Roatan/Costa Maya

Elovesme99

HI - we're on the Western Caribbean Cruise 12/22 leaving New Orleans.  Is there anything to do when we port at Roatan or Costa Maya that is NOT already an excursion?  Right now the excursion we were hoping to book is no longer showing on the NCL website. I know this may not mean it's sold out but just in case it is...I see I can book something directly with South Shore Zipline (this would be an Eco Walk) but I wasn't sure how that "interfaces" with our party members who booked to go ziplining through NCL and others who may want to go to the site and do something else.  Has anyone booked directly with South Shore zipline and was it seamless the day of the excursion?

http://www.southshorezipline.com/contact/index.html  Thanks everyone!

we went to Little French Key on Roatan, non cruise line excursion.  I thought it was one of the best 3 excursions of my lifetime. 

Costa Maya we took a taxi to a beachfront bar run by an expatriated American.  cash only.  it was decent, solid: not spectacular.  but worth the cost we incurred.  

Costa Maya has a nice little mall right in the port area.  It's the one port on that itinerary where I don't feel an excursion is necessary.  Aside from the shopping, there is a small pool and some small demos/shows happening within walking distance from the ship.

The port in Roatan is much smaller and less interesting.  If you don't have plans for an excursion, I don't consider it worth getting off the ship there.

1 hour ago, havanadaydreaming said:

"Costa Maya we took a taxi to a beachfront bar run by an expatriated American.  cash only.  it was decent, solid: not spectacular.  but worth the cost we incurred." 

Tropicante. Worth the trip. Check it out online. Steve, the owner is great. 

Absolutely Maya Chan!! It is a wonderful place to spend the day. They will pick you up and return you right at the dock. The price included wonderful food, drinks, and water sports. There is plenty of shade, sun, hammocks, chairs. When we went it was $50/day per person and well worth it. It's a private beach owned by Americans. Highly recommended.

Maya Chan is run by some of the nicest people I have ever meant and other than the shopping mall right off the ship, it is one of the few places I would consider in Costa Maya. 

Roatan has so many options from booking a tour through one of the large tour company. Our favorite is Ronny's but thee is another that is great as well. I think it is Bordones of something like that.The other option is to just walk off the ship and find a taxi driver who will take you to the West side beach location or the Little French Key. Some people are not crazy over Roatan. For us, it is one of our favorite ports. 

I’m on this same sailing!

We are going to Maya Chan. We’ve been there before and loved it, and they have a discount for returning guests. It’s a fantastic beach day. 

In Roatan, since we’re there on Christmas, we didn’t see any good excursions that seemed worth it. We’re staying onboard and giving ourselves another sea day. We have spa passes, so we’ll probably be up there all day. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, bostonfred said:

How is water and sand for swimming...we spend a lot of time in the water...

The water is lovely and there are snorkel sets, floats, water loungers, etc. to take whenever you want. There's a raft out a little way to jump off of, and a dock. There can be some seaweed in your first few feet but it's no big deal. Your reserved spot is your own area with correct number of chairs and usually a bed. They limit to 50 per day. The food is cooked in front of you and the bar is open all day. David is a gracious host and can't do enough for you. The sand is soft. It does take 20 minutes to get there, but the ride through town is interesting. It's the friendliest, most welcoming place I know of in Mexico.

• Like 1