Key West scooter rental

SanDiego Single

I haven’t rented a scooter in Key West, but we did in St. Thomas. My cousin’s scooter fell when he didn’t set the kickstand properly and one of the rear view mirrors broke. He got charged $700! And his dispute with the credit card wasn’t approved. So be warned that your scooter rental may end up costing you substantially more than planned. 

6 minutes ago, Tapi said:

I haven’t rented a scooter in Key West, but we did in St. Thomas. My cousin’s scooter fell when he didn’t set the kickstand properly and one of the rear view mirrors broke. He got charged $700! And his dispute with the credit card wasn’t approved. So be warned that your scooter rental may end up costing you substantially more than planned. 

Wow. That's not good. I wonder if you can buy insurance?

4 minutes ago, SanDiego Single said:

Wow. That's not good. I wonder if you can buy insurance?

This was a few years ago, but I don’t even think we had the option. If you do decide to rent a scooter, do check with the rental company what your options are to protect yourself in case of an accident. 

7 minutes ago, Tapi said:

This was a few years ago, but I don’t even think we had the option. If you do decide to rent a scooter, do check with the rental company what your options are to protect yourself in case of an accident. 

Good advice. I thought about renting a scooter in Santorini but saw so many cars almost hitting the folks on scooters and ATV's that I decided against it.

• Like 1

I am from Key West and I don't recommend it.  Will anything happen?  Probably not.  But I was a cop in the Keys for a long time and I can't even begin to tell you how many scooter accidents I saw involving tourists.  In fact, one of the most gruesome fatalities I ever saw involved a tourist on a scooter.  

That said, there is an advantage to scooting around the island so I recommend a slightly larger vehicle like one of those egg shaped electric golf cars.  

• Like 1

We used to live in Key West and there seemed to be an article each week about a visitor being in a scooter accident.  So if you decide to rent a scooter please be careful!

I would suggest a bike might be a safer option.  The island is flat so riding one is easy and except for the long haul out to the beach, everything else is a short ride away. 

Have a great day in Paradise!

47 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

We used to live in Key West and there seemed to be an article each week about a visitor being in a scooter accident.  So if you decide to rent a scooter please be careful!

I would suggest a bike might be a safer option.  The island is flat so riding one is easy and except for the long haul out to the beach, everything else is a short ride away. 

Have a great day in Paradise!

Thanks for your sage advice. I am wondering if you think lots of people will be in town the weekend before Christmas? Another side note. What kinds of events if any do they have in KW during that weekend. Thanks in advance.

31 minutes ago, SanDiego Single said:

Thanks for your sage advice. I am wondering if you think lots of people will be in town the weekend before Christmas? Another side note. What kinds of events if any do they have in KW during that weekend. Thanks in advance.

Yes.  Winter is both snowbird and cruising season in Key West so the population is higher and the area of upper Duval St is more crowded.  

Not sure how much this will apply to you because most events are in the evening, but here's a link the KW's events calendar:

https://keywest.com/calendar/

1 hour ago, SanDiego Single said:

We haven’t lived there in 10 years but at least back then, it didn’t get crowded until after Christmas- folks coming in for New Years and such.  

If you are there in the evening,  we always enjoyed the Conch Train’s tacky light tour. 

52 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

We haven’t lived there in 10 years but at least back then, it didn’t get crowded until after Christmas- folks coming in for New Years and such.  

If you are there in the evening,  we always enjoyed the Conch Train’s tacky light tour. 

Perfect. I love tacky lights!