Any recent reviews of “Six”

Shidah

I love NCL shows, but for some reason I am not looking forward to this show.  Hope it surprises me.  From the clips I saw a few weeks ago, it sounded like a lot of shrieking and I couldn’t really decipher what the lyrics were.  Maybe it was the recording.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Shidah said:

I love NCL shows, but for some reason I am not looking forward to this show.  Hope it surprises me.  From the clips I saw a few weeks ago, it sounded like a lot of shrieking and I couldn’t really decipher what the lyrics were.  Maybe it was the recording.

Don’t watch the show then. Plenty of other things to do on the ship to keep you occupied.

Edited by yankees111

I saw it on the Bliss a month ago and thought it was really good.  It didn't seem like excessive "shrieking" and you could understand what they were singing.  If the videos you saw were not professionally recorded (meaning someone recorded and posted using their phone, against the wishes of the ship during much of the show) then your issues could be attributed to the recording device.  I checked some videos - it was as I remember it, though one of the videos I saw was from the Bliss and had a couple of "swing" cast members in it compared to the cast I saw.

I loved that some modern touches were brought to the show.  I'm not sure if they're part of the broadway production or if they were some creative choices NCL was allowed.  The show was nearly 90 minutes long if I recall and was very high-energy.

The show is headed to broadway, and if hasn't been nominated for Tony's yet, it likely will be and quite possibly will win some.

It was definitely better than the show it replaced, "Havana!"

I’m not a musical guy at all but the group I was with wanted to see it on the bliss in October and I was blown away. So much that I saw it again on the breakaway last week and it was equally as good. I will say it helps if you are familiar with Henry the 8th’s story. I had watched the Tudors on showtime so it’s easier to understand each wife’s story. It’s not on broadway yet here but I think it’s been playing in London. NCL is so far ahead of the other lines on entertainment, it’s not even close.

• Like 2

Thanks, these are all encouraging.  I’m sure I will like it, haven’t been disappointed by NCL yet.  Well, After Midnight was tough to make it through to the end, but everything else has been great.

9 hours ago, snowmo said:

I’m not a musical guy at all but the group I was with wanted to see it on the bliss in October and I was blown away. So much that I saw it again on the breakaway last week and it was equally as good. I will say it helps if you are familiar with Henry the 8th’s story. I had watched the Tudors on showtime so it’s easier to understand each wife’s story. It’s not on broadway yet here but I think it’s been playing in London. NCL is so far ahead of the other lines on entertainment, it’s not even close.

You just made me feel better about booking this show.  I'm also not a musical guy, but I booked this show based on how much I liked watching the Tudors on showtime.

• 4 weeks later...

I loved it, I think knowing the background of Henrys wives helps, I've watched the six wives of Henry VIII on Masterpiece many times. 

My DH said he thought if someone didn't know the history it might be a bit hard to "get it" he enjoyed the history aspect and thought the performers were very good.

Having seen the stage show Rock of Ages in Las Vegas several years ago, I knew my son and DIL would love it, so we all booked the Breakaway in November so they could see the show.  Well, I was heartbroken when the show changed to SIX the week we were cruising.  My DIL and I are avid Broadway musical fans, so I had my fingers crossed for this one.  We were all VERY pleasantly surprised by SIX.  It was loud, fun, flashy and catchy.  The cast was terrific.  I can understand why this show is headed to Broadway in the near future.  Don't miss it!!

• Like 1

It's a fun show that doesn't take itself seriously at all. The music is styled as a variety of girl-band, Top 40 type songs (you could put them beside a lot of Little Mix, Girls Aloud, Leona Lewis, etc. and it would fit right in). As for diction they're pretty clear because there's a lot of comedy in the lyrics as opposed to the jukebox musicals where everyone already knows the songs. If you're like me and totally at sea on history they'll give a semi fast summary. I can see why they'd want to use it on a cruise ship as the finale is VERY geared towards getting people to leave the theatre excited and amped up. It did very well on the West End and is super popular with the younger demographic.

Thanks for the "reviews".  I have no idea this was about Henry the VIII.  I remember the stories about this topic from years ago, so I will probably do a bit of research on it over the couple of months before my cruise just to have some familiarity of it.  We always see the shows no matter what cruise ship were are on or whatever cruise line we are taking.  Mostly we enjoy them.

I would request that if you even think you may walk out of a show,  please please please only sit in an aisle seat.  It is so disruptive to others when getting up from an interior seat and sliding past others to get out... you block the view of those in your row, and those 5 or 6 rows behind you as well.  Also, usually impacts the hearing of those in front of you, too. Going in to a show with the intention of possibly leaving means a high likelihood of spoiling a portion --albeit short -- of the show for other viewers. 

Any pre-planning you can do to avoid disrupting your fellow shipmates when exiting a theatre performance is much appreciated.  :)

• Like 1

On 11/24/2019 at 8:50 PM, Shidah said:

do you normally like the shows on ships? i hate musicals and singing shows. i never watch them on tv or see them in NYC etc. however. i loved rock of ages and the other dancing show on the BA a few years ago. i found six very entertaining,. i dont like the music of jersey boys at all but the story line was the saving grace there. also jersey is full of foul language so if you are offended def dont go. F words etc. warning in the lobby. i didnt see any kids leave though. 

so if you like shows on ships in general you should be ok with these 2 shows. 

My daughter ( a Music Ed major) sings songs from the soundtrack (and many others) frequently. I had no idea it was available on NCL ships. We haven't sailed NCL since our honeymoon in 1991. Knowing this show is a possibility might nudge us toward trying NCL again.

Thanks!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MamaFej said:

My daughter ( a Music Ed major) sings songs from the soundtrack (and many others) frequently. I had no idea it was available on NCL ships. We haven't sailed NCL since our honeymoon in 1991. Knowing this show is a possibility might nudge us toward trying NCL again.

Thanks!

SIX will appear first on Norwegian Bliss on September 1, 2019, followed by Norwegian Breakaway on November 10, 2019 and Norwegian Getaway on April 23, 2020.

this are the ships with Six

• Thanks 2

On 1/1/2020 at 2:07 PM, styxfire said:

Getaway is also getting "Six"?  Does that mean they lose 1 of their existing shows... Million Dollar Quartet, Burn the Floor, Wine Lovers the Musical, Cirque Dreams Steam...?

I believe that Million Dollar Quartet is being replaced with Six.

I realize you asked about the NCL production, but I drug my husband to it at the Arts theatre in London last September, and its a really modern, fun, catchy show.  It does help to have basic knowledge of Henry the VIII and the saga of his wives, but a quick look at Wickipedia would give you that.  I loved it, and so did my husband (even though he went just for me originally)  If I am lucky enough to be on a ship with it I'm sure I'd try to be there more than once!