Save the Date

Bell Boy

• 1 month later...

Based on the whole Cunard marketing / branding position, I would be shocked if it were *not* a Queen.  Pity that Brittania has been taken by P&O already (how did *that* happen??).  Personally, I am rooting for Queen Alexandra, although that a bit of a mouthfull. I suspect it will be Anne. 

On 11/25/2019 at 9:37 PM, sfred said:

Thanks Bell Boy.  The wife and I will be on QV that day, on our first sea day out of Rio Brazil.  I'll watch for the news.  I wonder if there will be an announcement onboard?

I shall be onboard too and will be cracking open a bottle of Fizz  ( maybe two) if the announcement is 'not' a Queen 😉 

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Just wondering if Cunard is still planning on officially naming the newship next Tuesday the 11th? 

FWIW this was posted on a Cunard unofficial FB group yesterday

"They’ve delayed the announcement, the captain aboard xyz said it was supposed to be next week but now in 3 weeks time it will definitely be done before the end of the world cruise he said, also hinted that it wasn’t Queen Anne, and think more Cunard Countess"

It is not clear if the poster is on board  a Cunard ship  I have blanked out ship name to avoid any embarrassment

Edited by sogne

26 minutes ago, BlueRiband said:

Is this all hearsay?  The project has a Twitter page #CUN4RD.  But the last post was from October when the start of steel cutting was announced.

no idea merely reporting what was posted on FB by some one who MIGHT be on board a Cunard ship  FWIW I doubt if a captain would make such an announcement

there have been no other postings commenting on this post on FB by various  people I known who are onboard all 3 ships 

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I find the name 'Cunard Countess' diabolical. Just hope the story is not quite correct. Are they trying to flag a decline in standards? A Countess is not a Queen in any way.

There was a Cunard Countess and a sister cruise ship Cunard Princess in the 1970's.  Both passed through several owners over the years.  Cunard Countess eventually became Ocean Countess and met her end in a devastating fire while laid up.  The former Cunard Princess was in service as Golden Iris until 2018 for Mano Maritime.

11 hours ago, sogne said:

"They’ve delayed the announcement, the captain aboard xyz said it was supposed to be next week but now in 3 weeks time it will definitely be done before the end of the world cruise he said, also hinted that it wasn’t Queen Anne, and think more Cunard Countess"

It is not clear if the poster is on board  a Cunard ship  I have blanked out ship name to avoid any embarrassment

this now confirmed  at least delay in announcement by someone on board QM2 although the name might have  been a tease

12 hours ago, sogne said:

The above is possibly an accurate assessment of what the Captain did say - except I heard him hint that the name may not be a queen but may be a countess. The speculation on board is that the name may be revealed at the world cruise gala in Melbourne next month.

• Like 1

I wonder if that's the reason for the delay.

I don't really understand how you can trademark a Queen's name anyway, looking at the other Carnival trademarks they don't include the 3 existing Queens.

https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tmowner/page/search?id=426401&domain=1&app=0&mark=UK00003422742

36 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I wonder if that's the reason for the delay.

I don't really understand how you can trademark a Queen's name anyway, looking at the other Carnival trademarks they don't include the 3 existing Queens.

https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tmowner/page/search?id=426401&domain=1&app=0&mark=UK00003422742

one of the 5 schools within their organisation is Queen Anne's School