Worst Back to Back Ever Experienced

wizard-of-roz

I'm glad lots of you were not on the Emerald Princess in Fort Lauderdale November 18th!!!!!!   We had booked Barcelona to Los Angeles as a single entity though most people had it in two legs.  We were, as expected, treated as if we were doing B2B BUT!!!!

There were over 1000 passengers "In Transit" which helped to cause a massive headache for everyone including Homeland Security, Customs, Princess and the crew, never mind the passengers.

My wife wanted to go off and return "immediately".   HA HA HA.   She had to join many of the others in the theatre at 9.30.  She waited and  was the last to be seen in the Arrival Hall at 1.30.   She then was ushered out the door to join the passengers waiting to board and so didn't get back till well after 2pm.

On the other hand I wanted to "explore" and so waited, standing in a queue, on deck 5 from about 9.15 till noon when I got into the Arrival Hall.  What was worse was that the Americans and Canadians were allowed to go while ALL other nationalities were not.  I went into Port Everglades to have a look and do a few chores, not too many as it was getting really hot.   I got back to the ship a little after 1 and was, as I had my room card and asked about "In Transit" treatment, ushered past those trying to board.  By the time my wife returned I had had lunch in the International Cafe and sorted out the chores.

It was an absolute shambles..  I could go on for pages of some of the stories I was told by passengers or crew.  BUT Princess were "wonderful" about it!!!!!!!!   We were all given a voucher for; Wait for it, I said "Wait for it"; drum roll Maestro;  a free drink up to the value of $12.   As most drinks are about $8 and the cost to Princess is, say, $4 most people got $1.50 an hour for the inconvenience.

Bah HUMBUG.  Princess; more like a refuse removal man.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Actually, this is the first time I had ever been asked to march around a terminal, [inside and out], past security, through TSA , Immigration and Security again and again.  I have done Back to Back cruising out of San Diego [we were asked to go to the theatre, where Immigration met us.]   Again, I've done it out of Florida where we were asked to meet in a lounge where Immigration officials met us there.

I have NEVER been asked to go through such nonsense that we were put through on board the Royal in Los Angeles.  The ship as well as the agents knew what we were going to have to go through, they were well aware of the fact that there was a Service Dog with a handler who used a walker.  No one ever approached me to warn me of the walk, nor did they inquire as to whether the dog could handle the long walk, not to mention myself.  I should have STOPPED and said I can't go any further in the beginning as I could see the line moving deeper and deeper into the terminal. 

As I said, I'll NEVER let anyone push me beyond my or my dog's limits again, NEVER!   

Because he's a Service Dog doesn't mean he has to be subjected to rigorous activity, that's not part of his job, nor part of what is expected of him.  Some folks have made the insensitive comment that "he's a Service Dog, he should be able to handle any situation!"  Not only is that comment unkind but it's untrue and such a walk is not entailed in my Service Dogs daily duties.  MY responsibility is to look out for me and my Service Dog and make sure that neither he or I are put through anything that is irresponsible or unnecessary, but this truly blind sided me. 

I don't think Princess treated me with any respect or the dignity that I and anyone else in my place deserved.  I don't want to be treated any differently than anyone else, I just don't want anyone with my limitations to be treated like I was, ever again!  It's the very reason that the ADA became a strong influence in our society and remains a steadfast force for the handicapped.

It was a lesson learned, I allowed it.  Please let this be a reminder to anyone who feels something is wrong to; STOP, approach someone in charge and do what is best for you and your party. 

Quick question; did you sign the Service Animal Agreement with Princess as required prior to your travel? 

15 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Actually, this is the first time I had ever been asked to march around a terminal, [inside and out], past security, through TSA , Immigration and Security again and again.  I have done Back to Back cruising out of San Diego [we were asked to go to the theatre, where Immigration met us.]   Again, I've done it out of Florida where we were asked to meet in a lounge where Immigration officials met us there.

The FIRST time? Wow! You've been lucky. We've done many B2Bs in San Pedro AND FLL and had to do the march for all of them. Never had the experience of sitting and waiting for CBP to come to us.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

The FIRST time? Wow! You've been lucky. We've done many B2Bs in San Pedro AND FLL and had to do the march for all of them. Never had the experience of sitting and waiting for CBP to come to us.

We have done many back to back cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale and have come to realize that on turn around day everything depends on Customs.  If they have the a full contingent of officers on duty, they have in the past mustered all in-transit passenger in the Princess Theatre and once everyone is accounted for, all exit the theatre stopping at the door to be checked by a Customs officer.  Other times, once all in-transit have been assembled, the group in taken off the ship, into the terminal, checked by Customs and returned to the ship.  Either way, it has never been difficult and one of those things that seasoned travelers know will take place.

23 hours ago, 57eric said:

I was under the impression that the US was the only country that required transiting passengers to disembark.  Where else have you (or any other readers) experienced this?

Thanks.

Twenty-four hours having passed without a response, I'm going to go with "nowhere".

