moved if the first night doesn't pan out.  Actually, the guy we had a couple of weeks ago was OK on the first night, but he went rapidly downhill.  We didn't go to the dining room the last two nights.  Couldn't face that waiter any more.  Went to Butcher's Cut one night and ordered pizzas the other night.  The assistant was fine, and we searched him out at Coco Cay to give him his extra tip.

 

Had a great butler, wonderful cabin attendant, great service up on the pool deck.  Just don't understand why they can't get it together in the dining room. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, George C said:

I was wondering about that we normally cruise rccl and most small musical groups would have a tip jar and sell there cds sometimes in the gift shop. Beyond the sea is one of our favorite songs and most jazz groups we listen to in Dallas area play that song . 

Dear GC,  Yes, the pianist mentioned that he could garner tips on other cruise lines. My only 'beef' with RCCL, which has a good suite product, is that it is diluted , to the detriment of suite paying guests by their allowing Non-Suite Paying Pinnacles access to the limited, supposedly "exclusive" Coastal Kitchen and Lounge. DW and I were asked to wait for dinner with a standing 6:15 dinner reservation , due to their allowing these NSPP access. Since we only drink still water my ire could not be assuaged by alcohol ( I use to be a great wine enthusiast, Les amis du vin, and drinker) and found that only a full bottle usually did the trick and I could wait forever for a table.  But the years have taken their toll and with no present libation, I now hear more clearly my DW whining in my ear, complaining about the service and how we are being treated for the service we are paying for.

  All this being said we booked the new RCCL Odessey of the Seas for Thanksgiving in a GS since the Royal Suite on Seaside is taken. I am a glutten for punishment, and would probably sacrifice the $500 cancellation fee of RCCL should the Royal Suite open up sometime this year for Thanksgiving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

 

In my view, the dining room is the weak link in an otherwise excellent experience in YC.  The food is OK, nothing really exceptional except maybe the risotto.  The service can range from excellent to abysmal.  So far, we've seemed to get mostly poor.  On my next try, I will ask to be moved if the first night doesn't pan out.  Actually, the guy we had a couple of weeks ago was OK on the first night, but he went rapidly downhill.  We didn't go to the dining room the last two nights.  Couldn't face that waiter any more.  Went to Butcher's Cut one night and ordered pizzas the other night.  The assistant was fine, and we searched him out at Coco Cay to give him his extra tip.

 

Had a great butler, wonderful cabin attendant, great service up on the pool deck.  Just don't understand why they can't get it together in the dining room. 

Dear Hap,  You are sooo right in your observation and experience.  That is why I read these boards so closely to find reviews of certain outstanding people on the ship. Booking the Royal Suite, I have been able to request (on board) these outstanding persons.  For example, in the dining room I read about (I am only talking about YC) the fabulous Andre, who was on board in June.  Upon boarding we were escorted to the Top Sail Lounge, lunch at noon. Escorted to the restaurant by our butler, I requested meeting the Maitre d and expressed that I wanted the Andre. We had Andre and Christian, both turned out as described on the CC reviews. We return Thanksgiving and Andre is gone, replaced by Christian and Brando, again excellent service (maybe because I tipped each $200) Christian remembered me (or my tip) from the June cruise and must have passed the word to Brando. Again excellent service.  We enjoyed a certain table for two that overlooked the TSL and the water in the corner and requested only this table for this weeks cruise, but alas Brando was stationed this time on the other side of the TSL. Our table was now in Yohan's. Service our first night was very slow , Brando could not keep up . Yohan came over to our table to explain that this was his section and asked if he could help out Brando (very diplomatic). Yohan threw in the fact that he recognized us from prior cruises and that he was a friend of the famous butler Vishnu and that he too was from Mauritius. Well , we called over the Maitre d and explained that although we love Brando's service, he can not keep up and we will accept Yohan. I tipped Brando $20 , so no hard feelings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I much prefer dinning room on YC to rccl CK but miss celebrity luminae, other issue with rccl is we were on Oasis a week after thanksgiving loved our owners suite but there was a thousand or so children , we did get a very nice rate for that cruise. Our next cruise is a music charter on celebrity that is adults only 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...