Jacques restaurant

roger b

11 hours ago, pinotlover said:

ORV, in his report on the Riveria, said in his very first post in that thread that “ all the food has been very good to excellent “!

He later repeated the same words in a different post.

Many of the posters here are definitely not giving Oceania those accolades! On our August cruise aboard the Nautica we had both several excellent meals and a couple of very low quality. It’s very difficult to decipher exactly what direction Oceania is taking for the future. I do believe that O is ushering in a slightly different concept to appeal to younger Boomers and Gen Xers. I believe this will all become much clearer as the new design of the A ships is made public. Current cruisers will have to decide if that is path they seek. If like ORV you feel everything is just wonderful currently, you have little to fear.

Actually not everything is currently wonderful, but the food is quite good on thIs cruise. 

FWIW, We have tried 3 times to get an extra Red Ginger booking and  haven’t been able to, but each time was offered Jacques. Draw your own conclusion for that. 

44 minutes ago, ORV said:

Actually not everything is currently wonderful, but the food is quite good on thIs cruise. 

Just curious - what is not wonderful?

FWIW, We have tried 3 times to get an extra Red Ginger booking and  haven’t been able to, but each time was offered Jacques. Draw your own conclusion for that. 

Did you take the offers? 🙂

I suspect that they keep track of which restaurants are most popular.

I believe it used to be RG - maybe that's why they put it on Sirena?

45 minutes ago, ORV said:

Conclusion is different strokes for different folks.   WE like Jacques the best but that's just us.  Red Ginger great too bur in guess each of us has our favs.   All good except for MDR  which stinks. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Every cruise  may be different re the food 

Different cooks  in the kitchens  at different times

we have  had good meals  but some  were very bad  usually Red Ginger 

they  must have a photo of us & just try to  kill us 😀

Consistency is what makes a product special. I'm not willing to accept the potential that the food may not be as good due to who's in the kitchen. If they put someone in there who can't produce the expected results he/she should immediately be replaced.

39 minutes ago, wripro said:

Consistency is what makes a product special. I'm not willing to accept the potential that the food may not be as good due to who's in the kitchen. If they put someone in there who can't produce the expected results he/she should immediately be replaced.

Henry for once  I agree with you 😉

They must have recipes to follow  🤔

You should get the same  dish from ship to ship & cruise to cruise

39 minutes ago, wripro said:

Last night's  offering in the MDR was truly  uninspiring  the 5 entrees  were a grilled swordfish fish ,a steak, 2 vegetarian  dishes and a pasta dish,

This seems to be the norm .I think Oceania are trying to be trendy and cater for a younger crowd who are switching to a vegan diet .  

Sadly  the guests  on this cruise  are an older crowd and not Vegans. 

12 minutes ago, roger b said:

Last night's  offering in the MDR was truly  uninspiring  the 5 entrees  were a grilled swordfish fish ,a steak, 2 vegetarian  dishes and a pasta dish,

This seems to be the norm .I think Oceania are trying to be trendy and cater for a younger crowd who are switching to a vegan diet .  

Yes I agree

They seem to be getting into more trendy  things to attract the younger crowd

If they get rid of the long time O cruisers  just think of the  Loyalty OBC/perks they can save  😀

1 hour ago, roger b said:

None of that is particularly appealing to me..   Vegan?  Arrrgh.   Far too trendy for an oldie like me.  We would have had to have room service from a speciality menu.     J

2 hours ago, roger b said:

Very sad!
Why oh why would Oceania want to cater to fad diets?

28 minutes ago, gpgal said:

Well this is similar  but the current  menu is is not as interesting  as the one you quote ,one of the courses last night was a black bean hamburger the other veg offering  was a barley  purse  ?.I questioned  the restaurant  manager today at lunch as normaĺy we have at least some sea food on the buffet  we have not seen any for three days. His reply  was this was the new schedule. 

8 hours ago, RJB said:

When we first started go cruise on O about 15 years ago, from Crystal the R ships were great. Bur things change.  They can not give us most of what the O ships have.  Just the way it is and we have to change too.   Can't wait to see how the new ships look.  If they do not cost cut too much they should be wonderful.  Hopeful. 

It would be interesting to see the results of a current poll about whether O's most often repeat customers prefer more the O or R ships. 

I'm betting that the R ships would win hands down, particularly among those of us who do the longer cruises with the more exotic itineraries.