On 11/26/2019 at 9:01 AM, weedpindle said:

Princess has no control over the procedure. It is not TSA, only private outfits screening you.

I was wondering about all those references to TSA.  I've never encountered TSA at any U.S. port, just contracted private security companies using outdated equipment for screening (probably more like alcohol  control and detection.)  The only time we've encountered governmental officials has been on disembarkation, and that is usually a cursory passport check (not entry/re-entry.)

1 hour ago, SiliconCruiser said:

I was wondering about all those references to TSA.  I've never encountered TSA at any U.S. port, just contracted private security companies using outdated equipment for screening (probably more like alcohol  control and detection.)  The only time we've encountered governmental officials has been on disembarkation, and that is usually a cursory passport check (not entry/re-entry.)

People don't pay attention. The screeners, all the people in the blue jackets checking you in, directing you on an off the ship are employed by private companies that are contracted by Princess or Carnival Corporation. The only Princess employees you will see in the terminal will be in a ships uniform or serving elites coffee.

1 hour ago, weedpindle said:

People don't pay attention. The screeners, all the people in the blue jackets checking you in, directing you on an off the ship are employed by private companies that are contracted by Princess or Carnival Corporation. The only Princess employees you will see in the terminal will be in a ships uniform or serving elites coffee.

A lot of people also aren't aware screeners at airports may not be TSA employees.  They're more easily fooled, because the private contractors wear TSA uniforms with the initials of their companies on the epaulets.  At some airports the screeners are all employees of private companies (probably due to some political influences that were in place before TSA was formed.)   In others, it just may be a tough labor market, when TSA employees are compensated at  a much lower rated that other Federal employees.

3 hours ago, 57eric said:

Twenty-four hours having passed without a response, I'm going to go with "nowhere".

I have had to leave the ship on back to backs in Sydney (1 out of 3 times there) and once in Southampton (did not have to on one other trip). The times where it was required for both was for trips that arrived from out of country going to back to backs that were mostly in country. Others reported similar experiences earlier in this stream posts 26 and 41.

24 four hours is not exactly a long time to wait considering that some of us travel a great deal and sometimes are off line for quite a while.  I do not use paid for minutes to check cruise critic.

Edited by npcl
  • Like 2

On 12/6/2019 at 1:50 PM, wizard-of-roz said:

I don't want to be treated any differently than anyone else

Actually that is the basis of your complaint against Princess for not having port screening more amenable to you & your service animal's limitations. And yes, if it's too much ASK for assistance.  Sorry you learned the hard way

Got off the Golden in Auckland last Tuesday. Only 600 disembarking but everyone appeared to do the 'dance.' Walk off & rescreen. Also a lot of 'low vision' cruisers but no dogs. They had someone with them and wore a badge stating 'low vision.'

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

Sounds like the OP had a tough day. I feel for them.

But the worst back to back ever?

When we were first married in 1991 we bicycled around the Pacific for a year. In New Zealand, we stayed with a guy who had served in the Merchant Marine during WW 2. The first ship he was on was torpedoed and sunk in the North Atlantic, and then the ship that picked him up was also torpedoed and sunk. I would personally say that was a worse back to back cruise.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/8/2019 at 7:43 AM, RMMariner said:

Sounds like the OP had a tough day. I feel for them.

But the worst back to back ever?

When we were first married in 1991 we bicycled around the Pacific for a year. In New Zealand, we stayed with a guy who had served in the Merchant Marine during WW 2. The first ship he was on was torpedoed and sunk in the North Atlantic, and then the ship that picked him up was also torpedoed and sunk. I would personally say that was a worse back to back cruise.

Aw!  There it is, the responder who manages to plaster a smile on this weary traveler!  I do concede.  I will relinquish my title to this poor Merchant Marine and his B/B winning the Nobel Prize for "Worst Back to Back" on the ocean.

Although, I do believe that Princess practiced some very poor form, I do thank you for sharing this amazing story.

• Like 2

The problem in San Pedro is when two ships are in port. The usual terminal for one ship, is not the problem.

Not much walking. Go through, flash your passports, either go out and enjoy a few hours off the ship earlier, or walk around with the group and sit in area for in transits and wait. If ship is ready to board, then they just board you.

Mass confusion in the other terminal. Not only long lines to go through customs (or whatever they call it), no one seems to know

where you have to go. Those people guiding you, need to be guided themselves. That terminal looks like a partial tent .A couple of years ago we were also mixed in with people leaving, arriving etc. When finally we were told where to go, everyone seemed to be boarding the ship at once in a mass mess. 

Roz, you need to write a letter to Princess. Your situation is bad but the whole setup is awful for everyone. Since we have cruised with you in the past and met your service dog, I feel for you.

• Like 2

I was actually boarding the same day you were re entering your back to back. SanPedro was super slow boarding that day. It was the slowest experience I have had on any Princess boarding. The only thing I can suggest is contacting the cruise company before you go and make sure they will help accommodate you better.  

On 12/10/2019 at 8:18 AM, san diego sue said:

The problem in San Pedro is when two ships are in port. The usual terminal for one ship, is not the problem.

Not much walking. Go through, flash your passports, either go out and enjoy a few hours off the ship earlier, or walk around with the group and sit in area for in transits and wait. If ship is ready to board, then they just board you.

Mass confusion in the other terminal. Not only long lines to go through customs (or whatever they call it), no one seems to know

where you have to go. Those people guiding you, need to be guided themselves. That terminal looks like a partial tent .A couple of years ago we were also mixed in with people leaving, arriving etc. When finally we were told where to go, everyone seemed to be boarding the ship at once in a mass mess. 

Roz, you need to write a letter to Princess. Your situation is bad but the whole setup is awful for everyone. Since we have cruised with you in the past and met your service dog, I feel for you.

Sue, I appreciate your input......you know that Princess has a very special inbox receptacle that they use for such letters.  Just as the Passenger Services Desk treated me with disrespect and avoidance so would such a letter be treated.  

I have so many wonderful and joyful memories from my many past cruises that will over-ride my unpleasant experiences onboard the Royal.  They are what I will think about and remember most.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, qqwer123 said:

I was actually boarding the same day you were re entering your back to back. SanPedro was super slow boarding that day. It was the slowest experience I have had on any Princess boarding. The only thing I can suggest is contacting the cruise company before you go and make sure they will help accommodate you better.  

Have you ever had a conversation with the Princess Access Care Department?  It's an adventure that only Alice falling down the rabbit hole would understand.  First, you're put on hold for hours than you're told there's no one available to handle your particular situation.

When you're traveling with a Service Dog, access can be a complete nightmare.  It's not much better today than it was in 2005.  They are very slow to make any changes and don't like when the public presents them with complicated issues; i.e Carnival Cruise Lines will allow the dogs potty box to be placed on the veranda, while Princess Cruise Lines claims it's IMPOSSIBLE to do.  HAL agrees with Carnival, but you're stuck while cruising Princess;  walking for miles or encountering heavy doors and big lifts to get to the box.  Until there is some consistency in how we, the public who travel with a Certified Service Dog, are treated there will always be difficulties in every aspect of travel, especially on board Princess Cruise Lines.

I am a huge advocate of ADA:  we are on our 3rd elder in the family in a wheelchair.  My Mom spent 18 years post-stroke handicapped.  Dad developed severe Parkinson's with associated physical and senility issues.  My husband has severe back issues.  I'm the one who holds elevators, helps people off shuttles at the port, and is generally extremely tolerant.

However......

I am rather surprised by the multiple posts I've read in recent days on CruiseCritic (several boards) about people feeling entitled so some sort of accommodation or other.  We are all, regardless of handicap or not, responsible for ourselves. I agree with the poster above that a mobility challenged person with a special needs dog has to be proactive, and not assume anything.  Cruises are still oriented to the masses, even though they make some concessions for the handicapped.  

Example:  years ago when my husband developed his back issues, which are greatly aggravated by standing for longer than 10 minutes, I bought him a collapsible stool that weighed a little as possible, was as strong as possible, and fit in the suitcase.  He's stubborn about using it, but when we now are in tendered ports I insist he bring it with him.  Lahaina last month was a nightmare.  One of HAL's tender boats broke down, and the replacement didn't arrive for 45 minutes.  Hot, hot, hot in that sun, and hundreds waiting.  They took people in wheelchairs to a separate line for immediate boarding, but "immediate" was 45 minutes.  Mr. Pcur parked himself next to the guard station on his stool and felt guilty.  But, it was necessary, or he would have been laying on his side on the ground if he didn't have the stool.

My point is we have to take care of ourselves; be proactive.  No one else is going to do it.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, pcur said:

My point is we have to take care of ourselves; be proactive.  No one else is going to do it.

I agree with your point and there does seems to be a spirit of entitlement running though the OP's posts.  I believe the OP is not open to any suggestions from anyone because every time one is made there is a "yes but!"  

Really do not believe their story anyway because we have had many cruises with Princess and always found them to be helpful and accommodating to their guests. 

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

I'm sorry to hear about your experience.  But just out of curiosity, what accommodations would be needed for your service dog?  I would have imagined none of this would have really affected him/her any but I just don't know.

Service dogs are given a box with grass to do their stuff in. Roz was saying Princess doesn't allow it on the balcony but several decks away in an area. She has to get the dog there. She mentioned on other cruise lines the special box is right there on balcony.That is the only accommodation she was referring to.

4 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

I agree with your point and there does seems to be a spirit of entitlement running though the OP's posts.  I believe the OP is not open to any suggestions from anyone because every time one is made there is a "yes but!"  

Really do not believe their story anyway because we have had many cruises with Princess and always found them to be helpful and accommodating to their guests. 

And Princess Luver, when was the last time you needed help yourself from Princess and have a handicap? You are answering for  the masses. I hope you aren't ever in Roz' 

position.Someone you don't even know, please don't label her entitled. She is a very nice lady, handicapped, widow , traveling with a service dog, taking care of  herself and Horton.  And we have met them in person. 

• Like 2