5 hours ago, Paulchili said:

I suspect that they keep track of which restaurants are most popular.

I believe it used to be RG - maybe that's why they put it on Sirena?

Paul,  we took two of the offers, which we already had one scheduled. We ate there 3 times in 10 days. I enjoyed it each time. 

As far  as what’s not wonderful it’s hard to pin down. Just a bit of overall lessening. Not as many quality choices on the Prestige package, which I know is not important to you, sameness in the GDR menus, GDR closed most port days, more of a mass market feel with hawking of port expert, etc. 

2 hours ago, gpgal said:

No. That's a pretty usual GDR menu.

We should know because we've spent a total of more than 75 nights across 3 different Oceania ships so far this year. Yes, there have been GDR nights where we preferred to eat elsewhere. But, usually, it's because we'd rather be extra casual at the Terrace or we're doing a specialty or because the GDR entree selections didn't wow us. 

What some posters here seem to forget is that, among 700 to 1200 individuals there's going to be significant differences of opinion about "tonight's menu."

IMO, there's plenty to choose from on the GDR menu. However, it may be spread out over several nights. And that can be a problem for anyone on a short 7-10 night cruise when the full menu rotation is closer to 18-21 days. 

Solution for the unhappy folks? Take longer Oceania cruises.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ORV said:

Paul,  we took two of the offers, which we already had one scheduled. We ate there 3 times in 10 days. I enjoyed it each time. 

As far  as what’s not wonderful it’s hard to pin down. Just a bit of overall lessening. Not as many quality choices on the Prestige package, which I know is not important to you, sameness in the GDR menus, GDR closed most port days, more of a mass market feel with hawking of port expert, etc. 

It took me a while to recognize that it looks like a lot of the comments about this GDR menu business relate to a just completed 10 day Caribbean cruise on Riviera(???). If that's the case, it may be very likely that the whole vibe on that "generic" type cruise is far different than what many of us are used to on longer R ship voyages, particularly on Insignia, which caters to. The ATW and multi-segment folks.

BTW, each R ship (though similar in so many ways) has it's own vibe (tied in part to the nature of its most often offered itineraries). But, that's a whole other discussion.

45 minutes ago, ORV said:

more of a mass market feel

Thanks ORV,

This is one of the things that worries me most.

We cruise Princess for itineraries so for us there is nothing wrong with mass market lines per se - I just don't want a "mass market feel"  at Oceania prices.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, drkitkat123 said:

I dunno but IMHO those menus look varied and delicious - I would easily find something every meal

I see they were taken in Sept   so not sure if they have changed since then

they look  much like the ones  we had in April

I did not starve 😉

• Haha 1

We are currently  on marina. Ate in GDR last night. First time on this cruise....i had a really good muligatwany soup, with main dish lamb curry. Very tasty.   Hubby had the crab cake appetizer  and a pesto ravioli. He liked it. For dessert  we both had bananas foster....didn't look like any bananas  foster i've ever had.  A phylo cup with bananas and I think brown sugar.  Tasty but not what I expected.     

I guess we were talking about Jacques going away. So far only one report. 

Back to off topic. I’ve been reading reports for months about people being unhappy with the sameness of The GDR menu on multiple ships and multiple itineraries. So no, not isolated To one ship in one area. 

15 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

It took me a while to recognize that it looks like a lot of the comments about this GDR menu business relate to a just completed 10 day Caribbean cruise on Riviera(???). If that's the case, it may be very likely that the whole vibe on that "generic" type cruise is far different than what many of us are used to on longer R ship voyages, particularly on Insignia, which caters to. The ATW and multi-segment folks.

BTW, each R ship (though similar in so many ways) has it's own vibe (tied in part to the nature of its most often offered itineraries). But, that's a whole other discussion.

What is the difference where the cruise goes to? They are not charging me any less. The food in the MDR should be the same.  The menu in the dining room was lousy from start to finish including the one for lunch.  The rest of the restaurants were wonderful as usual  including the terrace. Should be able to get it right. 

1 hour ago, ORV said:

I guess we were talking about Jacques going away. So far only one report. 

Maybe  a rumour started  as a talking point  😉

Maybe they are  looking for the right   Vegan chef to be  the new face of Oceania 😎

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe  a rumour started  as a talking point  😉

Maybe they are  looking for the right   Vegan chef to be  the new face of Oceania 😎

In that case this old face will go away and I suspect many others will also.